NGD: Solo DIY kit

Super fun project and you will have a Tele! Sweet!
I redid my first old beater strat. It cost $30, so wouldnā€™t have lost much messing it up.

One thing I have learned from this and other projects (and a friend who fuels his GAS by building) is to pay attention to the frets.

After market necks and kit necks may be mostly ok, but the frets can make or break the guitar. Get those frets right and your instrument will sing. Ignore them and it may be frustrating to play.

Even a pretty cheap neck can be made awesome with love, care and elbow grease.

Donā€™t be afraid of the frets. They arenā€™t that hard to clean up and, if you are willing to work slowly and carefully, you donā€™t need much in the way of tools.

I have used a straight piece of wood 3cm or so square and 20-25cm long with the corned trimmed flat. Then fine sandpaper can level and crown the frets. A small jewelry file is good for any sharp edges. Tape the fretboard first!

A fret rocker is helpful, but I have used other straight objects of various lengths.
Music Nomad has some less expensive stuff if you feel you need to buy something, but if you are willing to be fastidious, you can do fine without.

1 Like

What an inspiring project, Mari. Iā€™m sure you will have fun and learn a lot along the way. Look forward to the next update

@Jamolay thanks for all that information. The only extras I got other than the kit were some shielding paint, and a fret rocker! (After watching a YouTube video) So I am all prepared to start putting it together tomorrow, and yes paying special attention to the frets. :smiley:

@DavidP I hope Iā€™m not setting myself up by building this project up too much lol. I do plan to have some kind of an update by the end of the weekend.

If you have the fret rocker you are good to go! It is worth a small effort to get the frets right!

1 Like

I put my new guitar together yesterday. It looks like it took the guy on YouTube half an hour or so, but it took me most of the day! I had to watch a few more YouTube videos, and chat with a friend of mine re truss rod adjustments, but overall it went pretty good. Everything is from the kit, no upgrades at all, even the strings are the crappy strings from the kit. I was happy I spent the extra $20 for a solderless kit so I could put it together without a soldering iron (which I donā€™t have). Iā€™ll have access to a soldering iron when I do the finishing, but this way I could put it together on my own to test it out. I didnā€™t put all the screws in the pick guard, because it wasnā€™t necessary just to test it out, and I didnā€™t put the spring tree retainers on at all, because those holes arenā€™t pre-marked and I donā€™t want to realize theyā€™re not in the perfect spot when I put the guitar together again after itā€™s finished. I also didnā€™t use the shielding paint yet. I donā€™t really understand grounding so I have to read some more and watch some more videos to figure that out. Thereā€™s actually not a lot of noise, but there is some, so that paint should presumably help.

Iā€™ll need to wait a bit now before finishing it since Covid cases are pretty high and Iā€™ll be going over to a friendā€™s wood-working shop to work on the finishing. I talked to him about plans today, so that will be underway at some point. Iā€™ll take the guitar apart, finish it, then put it back together again. Then Iā€™ll spend some more time on the set up before I decide if Iā€™d like to upgrade anything (excluding strings, there will definitely be new strings). Iā€™ve already learned a bit about maintenance, as there was a pretty major buzz on the lower frets at first and I did get the truss rod adjusted correctly, while also learning something about the bridge saddle screws and adjusting intonation. I could certainly do more work on the set up, but since Iā€™ll be taking it apart and putting it back together again I decided to wait until then. I did realize just now while playing it that although the fretboard is pretty decent, the frets need some more work as I nicked my finger enough to bleed a bit while sliding up the fretboard.

Thereā€™s a lot more to do yet, the finishing has quite a few steps with potentially multiple days in between, but even at this point Iā€™m very happy with my purchase. Imperfect playing aside, I thought I would put up a short demo to show that it is in fact playable. The strings kept going out of tune, and the 1st string fell off the nut a few times. To be fixed after the finishing ā€¦

7 Likes

Great update Mari, thatā€™s what always trick my mind when you watch someone building something in a timelapse that lasta 6min long where in reality itā€™s more like 16 hours :rofl:

Looks great and interesting itā€™s a non soldering guitar kit didnā€™t even know there is something like this! :exploding_head:

Sounds really good, how much you have left to do then?

1 Like

Look good Mari canā€™t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

Cool project, youā€™re braver than Iā€™ll ever be, putting together a guitar!
Looks good too!

1 Like

Thanks @adi_mrok @stitch @LievenDV . The finishing will take a lot more time than putting the guitar together, but if I can put it together itā€™s not too difficult! There are 5 Build Challenges on solomusicgear.com, and this one is Level 1.

Adrian, I think that it really wouldnā€™t take much time at all if I knew what I was doing. Re time left to finish it overall, well the finishing will be what takes time. Taking everything apart should take no more than an hour, and putting it back together again after itā€™s finished no more than a couple of hours now that I know what Iā€™m doing (kind of). For the finishing though I need to sand it, prime it, paint it, and seal it, most of that multiple times, over multiple days, so that will be time consuming. That doesnā€™t include additional research on how to do all of that, but it will easily be a couple of months before weā€™re comfortable working in close quarters so I should get all that done before.

Re the solderless wiring, the wires go into ends which then go into each other. You can see on these photo the red end cap things, the ones at the bottom are on the wires that came from the 2 PUPs, and they will fit into the red end things on the wires coming out of the cavity that has the volume knobs and PUP selector (I donā€™t know what those ends are called). They kind of snap in, so Iā€™m not entirely sure that they will come apart easily. My friend figures they will, but worst case scenario if they donā€™t we should just be able to cut the wires right at the edge and then he can help me solder them together.

2 Likes

This sure looks like a lot of fun :smiley: Those double-neck kits would probably take a few months for me to put together thoughā€¦

1 Like

Looks great Mari really like to follow this kind of subjects. I needed to sand, prime and paint 3 bedrooms before I moved in so I already feel your pain in doing that but additonally on a wood, you are definitely up for an adventure :laughing: good luck!

2 Likes

Bravo, Mari, congrats on progress made on the project. Sounds like youā€™ve learned a lot, had fun, and have a playable guitar to show for your efforts.

1 Like

Excellent stuff Mari, the guitar looks good.

I really like the natural colour of it. It also sounds good too. Have you decided what finish you are going with? Is there a special paint you use?

I canā€™t wait to see the finished product.

1 Like

Looks as if itā€™s gonna be good Mari, welcome to the world of messing with guitars! Now youā€™ve got the feel for what needs doing you may find that you can do some routine maintenance and save yourself some money!
When I started messing I bought junk shop guitars and got them working properly, it made me a bit of cash (for the next one :grin:) and was fun. Being able to build your own gives you the tools needed to make a Custom guitar that is unique, when you get there itā€™s very satisfying! Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished instrument! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Looking good Mari, youā€™ve done a great job.

Intrigued about the solderless connections. When I pimped the Affinity and added the Iron Gear pickups, it was more like welding meets a lava lake !!

Plan was to upgrade one of my Washburnā€™s with some wilder HBs or P90s but I bottled it and put things on hold because of the soldering side of things. I looked a kits like Obsidian but still in two minds. Your methods seems easier and I could use the existing Pots and Caps. Are they guitar specific connectors ? Canā€™t seem to find anything similar.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks like great progress and sounding good - looking forward to final finish!

I think they look like a type of crimp connector where you strip the wire back, put it on a ā€˜pinā€™ and crimp it down and it slots into the plastic casing with a click. They then connect and clip together. This sort of thing I think: JST RCY Connector - Male/Female Set (2-pin) - PRT-10501 - SparkFun Electronics

1 Like

@Jozsef @adi_mrok @DavidP @SgtColon @DarrellW @TheMadman_tobyjenner @grayal Iā€™m really enjoying this project, although I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll get to the finishing work. Hopefully Covid restrictions wonā€™t delay it too long before I can do the work in my friendā€™s shop . I do have a plan for the finishing but Iā€™m not going to share it just yet as I donā€™t know if thatā€™s what Iā€™ll end up doing. I do have a picture in my mind though.

Al, thanks for sharing that connector info for Toby, I googled it yesterday when I insert the picture but I couldnā€™t find a name for them. The link you provided seems to me exactly what they are.

Darrell, yes I am already brave enough to try a few minor maintenance things on my other guitars, when before this all I would do is change strings

3 Likes

Thanks Mari, may be a quick way of get the HB32 smoking. :volcano:

1 Like

Looks great Mari. Canā€™t wait to see it finished.

1 Like