Notter - March 2022 - Pink Floyd, Green Day, Oasis, Eric Clapton

Thanks Lieven, I’ve only had a handful of attempts playing standing up, they did not go well! :rofl: But as always it’ll be down to practice, I’ll definitely do it more.

I know my posture sitting isn’t great which also doesn’t help vocals at this point, as many others have said I need to let go, far easier said than done but I’m determined get there.

Appreciate the guidance and support - Mark

1 Like

Honestly guys I can’t be the only one who thought by seeing the title it’s Fleetwood Mac’s Songbird! :smiley: Nevertheless surprised by the song and even more positively surprised by your performance, glad you shared it with us as it was really solid. You have a good understanding of rhythm which will serve you well, Jason had a good suggestion - a bit more brave on the vocals and it will be even more fantastic! :slight_smile: All the best.

2 Likes

@adi_mrok

The thought crossed my mind, Adrian. Listened to Rumours on the way to work yesterday, what an awesome album, among the finest of its kind!

2 Likes

@adi_mrok Pretty popular song title to be fair Adrian!

1 Like

:laughing: that’s true, Mark.

I’ve not listened to much Oasis and wasn’t listening to radio stations back in early 2000s when this song was charting and must’ve been getting airtime. So my first thought went to what I know ie the song off Rumours.

Same thing happened to me when @TheMadman_tobyjenner posted a recording of Waiting For a Friend. Can’t remember whose song he was covering but my mind went straight to the Stones song of almost the same title. And a quick Google on just the title returns the Stones version (similarly the Fleetwood Mac version of Songbird)

All part of the Community fun, getting surprises and hearing new songs.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Oasis getting some love in the forum at the moment; good to see/hear.
Great song, very nicely played.
Nice deep vocal - got a feeling that will be put to good use in future songs.

Noticed your comment on the community:
I’ve been a member a good while now (think it’s over 10 years - time flies.) The main thing i’ve noticed in all that time is that there is a distinct lack of ego, which you may find elsewhere. It’s not about who is best, or this player being a guitar god. It’s all about enjoying what we do and passing on what little bits of advice/support we can.
I think, and hope, you’ll enjoy your time here.

Digger

2 Likes

Hey Stephen, thanks for checking out the song! Progress is coming with the vocals, posting here is certainly making me think about what to try out next!

You’re absolutely right, it’s the collective encouragement that shines through here and lack of ego. Everyone remembers what they’ve gone through to get to whatever level they’re at which is all you can ask for!

Great to see this “invasion” of Oasis songs here, or should I say I’m…Mad fer it? :rofl:
That was really nice Mark, it’s seems it was a real breakthrough from your comments, I’d encourage you to keep at it, you’ll get more and more comfortable with it as you go along.

But it was a great listening, thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Cheers Kevin, I’m lining up Whatever as another Oasis entry into AVOYP hopefully over the next week!
90s was my teenage music era so plenty of Britpop on its way! :rofl:

That sounded really good Mark. You’re doing an awesome job playing and singing. Whenever I try to do that my strumming goes right out the window :rofl:. Please keep up and waiting to listen more from you.

Bdw, you might already know this, but just an FYI you can just paste the URL of the YouTube video (the link we get clicking the share button) directly here and the video will be embedded :grinning:

1 Like

Well done, Mark. It’s good to see some more Oasis fans in the community. Looking forward to what you share next.

1 Like

Thanks @Sarahsus2, definitely more to come!!

@swashata no I didn’t know that about the links, thanks for the tip and for your comments, persist with the playing and singing. I can’t really say I’ve got it yet, it works with that song but it took a lot of practice, at the moment it’s very much song by song, I can’t just start with a pattern and immediately sing with it at all!! Practice will be our friend, stick with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s a yes from me Velvet Voice :yum:

1 Like

:innocent: Thanks Maggie! Told you I wouldn’t stop :wink:

1 Like

I’d be upset if you did :bat:

Hey Everyone…
I recorded this song a while ago but as individual tracks (rhythm, vocals and licks) so wanted to try and get the rhythm and vocals combined which is what this video is. I’m taking Rod’s approach of if it’s “good enough, send it” as there’s a few sloppy D chords in there that came out after hitting the record button but overall I’ll take it right now and there’s other songs to work on. I’m going to revisit at some point though for sure.

Capo on first fret to get the song more in my range which I feel like has helped and I was trying to concentrate more on vocals in this so hopefully it comes across a bit more confident.

As an aside, I tried doing this standing up as Lieven suggested on my last AVOYP and it’s coming along slowly but I’m beginning to get a feel for it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy! - Mark.

13 Likes

It’s coming along well, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re getting the feel for playing standing up Mark. I think you’ll find a great deal of benefit in it. I have an idea it will liberate you in so many ways.

As I watch you, there is so much tension in your body, your face, your jaw. You’re hunching over the guitar too. Standing up will remedy a great deal of this. It’s also easier to use a mic standing.

You know I love your voice. I want to hear the best of it. Get closer to your mic, explore the possibilities of your breath. You may also want to experiment with the position of the neck of your guitar.

3 Likes

Thanks Maggie, you’re absolutely right on the seated posture, it seems a bad habit I have got into that needs work anyway.
The practice I’ve been doing standing has been noticeable in terms of feeling a bit looser, controlling the guitar neck feels very odd at this point and in some ways it seems my fretting hand is a little bit lost. But for the few song run throughs where it worked it felt pretty good.
Thank you for your words of encouragement and taking the time! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also should have asked do you have strap locks on your guitar? An absolute must. @TheMadman_tobyjenner may jump in here with a graphic illustration.

Oh yeah I hear you on the fretting hand feeling lost. You’ll find that as you learn new songs standing up it will feel more natural. You won’t have the muscle memory of playing sitting down to change.

1 Like