Notter's Learning Log

:rofl: Don’t worry Maggie, I firmly believe in balance!!

1 Like

That’s outstanding Darrell, you can tell you’d put a lot of time and work into that! I look forward to the day I can do something similar.

1 Like

Mark, you have noticed that you have guitar-gear ‘soul-mate’ in North Carolina, haven’t you?
@Burnspot celebrated a PRS SE ngd not so long ago and has since added a THR 10ii to his stable :smiley:
We’re going to have to start a THR club soon, even if it’s just to fan the flames towards @tRONd’s gas cannister, forcing him to do a Dylanesque ‘Judas’ :rofl:

3 Likes

:heartpulse: my PRE SE absolutely great guitar for rocking out on…sound is fantastic.

1 Like

Hahahaha!!! Dylanesqe judas :rofl:

PRS + THR niche sub-community!! :rofl: :wink:
Probably a step too far I think…!

Hello to all!
It’s been a fair while since I last posted, I got stuck in a little bit of a rut over a few weeks of feeling like I wasn’t progressing and struggling with a bit too much repetition of my songbook. Having said that I’ve still been playing and practicing and the last couple of weeks it’s all sparked again I’m pleased to say. As a consequence whilst I’ve still been lurking here I’ve not stayed “involved” :frowning: . Time for that to change!!

I’ve still been on module 12 practice work and am finally ready to share a bit of recorded progress of which this is the first, a reasonable go at Basket Case as my power chord work is starting to show some rewards. I’ve found these far harder than I had thought I would, or hoped I would anyway. The intro and early piece of the song is a little sloppy but could have spent hours repeating the recording so I’m going for it!! Overall I’m feeling good with the rest of the module so will be moving to module 13 over the weekend.

Really hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the move into better weather (in the northern hemisphere anyway!!), looking forward to having more of a proper catch up on the rest of everyone’s progression and journey.
Mark.

1 Like

Glad to hear you are still at it, Mark. We all have our ups and downs I guess. Loved the power chord riffing you shared. The rhythm sounded steady, think your muting of the E string was on point, and the tone was just right for a punk rocking tune.

1 Like

Nice one, Mark :smiley:
I blame @TheMadman_tobyjenner for sucking the mojo out of the community :laughing:
The lack of Norman-antics has affected more than one!
All seems to be on the up again, though, and power chords on a punky tune are just the way to kick out the jams.
Fab tone coming out of such a beautiful guitar… What’s not to like?
Well, I could have done with a louder backing track, but that’s being picky :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @brianlarsen , @DavidP .
I have been enjoying exploring some beefier tones I have to say, can’t beat a bit of oomph imo :slight_smile:
We can whack up the backing track next time around!

2 Likes

Great stuff Mark. A power chord workout - well done.
Power chords are something I’ve never quite mastered. I play a ‘sloppy’ full barre chord and just hit the 3 low strings. Good on you for doing them properly.

1 Like

Cheers Gordon, I can’t believe my first time around trying to learn guitar all those years started with power chords, not as straightforward as it says on the tin I think!! No wonder I gave in / up!!

Is there any other kind? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

That was great Mark and I can relate to everything you said in your lead up to the recording.

That’s exactly where I feel I am at the moment. I went away for a week and when I came back I just couldn’t get back into practising Module 12. I’ve spent the entire week just learning new songs using the basics I’ve learned from the previous modules. Your post could not have come at a better time to give me that bit of encouragement to crack on with Module 12.

Cheers mate, keep up the good work. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Great to see you back Mark, and nice progress! I think we all go through ruts. I find what helps me is trying to learn something new to spark that curiosity again. Which it looks like you’ve done.

Great to see you rocking out.

@Socio Thanks James, difficult to describe really the ‘rut’. I was still picking up the guitar and still having fun but it just felt like there should have been more somehow or other. I appreciate your comments and I’m sure you would have got your mojo back anyway, I’ve liked what you’ve shared always and look forward to more :+1:

@jkahn Likewise thank you, you’re absolutely right, battling something new is a fine motivator. I think I let the power chord struggles dominate which hasn’t helped, I could have spread the load a little more. Rest assured I’ve not lost the desire to pick up and play!

2 Likes

Hope everyone had a good weekend, welcome to Monday :frowning:

This is the second of my mini-update / catch-up as a progression log of my barre chords, a run through of Californication with the app backing track (still not loud enough on the backing though I’m afraid :rofl:). I remember the first time I ever played through this when practicing mini-F and almost despaired, then I got to the bridge section and thought I’m never going to do this!! But yet again practice seems to work, funny that!! :wink:

This is the first time I’ve recorded using OBS which seems to have come out well. The Logitech software I was using before had no option to “mono-ise” the input from my Scarlett, it wouldn’t take the Windows settings for some reason, but OBS seems generally more flexible the more I use it. I’d also noticed that the Logitech software recordings seems to be out of synch a little with the audio, thinking it didn’t like the audio interface in general, OBS seems to be better with that too.

Anyway, a couple more recordings planned in the near future with a return for my vocals, for good or for bad is up to debate :wink:

Have a terrific week everyone :+1:

2 Likes

As close to John Fruscicante its possible to come Mark!!

Great job, sounded awsome :fire::fire::fire:

Thanks Trond, I’d still say Frusciante is a fair way in the distance but at least I’m on the road :wink:

Hahahahah!!!

Thought it sounded really good!!
I am impressed…

Mr. Frusciante is not way off Mark, would say just around the corner :rofl::rofl::rofl: