OBS 28.1.0 New Audio Feature

Yes but was that pushing audio through Reaper first? I doubt Justin is doing that.I suspect he is just going AI OBS Zoom but we don’t know. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just checked Blues Club #1 recording and the audio is definitely in advance of the video.

So I would suggest two things.

1. Make sure Justin is using the Virtual Cables to link OBS and Zoom. OBS takes longer to process video than audio, so if audio goes direct to Zoom it will arrive earlier . Mic/Aux will need to be set to Monitor and Output for the VC to pick up the audio.
  2. If he is try the OBS Adv Audio Setting Sync Offset and start around 50ms. See it that helps and tweak.

I see in the OBS mixer he doesn’t see to be using an AI, so not sure of his audio source.

:sunglasses:

Point 3 in this video, although resolving an echoing issue, shows a different way of setting up the Virtual Cable by adding an Audio Monitor source to the Audio Input. Interestingly this guy adds a default 100ms delay.

Sharing, as 100ms may be a better starting point. :sunglasses:

I haven’t asked Justin yet.

I spent time with OBS and Zoom today.

Video feed to Zoom from OBS Virtual Camera.
Audio feed to Zoom from interface.
The audik NOT passing through OBS.
It worked with no sync issues.

Why send audio through OBS if it isn’t necessary and causes sync issues

From my end you can skip OBS even in this setting as well and it’s all dandy. I use OBS Reaper setup only when need to run a BT and FX on guitar, as my interface has only 2 inputs.

Good question but I’ve never had sync issues using the virtual cables from OBS to Zoom, only when Reaper was in the equation.

When you say “no sync errors” is that your perception while performing live or based on a recorded video in Zoom ?

We do not seem to get any sync issues at the normal OMs and a few folks are using OBS to Zoom, so I wonder if Justin is doing something different. As I said before I don’t see an AI as his OBS audio source, assuming it was his screenshots ?

The screenshots I shared aren’t from Justin. Sorry if that was misleading.

1 Like

Quite agree Adi, OBS is optional unless as you say you are using it as an interface between a DAW (Reaper) and Zoom, even then you can cut out the middle man, as per @serhat69 Ableton to Zoom guide.

If there is no specific reason to use OBS, then just set up the webcam and audio interface in Zoom ala KISS. And just as easy to declare a replacement camera should your primary go pop like it did in Blues Club #3.

1 Like

As a small observation, I suspect Justin is using OBS on a Mac where a lot of the options for audio routing could be quite different, because the audio subsystem on each platform is different.

For instance, on my Linux laptop, when I look at the possible Sources, I see this which, I suspect, is quite different from what you see on Windows:

I think the same is true for the Virtual Camera capability (which, I assume, Justin is using to connect OBS to Zoom). The implementation will be platform-specific because it has to use the OS-specific method of presenting itself as a camera so that other applications see it.

For example, on Linux, camera devices are supported through a driver framework called “v4l2” and the Virtual Camera is implemented using “v4l2-loopback”. The Virtual Audio capability is supported using either Pulseaudio or Jack depending on the target application (I suspect, in future, we will see OBS for Linux start to use Pipewire for both audio and video).

This will be different on Windows, and different again on Mac.

So, if Justin is using a Mac, experimenting with these things on a different platform may not be that helpful.

By the way, I’m not that familiar with the equivalent subsystems on Windows, and even less so on the Mac.

It’s worth considering that, with OBS, the virtual audio and virtual video used to link OBS to other applications are normally completely separate from each other and use different and independent OS driver subsystems. These OS subsystems are not synchronised or linked in any significant way.

It’s entirely possible and, indeed, likely that the latency in the OS subsystem for video camera support is different from that for audio device support. And it will be different for each platform.

To me, it sounds like the sync issue is being caused outside of OBS.

Tweaking the sync offset using the advanced audio properties should work but it will probably need to be a matter of some trial and error involving some private Zoom sessions and some hand clapping.

The important point is that this needs to be done using the same platform as the system that will be used “in production”.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Richard

I know this one tailed off and Justin’s OS could be different to my Win10 PC but I did a test dry run video recording from OBS to Zoom yesterday and there was a marked latency present, that I had not really noticed before. I fiddled with the Sync offset between 100 ms and 120 ms but finally settled on 115 ms before getting bored with the process. No real chance to fine tune today let alone play but I hope to do some rehearsing tomorrow !

The only reason I mention this is going back over old OM recordings (not my OBS Dry Runs) I noticed that there is some sync issue on some recordings and not on others but none as obvious as this weeks experience !

This probably doesn’t help at all, especially as I am sitting here think “to offset or not to offset”.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

I wonder if this is a result of different settings or setups, or if the sync offset could vary due to, for instance, system load or something, which would be quite problematic.

Cheers,

Keith

That could certainly be a factor, as I have a number of background monitoring task running at certain times of the day and the PC can seem ponderous at times. When I get some dry run and level check time later today, I’ll make sure there just essential tasks/apps running when recording in zoom via OBS - see what happens with the sync. Good points as always sir :+1:

I confess I have not followed up with Justin. He had an offer of help that he may have taken up.

For myself …

I have scrapped all hopes of using OBS just now.

I use Zoom everyday with no issues.
I never use OBS.

Stupidly I used OBS as my virtual camera in the first Vintage club.
I was kicked out of the meeting multiple times.
I was automatically re-joined but, of course, original sound was off at those moments.
Rather flustered at all the glitches I neglected to check several times.

I fell flat on my a##e in a very public way.

Goodbye OBS.

And ggrrr.

2 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up Richard, just like the odd bum note or missed word, the audience don’t care. The main thing was VC#1 was a success despite the glitches. Onwards and upwards my friend.

And its about time Zoom sorted OSFM out so it stays set. What is the point is setting the option in Preferences/Settings and it does not carry that across to the meeting doh !! :angry:

1 Like

:grin: … take it easy on yourself … just take a look at this

1 Like

+1 on VC#1, an interesting hour or so and Zoom didn’t spoil the party. We all know it’s tough when the " red light" is on.
I do share the frustration with Zoom, and how they seem to endlessly tinker and break things that didn’t need fixing.
KISS … :sunglasses: