Ohmygato - April 2022 - Grade 1 Exam Songs #1 Brown Eyed Girl + #2 Chocolate Jesus + #3 I Walk The Line + #4 A Girl Like You

Dan, I recommend taking a listen to some of his American Series albums. These are almost all covers, his interpretations, produced with Rick Rubin. His rendition of Hurt and One appeal to me personally more than the originals.

I wouldn’t mind waking up to this song until my last day, as long as you wouldn’t play too early! :joy: another fine one from your hat, and I didn’t mind your voice and key changing, I think it was a lot better than great!

1 Like

The first time I listened to Cash actually was American Recordings! My high school English teacher who I really respected and am friends with to this day recommended it. I thought it was cool at the time but kinda over my head. I was and still am into “college rock”… think Nirvana, Pavement, Shellac, Slint, and a lot of really out there stuff. Looking at Cash’s discog I am surprised to see there are 6 volumes of the American Recordings. I will have to check them all out. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Well, this was excellent, and raises the bar substantially for Grade 1 - I think I need to go practice now.

1 Like

Well I thought that was brilliant playing and singing Dan.

You maybe need to remind your wife how lucky she is to be able to listen to such a tasty treat each morning. :smiley:

1 Like

I had never heard this song before Justin turned me onto it. It’s straightforward but a heavy hitter and really fun to play because you can pretty much just hammer away the whole song. It reminds me of a girl I dated too. Justinguitar made me acknowledge the Edwyn Collins in rock-n-roll!

-Dan

10 Likes

Well done, I remember this very well!
Easy pass!

1 Like

Another well played and sung song Dan. You’re on a roll today!
Grade 2 definitely awaits you!

1 Like

Great song, Dan, and you rocked through it.

I notice that you have your mic angled towards your mouth, that you appear to be perched on the edge of the stool, and are hunching over to sing into the mic. I suggest you have a go at playing standing up. Lift the mic up to be level with your mouth, perhaps angled slightly down to the guitar. That should enable your singing.

Then if you are interested in singing you may want to check this out Free your Voice Now - Chris Liepe Quite a number of us started with this free series of 3 lessons and went on to take some of his other classes.

Have fun with grade 2!

1 Like

:fire::fire::fire: You rocked that one Dan!!

Sounded awsome!! Actually sounded a lot cooler than the original, im impressed… well done!!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Great performance. Good singing and groove. Made me think I should learn this one!

1 Like

Hi Dan,…again :grin:
You passed :partying_face: … have fun in grade 2 :sunglasses:
Greetings, Rogier

1 Like

It’s unusual for me to watch four songs on this forum and be very familiar with all of them. That’s the case with your four Dan and you’ve done a great job with all of them. Great going.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I have noticed that I could use work on my basic posture and projecting my voice. For some reason I find working on my singing to be much more of a chore than working on my guitar playing. I will check out the Liepe stuff.

Wow… thank you so much. I used to play in a little rock outfit and we got a ton of mileage out of songs like these (although I had never heard this song in particular before I started playing it). It has always sounded like there is a lot of tension and build in this song. I think it is a bit of a natural fit for me.

This song is such a fire cracker, I have it on my list to learn it on electric as so many tasty licks in there! Your acoustic version is something completely different but love it as well! Great job with the vocal, I think vox like original could be only sang here on the forum by @ToshS :smile: all the best

1 Like

Just the basic melody line fully fuzzed out and sprinkled in there is really cool. Come to think of it I have a real oddball fuzz called the Blue Box that I might try as a 2nd track on this song.

Sounds like a good plan to me! :wink:

Great Job Dan, I remember this song well growing up in Glasgow, sad how it worked out for Edwyn. You played it so well i immediately grabbed my electric and started to play the solo over your version , years since I played it but you brought it back alive in my mind, thanks

1 Like

Another great cover Dan.

You did the song justice. That was some very tasty playing and I enjoyed the singing too.

1 Like