Hello from Buck - Old Dog, Old Tricks!

Hello everyone. I’ve just found this place after refurbishing my old guitar. I’ve a 1960’s fender I used in the late 70’s (in my youth) to play in a couple of bands. Life caught up and I stopped playing. I’m looking down the barrel of retirement now, and Ive got the time to get back into it. I worked with my son (who is an electrical engineer) to update the old friend with new switches and Fralin Pickups because I couldn’t solder two bricks together! It sounds great, and I cannot believe how my fingers refuse to move the way they did! Ha. Getting old is for the birds.

Hopefully over 2024 I can get back in shape. I look forward to hearing all of your stories, and helping where I can.

12 Likes

Hey Buck, welcome to the community. Playing guitar in retirement is a great way to pass the time. It takes a bit of stick-to-it-iveness at the start and soon you are on your way. Hang in there, the reward is very much worth it.

1 Like

Hi Buck! Welcome to the community! :wave: I bet your fingers will be picking it back up again in no time :sunglasses: Look forward to hearing more about your journey as the year progresses :+1:

1 Like

Hello Buck & Welcome!!!

It’s sorta like riding a bicycle… it’ll come back to you but probably not as fast as getting up on 2 wheels & pedalling down the road!!!
Good luck getting re-aquainted with your 6-string buddy!!!

Tod

Woof woof Buck ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

can old dogs learn new tricks? :smiley: :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Welcome Buck, wish you lots of fun with your playing!

Hello Buck
Nice to meet you. Welcome to the community :smiley: :sunflower:

Welcome aboard, Buck!

Glad you’re back on the guitar and joined us. You’re in very good company here. :smiley: Hopefully, you’ll get back into playing faster than expected given your background.

I wish you loads of fun and joy on your guitar journey.

Cheers - Lisa

Welcome to the forum Buck

Welcome to the forum Buck! You might want to buy a JG ‘Retirement Plan’ t-shirt :slight_smile:

Hi Buck, Welcome to the community.
I have a similar story to yours, though I’m probably about 10 years older. I played in a band in the late 60’s. I’ve been using JG for about 5 years. I’m a much better guitarist now than I was then, probably because I’m a much better student now than I was then. I’m more patient and, in retirement, I can put in more time to learning and practice. Things come back quickly. You can then build on your newly awakened skill and experience.
Enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

Hi Buck, welcome. Good you were able to update your old friend. Even with the background you have, a quick review of the lessons from the start (module 0) could help to find where you are at, refresh your skills, and take advantage of the rich content spread across all the lessons. Have fun.

1 Like

Hi Buck, welcome to the community forum. When I completed the JG Beginners course many years ago and stop playing for a few years, when I came back to Justin Guitar, I started with the first lessons and the Grade 1 practice routines again. I found that it helped me to get my fingers and hands back in shape, especially restarting at the age of 67. Have fun playing songs every day and soon your fingers will be calloused and back in shape.