Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Listen to some Robin Trower

1 Like

Reminds me Darrell, I must revisit this and see how I get on now ! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Guitar-amp-Leslie would be fun @nhh2oskr once saw someone do it on tv.
They still have the organ and speaker and is still used now and then. My sister plays keyboard for her own fun and they like to hear her playing the organ.

No Deep Purple @DavidP but he does have a deep, wide HUGE sense of humour. Its a family trait. Just as well, cos it’s compulsory for us northerners int it!

3 Likes

@Richard_close2u

Starting to feel a Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen moment coming on …

“Luxury! I dreamed of mediocre guitar-playing skills. I struggle with cowboy chords and simple 1/8 note strumming”

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Mediocre guitar-playing skills ? When I were a lad…

2 Likes

I’m 57 and have tried off and on since I was 15 but never stuck with it. What got me back into it was the passing of my father. I came into possession of three guitars that he owned, nothing special, an Epiphone AJ 100, an Esteban electric/acoustic and a Silvertone SS10 electric.

I started on the Epiphone and started scouring YouTube for lessons when I stumbled across Justin’s site and I’m glad I did. I was making great progress when the unthinkable happened. My robot vacuum attacked my dad’s guitar knocking it off it’s stand and snapped the headstock off. I was soooo upset at both the vacuum but more so with myself for not taking better care of my dad’s guitar.

I was able to repair it but now it stays in its case. After some extensive research I decided to purchase a Taylor Academy 10 and I love it. It hangs on the wall when not in use :grinning:

9 months in and I’ve made it through grade 1 and most of grade 2 (I’m up to power chords). I play along with Justin’s app but also paid for a subscription to Ultimate Guitar Tabs and play along with actual videos while reading the tab.

I have no goals other than to keep learning. I can’t sing worth a darn so I have no dreams of performing. I’m having so much fun and am enjoying the journey.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, my wife bought me a Ukulele for Christmas and I’ve been having fun with that as well. Justin has a few lessons for that also.

4 Likes

Jeez Louise. :astonished:

Sounds like there very special if you ask me :wink:

Dave

2 Likes

Very true for me as well.Ihad to go back to a lot of the Lessons as well,and that’s ok.Its like rereading a complicated chapter in school.Seems like that’s part of figuring out what I need to work on.Different for everyone

1 Like

Yes, in that regard they are very special. That’s why they are stored for safe keeping and I am purchasing my own guitars. But his memory lives on through my musical journey.

2 Likes

Here is something, how shall I put it, for the older mature guitar players in the UK.

Does anybody remember the BBC TV Programmes called Hold Down a Chord.

There were only two series of programmes I think. The first was Folk Guitar for Beginners first broadcast in April 1967. The second was Finger Picking Folk guitar styles first broadcast in January 1969.

There was a book to go along with each series, cost at the time 5 shillings, I managed to track mine down tucked away in a cupboard. There was an LP as well but I never got that. The person behind the series was John Pearse. Books are available on the Internet but at considerably more than 25p in new money.

Not a pick in sight, back then might have been called a plectrum.

Hope this bit of nostalgia is of interest to some of you.

1 Like

As @MAT1953 is reminiscing on things from many moons ago, some of you may like to take a small diversion here.
:slight_smile:

I think I bought John Pearse strings for my first acoustic, 25 years ago.

They were the best sounding strings on that Godin built cedar top 6 string - wish I still had it now that I’m playing again!

1 Like

Old woman here in Virginia, USA. Beginning again and determined to succeed this time around.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Kim. :grinning: :wave:

3 Likes

Really Richard? You’re sending people there?! Some may never come back!

(I quite enjoyed that diversion yesterday.)

1 Like

You are in the right place with Justin and this Community. Stay determined and you cannot fail!

2 Likes

Thank You, I have been attempting to learn since I was 15 and I’m now 56. I have started over many times but this time I’m not giving up!

4 Likes

The NITSUJ stuff (for me at least) is more about watching Justin struggle to play left-handed, which gives me comfort that my own struggles are totally normal. They’re also a good barometer of what Justin deems “good enough” to move onto the next module in your course. So I don’t use them as a learning tool as such, just a reference point to gauge my own progress against.

4 Likes

I vaguely remember the hold down a chord series but didn’t watch because I wasn’t interested in fingerstyle.
When I started playing (1957/8) the big thing was Bert Weedons "Play in a day " book…all these years later and I’m still learning how to play!!!:laughing::laughing:

1 Like