Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Brendan

Which piece of strong ? :rofl: It takes as long as it takes and comparing progress against others from a time perspective will never be a level playing field. Just make sure that you meet the criteria that Justin provides at the end of each module when he advises when to move on. As an example it took me 22 months to complete the old Beginner Course but I was wary of not taking shortcuts after 17 years of failure. Others whizzed through in a few months but were forever coming back and asking fundamental questions, as they had glossed over so much knowledge. So take it at your own pace but be honest with yourself but if unsure ask the Community for advice, as we’ve all been down the same road at one time or another.

Probably not the answer you were hoping for but its pretty much my stock reply for anyone who says “how long?”. Good luck with your journey.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

5 Likes

^^^ Good advice!

It’s such a hard thing to estimate, since the modules cover both technique and theoretical underpinnings. Practising technique to build skill is highly variable across people, and is affected by a number of factors (inlcuding any natural ability or transferrable skills one has already). Similarly, embedding theoretical content to build knowledge will be affected by a load of stuff too (some people will ‘just get it’ immediately for some things that leave other people scratching their heads for months).

In both cases, you are climbing the same pyramid: Four stages of competence - Wikipedia

(There’s a lot going on inside your brain when playing any instrument, especially one that requires separation of what your hands are doing!)

3 Likes

An aside…

From my sports coaching background:

“Technique” is “what to do”
“Skill” is “being able to do it”

[This can mean that a lot of people can explain technique, even when only a few actually have the skill.

Kind of a corollary to the old saw, “those that can, do, those that can’t do, teach”]

1 Like

Hi John,
Welcome to the community.
By “final”, I assume you mean that won’t need another time because you’ll be playing along with the rest of us ‘old dogs’ for as long as we are able. :smile: I’m a few years ahead of you (70) but still enjoy playing every day!

2 Likes

Hello John and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Superglue works OK, it’s just a right pain to get off when you want to :joy:

1 Like

Hello Older Beginner (65) Enjoying the guitar experience. Past the finger pain for the most part. Am on Beginner Grade 2 almost to the dreaded F chord Stiffness in my hand and fingers is my biggest challenge. But still enjoying going at my own pace.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community Danny. :slight_smile:

You may find that you don’t have any problems with the F chord, so people nail it without issue.

1 Like

Welcome to all new old dogs. Woof woof. :grinning:

1 Like
2 Likes

Hello to all the aspiring and inspiring “old” guitar players here. I’m 65, and my wife bought me a guitar last Christmas. She saw me having fun with my son Billy who had started playing guitar the year before. He got me trying, and it was hard but fun. I’ve always been a listener, and I’d always say I’d sell my soul if I could be a guitar player :wink:. Well now I am — not really but loving the difficult journey. I’m going at my own pace — slow, but trying to really understand what my right and left hands should be doing simultaneously! It ain’t easy with my non nimble fingers, but I play every day. And love it! I haven’t had the guts to record myself and post it yet, but I’m going to. We just moved from the Chicago area to a new community in Georgia named Serenbe. It’s so peaceful here that it’s the perfect place to become a musician. Cheers!

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community Jim.

Slow and steady is the name of the game and nothing to do with age. Take your time and build a strong foundation and in time you will able to play whatever you want. My old mantra is you’re never too old to rock and roll, so just go for it. And shout if ever you have any questions.

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

Thanks Toby! I love your journey, and it sounds like we were born the same year – 56. Never too old to rock and roll for sure. Your recordings (and guitar collection) are spot on, especially white rabbit – one of my all time favorites. I love Jorma – electric and acoustic. You’ve inspired me because I’d love to play as well as you in a few years. One step at a time for sure. Love the easy rider pic too :sunglasses:

Cheers
Jim

1 Like

Hello Jim and welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy your journey and I look forward to you one day sharing your work.

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. Look forward to the journey and spending more time in our community.

1 Like

Just be careful of rabbit hole Jim ! There many adventure to be had but best to stay close to the path. Yep on the DOB March 56. Blimey, I am a little overwhelmed to have inspired someone, wow !! Just don’t make the same screw up I did in all those years, before I stumbled on Justin.

Just enjoy the ride !!

1 Like

I think I found my pack!

I turned 53 about a week ago and decided to treat myself to my first electric guitar, a Fender Player Plus Strat (in “aged candy apple red”). I’ve had a low-end acoustic for 30 years that I learned to play just enough chords to play along to camp songs one summer, but I never got serious about learning.

I’m up to G1M5 of the Justin lessons. Some old chords came back surprisingly easy, but changes and getting them to ring out clean is a challenge. Plus, I never tried picking before, so all that is a challenge. I’m finally starting to get callouses so practicing is less painful. Nobody would mistake me for anything but a beginner, but I feel like I’m making progress. I don’t have any performing aspirations so all I really want to do is get good enough to have fun and entertain myself. That, and to feel worthy of the guitar I splurged for.

7 Likes

At least you’re older than me :joy: I was born in October. Guitar is definitely a rabbit hole; I jumped down the sourdough bread rabbit hole for 6 years until I found the guitar. I’m trying hard to stay close to the path by developing a good foundation. My son actually tells me that I’m going too slow, but it feels right. He started guitar at 24-25, so his challenges are far different than mine. He did get me started so I’m happy about that.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community Mark. :slight_smile:

That is a nice looking guitar. Enjoy your journey.

2 Likes

Hello Jim and welcome! I’m convinced that going as slow as to be able to enjoy everyday the time we spend with our guitar is the key thing. It’s not a matter of age when one’s mind set is positive. My 3P rule: Passion Practice Patience…see you around in the Community!

2 Likes