One Minute Changes Exercise

How are your callouses? Once they build up, they help with this because your fingertip won’t mush down over the sting so much.

1 Like

No callouses yet, too new. But they are a little tougher. I still am struggling with the A chord. I have a hard time not wanting to go back to the old configuration. But, I just finished module 2 and did a couple of songs. I really liked the theme song one, where you just play the lower E chord with all four fingers. I’d like to learn more like that too. I used to play Rocky Raccoon that way. but I can’t remember it.

1 Like

The calluses will come and that will help. I feel like I can’t quit now, because losing the clouded would be a bummer if I wanted to start again!

I think in the ear training course Justin talks about finding simple tunes by ear, like happy birthday and twinkle twinkle. He mentions even trying to find them on one string, I think. I am terrible at that type of ear practice, but it is a good exercise. Maybe you can find and figure out Rocky raccoon again. It would be pretty cool!

1 Like

Just had a lightbulb moment after rewatching Justin’s video about playing three little birds. I found changing from A-D kind of awkward, but after rewatching realized I don’t have to move my anchor finger in this case! I was sliding my anchor finger forward when forming the D, making it harder than it needed to be and fluffing the change all the time. Now it’s so much easier with only two fingers moving. If I hadn’t gone back and rewatched I wouldn’t have realized I missed this point the first time round.

5 Likes

I have always found the OMC’s to be at odds with what Justin tells us about ‘Practice makes permanent, so practice perfectly’. Why practice OMC’s sloppy?

Have a look over here. More in this subject.
I think I just made one minute chord changes a bit easier

2 Likes

You make a fair point, Stuart. I think what most of us find is that as we practice using various different techniques like OMC, chord perfect, anchor finger practice, etc., there is a gradual convergence of speed and quality. It happens naturally and gradually. For most beginners it is important to reach a point where you are able to start playing songs. If you can’t change chords quickly enough to play simple songs then you are more likely to get frustrated and give it up. So, OMC emphasizes training your fingers to hit the chord shapes quickly, even if not quite perfectly. Personally, I find that my accuracy improves at about the same rate as my speed improves. If I feel like I am really making a hash of things then I will stop and slow down and try to see where I am going wrong. If I am consistently muting one of the strings or hitting the wrong string or fret then I will work on that change very slowly until I am able to correct the mistake and then speed up again.

I do agree with you that the wisdom of “practice makes permanent” does feel a bit contradictory to saying it’s ok to be a little bit forgiving of imperfections with OMC if you allow yourself to be too sloppy on OMC.

2 Likes

I wish i could get to 60 chord changes in a minute day three of that exercise im at 37

When I was taught the same grip Justin uses all those years ago it opened up a whole new world for me being able to change chords.

However there is nothing wrong with the 3 in a row grip, many players use it, so if the suggested 213 grip doesn’t work for you, don’t worry about it. There is no right or wrong way, only what works for you. All Justin asks is to give it a try. It is merely a suggestion and not a block to the rest of your journey.

1 Like

Dave, thanks for that encouragement. This morning I pulled out my old song book and tried playing some of my old favorites with the new idea of NOT STOPPING. I found that I went back and forth on the A grip. I’m sure I’ll find my way. I’m enjoying playing so much more now though, I have to say.

2 Likes

That’s why I try to do PFC’s and not OMC’s as they never really made sense.

1 Like

Oh I am so excited for this! Past few days I’ve been going over the A and D chords-already have that sting on my fingertips but I’m ready for this challenge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great to hear and your reply reminded me that all chord grips are interchangeable and we should feel free to use whatever feels natural at the time.

You only have to watch Justin in many of his song tutorials where he will use different fingers in the same song. So even if you have a go to fingering for a chord, nothing is set in stone,

1 Like

Yes I found that too.
I believe 1 minute changes in the original form are still good to practice though especially with new chords because they get your fingers begin to learn where they are meant to go. I think in this case it does speed up the learning process. As beginners we should be allowed a bit of leeway until we get better and clean things up and concentrate on PFCs.

2 Likes

Despite OMC being contre to “practice make permanent” you need to do both.

PFC to ensure your fingering is accurate and everything is ringing out clean. Slow & deliberate.
OMC to build the speed, even if some are sloppy.

Do them together and it will make world of difference when you come to play songs. And you can applying to any new chord shapes you comes across in the future.

However, if you are hitting 60 changes a minute and 30 of those chords stink, back off until the majority are good (not necessarily perfect - that will come). :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I completely don’t understand the integration between setting up the practice sessions, practicing, and when I can move onto the next lesson. I am honestly very confused. I also don’t understand how to navigate from this lesson to the practice page. Wouldn’t it be easier just to put a link on this lesson page straight to the practice session for that page? Sorry if I sound disgruntled, I am not. I just want to figure out how to use this site and move ahead. Thanks.

1 Like

42! Being able to leave a comment was tedious!

Well I wound up with 20 clean changes first time trying. Yay me. As an side, how can one do 60 in seconds if we’re including strumming?

1 Like

Hi Allen and welcome.

Well from a maths perspective you just strum at 60 beats per minute and change chords between the strums, That’s it, sounds simple but you need to work up to that level,

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Toby thanks for the reply. Can’t believe my newbie brain didn’t put two and two together and realize to simply strum at 60 bpm. Thanks for the tip. I’ll add it to my routine. Cheers!

1 Like