Open Mic 06: Recording + After-Show Party & Chat

It wouldn’t be the same without your performance Brian. The new guitar looked and sounded good.

5 Likes

Thanks Adi but I have no clue as to how it sounded. Guitar was into the Mustang and I used the two effects I had set up before but the vox was raw and no FX what so ever. Plus the audio feedback was so off it was putting me out of step, hence the big screw ups at the start of Outside. When I post the dry run you will see the gulf. This was a skin of the pants performance and I really need to understand what is going wrong, as even the audio feed from Zoom sounded carp at my end. For me a frustrating night but overall I am so glad everyone else had a fantastic time. Maybe Xenyx time again for OM VII !
:slightly_frowning_face:
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for pulling this together. First ‘live’ performance was nervy but it the end all went ok.

To the audience members thinking of taking the plunge, have at it next for OM VII, and to future-self practice what you preach and belt out some vocals next time.

9 Likes

It’s just great to have a night like tonight was, great performances and plenty of banter and fun! The time just flew, when it was time up I couldn’t believe that it was over already :roll_eyes:
Looking forward to the next one already :grin:

6 Likes

Kin ell Watford beat Villa, all was not lost !!

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who coordinated, performed, and watched, some really great songs today, I enjoyed every one of them. It was a great afternoon of music.

3 Likes

Well done everyone, performers and organisers. Thanks so much for an entertaining couple of hours!

3 Likes

Dry run videos being edited and uploaded to YouTube and will be published in the morning.
Much to think about.
:thinking:

3 Likes

What an amazing show…so much talent and all unique. I’m so happy I was part of the audience. It might just propel me to make my debut in the future.

2 Likes

It was really better than you think Toby. Plus, we all know how well you perform from your previous open mics and videos.

1 Like

I be dreaming about crazy hair tonight … I think.

1 Like

You did well… I kinda envied you up there as a newbie.

Glad to hear it went well, sorry I missed it. Hope to see if on you tube???

@TheMadman_tobyjenner

Toby, I look forward to hearing the Home Studio recording.

I am guessing now, you can correct me if I am off the mark, but I suspect we both suffer a little through network performance/connectivity challenges. After watching the event recording, I was a little frustrated by the overall quality of my segment, I can hear some of the glitchiness in it. In my case, I have a feeling that the connectivity between my ISP in Johannesburg and the Zoom server I connect to is a constraint. Maybe you experience the same from your home base in Normandy?

As for the tech challenges in the room. I feel your pain after spending a good many hours throughout the afternoon, after what was working 100% in a first trial went to 0% for no apparent reason. I got lucky and lurched my way back to 100% but I was getting hot ‘n’ sweaty, grumpy ‘n’ frustrated through the entire process. And given I’ve no idea what broke it, it could just as easily have broken in the soundcheck.

@SandyMusic

Your time and turn WILL come, Sandy. I am sure of it.

Once again, many many thanks to Toby for organising the event, Jason for MCing, Adrian for event and video production, all the performers for wonderful performances that showcase what our Community is all about, and biggest of all to the people who joined in the event spending two hours watching the performance, cheering everybody on, your presence makes the event all the more special.

Till next time, keep learning, practicing, and playing.

I know the ONE song I am going to play (no U2 fans that is not a clue, though one day I will play One the Johnny Cash way). I am saying ONE in caps because I am putting it out there that next time the performer roster will be such that veterans like myself who have played all 6 events will scale back to 5 minutes of chat ‘n’ play to allow debutants and folks returning for a second time to take more of the spotlight. Heck I’d even whoop and holler to drop off the roster altogether and take my place in the audience, to allow more people to perform.

2 Likes

Thanks for that David, I posted the dry runs in AOVYP late last night.

I don’t think it is an network issue, as the last 5 OMs have been fine and I’ve not experienced this level of degradation ever. The only thing I changed between events, was to use ReaRoute and as the dry runs show the new AI, Reaper and OBS were all working fine. The videos I had record via Zoom had slight crackling, so I suspect a settings mismatch somewhere. Sample rates in Reaper and OBS were in line, as was the settings in Audio Device manager all were 44.1k.

All I have found so far this morning is that Zoom supports 32k to 48k but I do not think there is a parameter to adjust it. So post dog walk I’ll start tearing things apart !

The odd thing was the Zoom audio coming into me was terrible, again not experienced in the previous OM. General internet performance was stable, while I searched for possible causes. Guess I was lucky enough to remember the core settings, to quickly re-connect the AI to Zoom but it took the first 3 songs to get something half decent level wise with what I could hear. And yes the eventual outcome was much better than I thought, as I was just getting sporadic feedback of my sound into my headphone and nearly impossible to keep track, worse than bad delay ! Much to resolve before OM VII !!

@SandyMusic Sandy thank you for those kind words ! At least I got to enjoy the show after Adi shared the raw recording last night. Hope this encourages you to have a go next time ?

1 Like

Toby, are you referring to other performers audio?

If network plays no part then I guess in a sense that is good since it means the root of the evil lies in your setup which means you can solve it.

If at any point you want to test things out in Zoom give me a shout, we can make a plan for some trials any evening that suits you between 8h00-09h30 UTC+2. Hopefully that’s not too early in the Jenner household, given that you seem to be up later than I am. Over the weekend would be happy to be later.

You’ll crack it!

Yes it was the inbound Zoom audio as well.

I struggled to stay with it while Jason was playing (no offense @Rossco01) , so decided to drop out and try and tweak the DI levels while you and Rob played. What I did find, getting on to the end of the show, audio improved considerable when I switch to the default/system speakers and not the AI (headphones or IEM and yes I did say IEDs last night, that’s what they felt like!). I checked the properties this morning and see the system speaker was set to 48k. After I had changed the sample rate in Reaper and OBS I changed the AI properties as well, so the AI channels/input were also at 44.1k. So I have now reset everything to 48k and will do some tests later once I reload the Reaper Audio tracks I had recorded during the dry runs.

Thanks for the offer on a Zoom test, might take you up on that but weekend would be better, as my missus is still recovering from the problems following her booster. Morning not a good time. But if I get somewhere I can have another Madman Zoom meeting using my second profile and laptop, which you may recall from last year.

Internet was certainly ok, as I was reviewing the Never Lost Pentatonic just before I went into the green room and that was fine.

Don’t you just love technology ! If I don’t resolve it, I may open a separate topic and ask the question regards possible causes, as I am sure @Majik Keith would have a view !

1 Like

I’m so glad you all had a good night. I missed seeing and hearing you all. :slight_smile: I will watch the recording for sure …

1 Like

Many thanks to @TheMadman_tobyjenner @Rossco01 and @adi_mrok for enabling the event to take place.

It was a great night and nice to see so many people there.

@brianlarsen What were you eating for your tea and how did you find spending the evening as Geraldine?

3 Likes

Great to read children and ladies that you had such a good time, :smiley: :sunglasses: looking forward to watching the video…

1 Like