Open Mic 08: Recording + After-Show Chat

What a a great night it was with fantastic performances. I’m sorry I couldn’t stay for the after party chat.

Thank you @adi_mrok and @DavidP for organising it and running it. It is really appreciated.

Anyone who hasn’t done it, I would say give it a whirl. Everyone is very supportive, regardless of your level. We all know what it takes to get to where you’ve got, so don’t be afraid. Like Nike said, “Just do it!”

8 Likes

Thanks Trond, went a lot better than I expected given my practice time.

You, my friend, were awesome. It’s very easy to get transported to another place listening to you!

2 Likes

I would definitely second that sentiment Shane. Even the technical issues will be
a valuable lesson for next time.

Absolutely, I too was a lot less nervous for my second run. So for any other introverts out there, just get signed up you will learn so much. And there can be no better arena to dip your toe in.

Again, I would call for anyone to have a go regardless of what level you are at. I was so hard on myself last night because of the exceptional level of all the other performers, but have since thought on and realised that this is the perfect place to push your limits and just have a go. From the outside it may look like it’s only the members of the forum who can perform and sing take part but it’s not about that at all, it’s just about making a statement on where you are at, where you would like to go and most of all having fun and getting some small reward for all the hours of practice we put in, even if that’s at beginner level 1.

Thanks to all the organisers especially @adi_mrok who has probably been up all night editing videos, not to mention the work and preparation leading up to the event. @DavidP Don’t understate your role, without the likes of you stepping up, this kind of event just wouldn’t get going.

6 Likes

Thank you David. Wise words as usual - forever grateful for your ongoing support and encouragement.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Well spoken Dave!!

3 Likes

:pray: thanks Kev. Dont quite know what to respond to your comment. Means a lot!!

2 Likes

@liaty @SgtColon

As I said above to Trond, I appreciate it, serving the Community means as much to me as the learning to play, but truly the plaudits for this event belong to all and most especially for Adrian for the hard work to put the roster of performers and audience together during the run-up.

4 Likes

Any chance you could post a link to this as can’t see one in the posts?

@Stuartw

Stuart, I will do so as soon as Adrian has finished the video editing and preparation plus received the OK from each performer to have their part published on YT (some folk would rather not for whatever personal reason, which is OK and respected)

Well ok now I’ve got the ball rolling for OM 009, I can sit back and reflect on last night’s show.

Wow !! What a superb gig that was !! It was smoking !! :fire:

So many great performances to be able to pick individuals out but from the newbies making their OM debuts, to the old hands who’ve done this a few times, boy you all did great. It was an experience that had everything and more.

From the pre-show soundchecks in the Green Room, we had the drama of Stefan, first on the roster having zero sound on the guitar with minutes to go. But he fixed and launched us into a night of wonderment. I can’t wait for the finished video to be published but man it was great to be part and great to see yet more new faces.

And well, as David said, a first that a few of hung on after the show and had a true Green Room chat which was thoroughly enjoyable and wonderful to meet new faces and chat with old friends. Entertaining and enlightening, sharing experiences of the gig itself but our own learning processes and journeys. All the fresher while the adrenaline was still flowing and the buzz of the event still tangible. I am not sure why that has not happened before but I think the spontaneity of it, also added to the atmosphere and as @tRONd Trond said, it was just like hanging with some old friends. Its something I hope we repeat going forward.

Well done to everyone who took part, performers and audience alike. Big thanks to @adi_mrok for doing the organising this time and also to @DavidP for his sterling command of the night as our reliable MC.

These events truly epitomise the spirit of this community, which I am proud to be a member. Thank you all for your time, commitment and support !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thoroughly enjoyable evening with great performances all round. Well done all :grin:

3 Likes

Hey, where’s the video?
Get the finger out @adi_mrok :rofl:
(Maybe we should just assume that, unless they’ve said so beforehand, everyone is ok with it being uploaded and, if for some reason on the night they decide they don’t want to, they can just let Ade know after the performance?)

1 Like

Be patient Grasshopper :cricket:

2 Likes

Unfortunately some gremlins must have messed up my final file while I was asleep as somehow subtitles at the start overlapped David and well… it looks bad! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: back to rendering a video for next 3 hours probably and then uploading to YouTube probably for another hour - expect it around the evening folks and apologies!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the history of the OM events and related discussion, it’s a real shame I had to run off.

Is there a possibility that at least some of the history could be recorded? I think it might reassure newcomers a bit more about what the event is (and isn’t).

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea, Iain. I’ll have a look at the Category and consider what we might be able to do.

3 Likes

David

I’ll have a look on the old forum, as I am sure when Jason @Rossco01 floated the idea we covered the conceptual modal born out of lockdown. It could be just a lift and shift or maybe a little tidy up. If its kept short it could be added to the Call For Interest post and looped round each time we start a new round.

I’ll let you know what I find.

Cheers

Toby

3 Likes

Thanks Toby

Alternatively may be an opportunity for me to write (another) lengthy Topic to pin in the Category :rofl:

3 Likes

David

I have just read through @Rossco01 Jason original Virtual Open Mics post on the old Form and the Open Mic 000 First Thoughts. All the key historic information, as in the when and why but no definitive paragraph that sums that all up. I don’t think it would need to be long, just state why it was started, the fact its the next step up from AOVYP recordings and one-take-whenevers and its open to all. As the instigator I’d be interested in Jason’s 2 cents on cover note, for want of as better description.

Lets see what falls out the tree,

Toby

3 Likes

Sounds like an awesome time and show. Sorry I missed it. We had power outages due to spring snow!

3 Likes