Open Mic 06: Recording + After-Show Party & Chat

@Richard_close2u Thanks Richard. I have to admit that i sort of tuned out trying to get myself prepared, so i was not worried about following Crazy Hair. It was a bit tricky to estimate when my turn would come.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really struggling to remember the third, but Neil Young was definitely one of the three. Maybe the other was Neil Finn? I think it was in his live transcribing video for Everything Reminds Me Of Her, which is a long video to rewatch just for that snippet of information :slight_smile: I donā€™t think he mentioned Tom Waits in that video, but if heā€™s anything like me then these ā€˜top 3 Xā€™ lists change every time he mentions it based on who you remember at the time.

1 Like

Thank you. Technique wise itā€™s so hard for me to focus on all things at once. My brain just goes blank once I start so no clue if I did alternate picking like I wanted on the riff throughout, tried to strum Hendrix style with scraps rather than palm muting, and I know I messed up parts of the solo by over bending here and there. Vibrato on bending is hard for me still. I am proud of myself for nailing how Page does the walk down on the E minor in open position. Iā€™m really a vocalist first and even there I canā€™t really focus on what I want to do because my conscious is split. My vocals would have been crazier if someone else was playing, but itā€™s a skill I want to develop.

Next song Iā€™m going to work on is Thrill is Gone to practice vibrato bends and gives me some improv and breathing room to sing. Also, been transcribing Worry, Worry, Worry from Cook County Jail album. Also, by B.B. All the tabs online are from Live at The Regal, but I like the earlier version better. First go at really transcribing

1 Like

Hey guys!!! Nice job everyone!! Sorry that i have not made it to an open mic yet, I know you guys have been wanting me to! Maybe one day! :D. David i loved that love will only break your heart, you have inspired me to learn that song because that song rings true for me lool. Who was the older lady playing where the camera froze? I was enjoying her play and then it froze!! :frowning: Nice job on crazy hair brian! Loved your hair Lol. Shout out to toby, and shout out to everyone else that is new!!! I thought you guys did great! Kudos!

2 Likes

Well my partnerā€™s getting a good laugh this morning, Byron lol. And not to make myself any older than I am, the year in my screen name is dob not my age (although time flies as you get older so soon enough they will collide!).

Thanks for the comment on my playing, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it. That might be a good song for you to learn, well within your abilities Iā€™d say.

Mari :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha im sorry Mari! I wish you would have done Let it be!!! I love that song :smiley: But i enjoyed the one you were doing. You play very well :slight_smile: So you must be 58 years young!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol thanks Byron. Let it Be is one of my favorite tunes, if I can figure out how to get a good sound micā€™ing my harmonica maybe itā€™ll be another day. As for age, Iā€™d be happy to be 3 years older because thatā€™s when I hope to retire!!!

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s me watched the complete re-run. A big round of applause to everyone involved. You were all amazing.

1 Like

Yeah for real lol! haha. Im just getting started in working. Im on my 2nd year of being a custodian. I enjoy it though thankfully. Ive got a LONG way to go :frowning: Then again i may not be able to retire because SS may not be there when i reach that age sadly.

1 Like

Thanks Bytron, glad you enjoyed it.

Justin has a lesson on the song, though it is not especially complicated. Given your ability and how quickly you learn songs youā€™ll get it down and be able to record it without too much hassle.

It took me quite a while (months) to get the hang of that two finger G. Still not smooth like the other basic open chords.

Sweet thanks David! I will have to check it out!

OMG I have missed so much!!! Iā€™m so sorry to everyone who wrote such awesome nice things about our performance. And we promise the audio issue will be resolved next time. Iā€™ve had few heroes reaching out to me about that!:smiley:

I keep forgetting and I donā€™t know if itā€™s too late, but our songs were:

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water
Unknown - The Raven (original)

Seriously everyone did amazing. Iā€™m so excited for the next one!

3 Likes

I finally got to watch a bit of the event and oh boy is it good!
Watched till the Elliott Smith cover (I believe the user was named Mike) and enjoyed every performance.
Very different types of songs and vibes already, looking forward for the rest.

4 Likes

I love Let it be also, Mariā€¦ please play it at another open mic

3 Likes

Just caught up with the OM, a great way to spend a coupe of hours, enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks to Jason, Adrian and Toby for organizing. Nice to see the first timers to.

4 Likes