Open Mic Tech Talk (Advanced) Connecting DAW to OBS to send audio / video to Zoom Using Reaper ReaStream

David - I guess that why we have still got this guide, which I think most new to OMs would look at first before coming here.

How To Set Up Zoom

This thread is certainly taking on the direction of using OBS only (direct input and plugins) as an Audio/Video feed to Zoom which is at odds with the original subject matter. ie DAW to OBS first. I think a split is called for but seek guidance from @Richard_close2u or @LievenDV

Agree Toby, though I am always a little wary about the order in which people may read Topics.

Agreed

What would be cool (I think) would be some kind of pinned, editable only by a Mod or TL4 member, Topic that provided a high-level overview of the Community OM and links to each of the other Topics that provided details with the opportunity to answer questions.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to get back to you on that. I can tell you how to do it in Linux, but I assume you are using Windows. If I get a chance, I will blow the cobwebs off my Windows installation and have a look at how the audio works with OBS there.

If we are going to split this, do we start a new thread now, or wait for this one to be split?

Cheers,

Keith

No rush on my account, Keith, this was more with Richard in mind. At this stage I am happy using Reaper. And all I might add if I go direct to OBS would be a limiter.

I’d say neither here nor there. If it is split then it’ll be easy enough to migrate anything you add while we wait for a response from @Richard_close2u or @LievenDV on that one.

I needed an offline copy of Toby’s AV to DAW to OBS and Zoom Guide. This is the entire thread from the old Forum site. In case anyone needs it I am posting it here:
Toby’s guide - AV to Zoom - PDF

NOTE: The YouTube video reference is not included in the PDF above. You will have to link to that. Of course if you are offline, it will not be available either.

Thanks,
LB

2 Likes

LBRo

Guess folks can also cut and paste from here, its less muddy and without the chatter. Plus I tidied up some of there errors in the original.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Hi Toby,
Yeah, - I saw a couple of typos in the old Forum guide. I thought of grabbing the content from here. But I wanted the whole semi consolidated thread without a bunch of editing. There is getting to be a lot of good discussion going on about how to best achieve this routing to Zoom. In a sense though, adding it into a PDF would make it messy as well.

All the best!
Lb

Hi,
A while back I was playing with basically the same setup as Toby has outlined. I also obtained the VB Audio Virtual Cable middleware/driver product via a YT video how to. Then, with the robust amount of routing channels available to me via my AI, I realized I did not need the VB Audio Virtual Cable “tool”. I found I could just simply do the routing via unused channels on/in the AI.

@TheMadman - You have a very capable AI from what little I know. Have you considered trying to eliminate the VB Audio Virtual Cable software driver and just use your channel routing in your AI?

Of course, for those folks with 1-2 channel AI’s, they are going to have to follow the guide and use the VB Audio Virtual Cable because of channel limitations.

Ta,
LB

Thank goodness. I was off to look for a rope and some sharp knives! :joy:

I’ll be happy if I can get zoom to work without freezing up on my phone as an audience member at the next OM.

2 Likes

@DavidP - I am not at my big DAW and AI at the moment. But I think the answer to your question has already been mentioned by @Majik. I can’t test this due to being “on the road”.

In OBS you would simply hit the plus at the bottom of the Source section. I think at that point you should be able to see or possibly drill down and see your 2 channels. If so, you would add each as a separate source. Once in OBS I would think thing you could apply Fx as needed to each channel source.

I will be home later today and check into this a bit further. Hopefully Keith will beat me to it! :sweat_smile:

All the best,
LB

Wow Sair - To me, depending on your phone. You are asking a lot of it. I don’t know what phone you have, but realize. Most of the talk here is about doing this on a full blown computer… To me the phone aspect probably deserves its own thread… I would think, keeping it as simple as possible would be your best bet.

Rock on!
LB

@LBro

Lbro I am leaving well alone now its up and running without any problems or latency. I am also currently using the dual virtual cable set up, so I can route Zoom audio and video back to OBS, which I could then use to capture my own OM set for example, without having the edit the full “show”. And it would be available immediately. I was going to compile a guide on that set up for folks here but there are plenty of tutorials out on YouTube and @Majik referred to one that uses the dual virtual set up, linked in his Topic here vvv.

I did get some initial latency on the new AI but changed the settings in Reaper and got it down to about 7ms combined.

So as I say, for now I am not touching anything, just in case :sunglasses:

Yes, I did a separate post on it here (as Toby has already linked).

In a nutshell, you need to use ASIO and an ASIO plugin for OBS.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I can understand the concept of; “If it not broke, don’t fix it”. Though I think the routing method via the AI vs the use of the virtual cable is better as it cuts down on the drivers/software you run the signal through. - Great that it is working so well for you as you now have it! :smiley:

I think I know what you might have done in Reaper to cut your related latency down. You might share that as I would welcome another viewpoint on it and it may be informative. Additionally we have lots of Reaper users on here and they could possibly apply the knowledge to this setup or other related ones.

Keep rock’n and thanks!
LB

Just change the Reaper Latency Offset, if that is what you mean ? It would need a separate Topic I think not just added here, I’ll need to review the categories for a suitable home !

Hear what you are saying but I need to get from OBS to Zoom and back again. Without the cables I can’t. If it was just for video recording in OBS for sure, there are plenty of spare channels. But that is not the primary reason for the set up, that is the Zoom connectivity.

The PC is reasonably spec’d as well as its gaming biased and plenty of headroom, unlike the one that drowned. Reaper was forever crashing on the old one as it had no grunt. ! :sunglasses:

Routing it with JACK?

Yep!

It has been months or longer since I was messing with feeding Zoom with Reaper and OBS. Even longer since I looked at the Reaper Latency Offset. - I assume the L. Offset you are referring to is under preferences/recording? I don’t know if it is worth a topic of its own. Maybe play it by ear and if others are struggling with too much latency, go for it.

Understood. I was not trying to bring the Zoom session back into OBS. I will have to check into that with my AI. It could be you have to have the Virtual Cable on your setup with the Beringer AI. I have never seen the mixer software for it. On my RME AI I get a software mixer called TotalMix. They say you can route anything to any channel. I have to agree. It also has loopback functionality and I think in that, it very well could do what the Virtual Cable(s) are doing, if need be. Below is a quick screen grab of the TM mixer. Note the red circle that shows the LoopBack button enabled. This is on my 2 channel RME Babyface. I once tried a cheaper interface, but I missed TM so much I returned it and shelled out the big bucks for this AI. I have never regretted it. Kind of like your PC that died. Good riddance and glad to hear you got a new rig that is more capable!
:grin:

Ta and take good care,
LB

Jacks are wild?
:smiley:

LB

No software for the UMC1820 bar drivers, it just plugs in via USB and just seen as another audio device in Reaper. Reaper talks to OBS via a plug in called ReaStream. The virtual cables are just between OBS and Zoom. And yes the latency off set is in the Preferences. :sunglasses:

Yep, or Pipewire on newer distros.

Cheers,

Keith