Open Mic Tech Talk - How to Setup Zoom

It didn’t have Theresa May running through it, did it?

:open_mouth:

Keith

4 Likes

Jus’ checkin’ :wink:

Ah that’s where I went wrong Wheat not Corn !

Does anyone know if you can run the same Zoom meeting with the same user link on two devices?

You should be able to

Thanks Adi,

I’m just thinking if I do perform a song then I would want to use my phone for the performance but then my laptop for the rest of the evening.

When I did it I used two separate accounts but it shouldn’t really matter if it’s the same account twice or not. Remember about muting the laptop while playing in front of the phone and you need to tweak settings a bit on your phone to allow for original sound so no noise cancellation occurs.

Man this community is so helpful. I’m really looking forward to digging into the advanced portion of how to use obs with my daw eventually since I’ve needed to learn how to do that forever. Thank you for this

1 Like

Jak

I’d suggest using this approach for your first Open Mic and experiment with DAW/OBS afterwards. Best to get some stable settings and ensure you have audio + video for the event. Good thing about Zoom is the ability to set a meeting up on your own, so you can check things out before hand. Any issues shout up.

That goes for anyone else joining the OM for the first time. :smiley:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sorry for the newbie question, but here goes: do you have to have a paid Zoom membership to use advanced settings like “enable original sound”? I only have the basic (i.e. free) membership and can’t seem to find that setting control. BTW, using Zoom through the iOS app.
Thanks!

No, Mick, I am signed up with a free account and have access to that setting on my audio settings. I access that typically on the app on my Windows PC/LT. You can also login on the Zoom website and adjust settings there. Perhaps try the website route if you are not seeing that option under Audio Settings on the app.

Hi Mick, it’s possible different platforms/devices have different original sound control locations.
I use my PC windows/chrome and when I enter the zoom room at the very top left hand side of my screen there’s a little dialogue box, saying original sound off/on
Worth a look :grinning:

No paid membership required, I believe I am the only licence holder here and when i enable others ti use Original sound it should show up for you and others. All the best.

1 Like

I can’t find it either :frowning:

Using the Linux client.

Not sure how it works on linux but you don’t need premium. You click little arrow near your microphone icon while on meeting, go to Audio settings at the bottom, under Music and Professional Audio you hit Show in meeting option to enable Original Sound.

That’s not shown in my UI :frowning:

what happens when you go over to advanced settings?

just checked this Iain:

Hi @appalloosa-cob, it looks like from the 5.5.0 release, you are able to share mono or stereo sound. When sharing content and wanting to share computer sound as well, users can select between mono or stereo audio. Only the user sharing their audio will need to be utilizing this client version or higher.

However, within the Client settings under ‘Audio’, it doesn’t sound like you have the settings for ‘Music and Professional Audio’ on Linux.

Unfortunately, original sound and stereo aren’t currently supported on our Linux client at the moment. Feel free to mention your request for this feature as it definitely helps for us to see this within the near future. You can send your feedback to: Feedback - Zoom

2 Likes

Addendum …

also added to post 1 above

Background & Effects

Please ensure Background is set to None for optimum clarity when performing.
On no account should you use the Blur virtual background.

2 Likes