Open Mic Testimonial for Richard (Close2u)

It was wonderful to sit down and watch a game when it didn’t matter what the result was going to be. Win-win for me either way. Fantastic game allez le bleu

1 Like

Good job I don’t predict foreigners’ games then, eh?
Mind you, I’m not sure how this Republican feels about winning the Triple Crown. We don’t have monarch like the rest of ye :roll_eyes: :laughing:
I’m happy for France.
Looking across the river Dee, Snowdon doesn’t seem as tall today :wink:

But bringing this thread back on track to OM-stuff…
Chris & Eithne are coming over for lunch in half an hour. I haven’t told them I’m hoping to slip in 15 minutes of ‘band practice’ for the weekend after next. That should be enough, no?

Maybe something along the lines of this :rofl:

6 Likes

Yes your performance was great, it was your internet connection that was the downfall.

2 Likes

Brian Larsen the things you dig out from the nooks and crannies of your mind never cease to amaze me.

Is it time for me to go down the rabbit hole of anything more than plugging in my condenser mic and sitting in front of it with my guitar??

I will have a special guest with me at this Open Mic, Krista volunteered to sing. (Yay!) The simple set up we are using has my acoustic guitar and her mic plugged into her Acoustic Singer amp so she can use the harmonizer pedal. We then have the sound being captured into Zoom by the condenser mic, picking up the amp sound (as well as I suppose the guitar and vocals just in the room). The problem is that although the harmony sounds fine when we’re playing there’s some distortion on the harmony on the playback. Does this mean I have to figure out what you guys are talking about with all the fancy ways you seem to plug in to play on Zoom? There’s an AntiFeedback Notch knob on her amp, and that’s turned to about 3/4, not sure if that might be having an impact. Any thoughts on that?

Any input would be much appreciated. If it does have me going down the rabbit hole I will diligently try to figure out what you’re talking about if that will eliminate the distortion. Time is limited though as I may not get much playing in after Friday, so it will work out fine if we just opt for no harmony too.

Thanks.

Mari

1 Like

PC
The thread here Open Mic Tech Talk - How to Setup Zoom

Shows how to set sound on windows app

iPhone
On iPhone there are 2 steps:

1: before starting a meeting, open app and in settings select meeting settings then enable original audio:

2: when in meeting, Select the more option at the bottom of screen (three dots) and select enable original sound:

Linux App
On my Laptop (Linux version of zoom) there is no original sound option, instead, before you start a meeting go into settings (cog icon) and then under audio, set suppress background noise to ‘Low’:

4 Likes

@liaty Thank you Greg. I do have Original Sound On, and High fidelity music mode selected. I have no issues with a basic Zoom recording using a condenser mic for vocals and guitar. My eyes glaze over when folks start talking about more complicated set ups, and there have been threads with much more complicated tech talk, and I was wondering if I should be trying to figure out something else now that I want to use the condenser mic to pick up sound from an acoustic amp, including a harmony pedal, rather than just singing and playing in the room and having the condenser mic pick that up directly.

2 Likes

Is that the Boss Acoustic Singer amp?

I believe these have a USB record out on them. If I’m right, you could plug that directly into the computer to feed into Zoom. It might be worth a try.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

@Majik yes it’s a Boss Acoustic Singer, thanks I will check that out!

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least Brian, if that’s how it went. :smiley:

2 Likes

And … how did this go? and much more importantly…is there any footage of it? :grin:

1 Like

I’m a bit like you insofar as my eyes glaze over too, when the tech talk goes beyond what my basic requirements need. I’ve never heard of a harmoniser pedal before, but if things become ‘fiddly’, I would suggest you singing with your guitar, and Krista goes as close to the mic that sounds right. (test recording on zoom). It’ll be fab if your internet connection holds out :smiley:

@roger_holland I’m afraid there is less ‘enthusiasm’ for practice with my band-mates. We ran through the song once and the consensus was: That sounds all wrong.
Gave it one more go which was better and they concluded: yes one more go before the show.
Hmmm… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

You were scary enough in the blue wig. The bull skull would be a step too far! :worried:

3 Likes

:scream: :sweat_smile:

:hot_face: :joy:

1 Like

Haha, I have the costume, but I can’t see it working if the four of us have to squeeze into the webcam view :rofl:

3 Likes

If things go fiddly that is the plan. I’m going to try Keith’s suggestion, and that may be all I have time to try anyway as I have mtgs tonight and tomorrow night, and surgery on Friday. At least that means there’s no chance I would have to try to learn a harmony and sing :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

All the best with your operation, Mari :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Ooooo Mari,
Good luck,…let us know how it went … or tell us about it on Saturday…
:sunflower: :kissing_closed_eyes: :bouquet: :rose: :tulip:

2 Likes

Good luck with the surgery Mari, will be thinking of you !
Can’t offer any tech solutions, as never gone down the mic’ed amp approach. Hopefully, the Majik will work for you.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

I hope the surgery goes well Mari. :slight_smile:

1 Like