Open Mic Testimonial for Richard (Close2u)

For those (particularly USA) who have asked me for other platforms to pay, I think the simplest option is if I make a donation on your behalf. Keep your eyes open if you have any friends or family who use PayPal and would be willing to transfer a tenner on your behalf, or alternatively, you could send me an Amazon gift voucher for whatever sum you wished as a sign of ‘gratitude’, rather than payment (to comply with Amazon rules on vouchers)
Cheers,
Brian

2 Likes

Sorry not around for this Brian.
I’ve sent you a message.
Anything to help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Brian: I will be sending you a donation through a friend who has Paypal (I decided not to open an account at this time) - next week when I get paid. Is there a way for him to notify you it is from me?

3 Likes

I might take the plunge and play at the last minute… if permitted. We’ll see.

5 Likes

@SandyMusic

Ye s Yes Yes, Sandy. I truly believe you are ready to take that step and play one of the songs you’ve shared with us, like Bad Moon Rising.

3 Likes

Its March already, I have week away from home planned as part of Annual Leave, and really no idea what should I play! Had one idea but not too happy about it and not enough time to learn… hopefully something will come to mind sooner rather than later! :scream:

3 Likes

@adi_mrok

And playing any song from your repertoire is also OK, Adrian. Actually more than just ‘OK’. Nobody should feel pressure that every time they perform it has to be a new, never-before-shared song.

I couldn’t tell you right now what you played in OM1. So would come as a surprise and then perhaps a recollection if you played one of those. And we have all grown as performers since OM1, so if you need further encouragement, the then and now might be interesting.

2 Likes

@adi_mrok I am sure you have one of your back catalogue you could use as quick win. I’m with David, blimey I can’t remember what I did at OM1 let alone the rest of you !!

@brianlarsen Mr L do you have a list of watchers and whittlers ? Quite happy to tabulate if needs be ?

2 Likes

@adi_mrok its an easy one Adrian. 74-75 was beutifull.

Go for that one​:grin::+1:

2 Likes

Haha thanks Trond however playing same song twice in a row will bore people to death :rofl:

Toby, David you are correct in all you said, however I like to add to my catalogue new stuff so might be tempting to try something new! Actually I thought about it this morning and I think I have one I was learning while back and got bored of it so put it on a sidelines. Good old open chords cowboy there so could be a good one to dust off! :grinning: and if not possibly one of the old ones would be good enough!

3 Likes

@Strummer_of_69 cheers, Jason. Just sent a message :smiley:

I’ll send you a pm with the details :smiley:
Of course you can play. In fact I find you get most of the benefits from preparing for the OMs: I practice more and have to think about things that I wouldn’t usually consider. I’d prepare for it anyway even if you decide not to go ahead for whatever reason :wink:

@adi_mrok Haha, I’ve seen you play. I have a vague hunch that you will be able to come up with a tune to play in 4 weeks’ time :wink:

Is this true?
Why wasn’t I told?
I thought they were supposed to be ‘originals’ or at least songs that no one had ever heard before! :roll_eyes: :rofl:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I’ll refresh the supporters’ list next week and ask peeps to let me know who’s up for throwing their hat in the ring for a song or two.
Plenty of time yet: Four weeks and a couple of hours :rofl:

3 Likes

We’ll see… I’m gonna do a session with a friend on Zoom tomorrow… to test

No worries I will be practicing the song everyday anyway… just in case

1 Like

I thought the fact that you perform to a higher bar needed no stating. You bring such unique dramatics to every performance that everything you do is quite original, even if you played it last week :laughing:

5 Likes

Three weeks (and a day) to Richard’s OM Testimonial. It’s time to start looking at line-ups
But first a bit of housekeeping:

A humongous thank you to all who have so generously supported the so far- much greater than I had hoped for at the outset! I’m especially blown away by support from so many of the recent community members.
Seriously- much appreciated :smiley:

Many of you will have noticed that I am not the quickest in replying to messages, acknowledging receipts, and updating lists. Rest assured, I shall fine-toothcomb my PayPal emails and bank transactions to make sure all incoming lucre reaches Richard, but would nonetheless appreciate it if you could check the updated list in the first post to let me know of any inadvertent omissions.

Anyone who would like to be added to the list (support or perform) please message me for details.

Could everyone who is considering playing a tune (or two) for our mentor, please let me know (even if you already have)- either in this thread or by message? You can always back out if you change your mind for whatever reason. Please indicate whether you would like to play one or two songs.
‘Veterans’ need not let me know that they are happy to step aside if we are over-subscribed. (We never have been and they would be the first to be dropped anyway :laughing:).
The preparation on its own is a valuable experience. I’m especially thinking of folk who have not yet played in public and might think there is some basic standard required. Not so. It’s for everybody of all levels.
I’m less worried about who will be attending the event live. I will send out a link to everyone who has signed up and supported, or indeed anyone else who would like one as well. In any event the recording should be up on the website soon after the event (subject to performers’ consent).

6 Likes

Brian - Many thanks for the update. I’ve got a couple lined up, with the caveat you have already covered. Regardless I’ll be there on the day.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@brianlarsen
Thanks again for putting this together, Brian. I’ll be there to play one song. But could play a second from the repertoire on request on the night.

2 Likes

Thanks Brian. One song from me. I’m having oral surgery Mar 25th so hopefully I’ll be good to play on the 1st. I’m ready now - but that’s not helpful! :smiley:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Never had a doubt about you having a couple of numbers ready for showtime- it’s your fixation with pushing the boundaries of technology and chasing that perfect sound that unsettles me :laughing: Do as I did and slap on a blue wig; nobody will notice what you sound like :rofl:

@DavidP and cheers to you for the offer of MCing. Will you do the usual blurb and kick off with a song at the start? You can decide if/when to slot in a second song. We’ve never been short on time yet…

@Mari63 You poor thing :anguished: Maybe you should make it an instrumental in that case? Wouldn’t be the same without you :wink:

1 Like

Its all looking good tech wise at the moment but I’ll be setting up the old Xenyx Ai as a standby just in case. :scream: :+1:

2 Likes