Eddie_09 - September 2022 - Original song - This Is Your Time (plus Stereophonics)

Absolutely wonderful song straight from the heart. I have spent a lifetime trying to write a song like that. You definitely succeeded here. I am glad Killian is on his way to recovery.

Jeff

1 Like

Lovely song Eddie, what a way to express your thoughts and feelings!
So happy to hear that everything has turned out OK finally, should you sing it to your wife? Of course you should, if she ainā€™t really proud of you for this Iā€™ll eat my hat :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Wow thank you so much James. Itā€™s definitely given me the encouragement to try and write more.

1 Like

Wow thank you Jeff. That is high praise. I hadnā€™t intended to write a song it just came to me one day on the beach with my son. I think I had it finished in under 15 minutes (some tweaking afterwards). I recently watched the Tom Petty documentary wildflowers and I remember him saying that the best songs he ever wrote just popped straight out. If I can do it so can you Jeff. I have full confidence in you!

Thanks so much Darrell. Itā€™s was a pretty hellish few months but we are getting there. I really appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to listen. I will play it for my wife and let you know later if you need to eat your hatā€‹:joy::joy::joy:. Cheers again Darrell!

1 Like

That was really lovely!!! Just loved it nice original!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers Byron! Glad you enjoyed it :sunglasses:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Eddie. The authenticity and deeply personal nature of the song really came all the way through in your delivery.

Itā€™s raw and intimate, works well with just an acoustic guitar + voice, no production needed.

As far as painful experiences go, sitting and waiting while your childā€™s life hangs in the balance is ā€“ well itā€™s in its whole own category. I know a little something about how that feels. I hope that channeling your experience into a song has helped you to get through it and I applaud your courage in sharing it here.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to read that Killian is on the road to a full recovery. I can only begin to imagine what you and your family went through.

The song was wonderful Eddie and full of emotion. One Iā€™m sure your son will appreciate when he is older.

1 Like

This is a lovely song, genuine and heart touching and you are playing and singing it beautifully. Iā€™m glad to hear that your son is recovering well :heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much Brendan. That means a lot! It was the toughest experience of my life which probably brought so much emotion into the song. For me at the moment raw acoustic guitar and bare vocals seem to work as all I have is a regular guitar and an iPad to record. I would love to be able to produce better recordings but am a bit clueless as to what I would need or where to start. Thanks again for listening and commenting and I hope also that whatever difficult experience you went through worked out!

Thanks Stefan, your comment means a lot. Yes hopefully my son will one day understand and appreciate the song. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

1 Like

Thanks so much Silvia for listening and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

Hi Eddie,

Justin also has videos about this:

:slight_smile:

Greetings,
Nadine

1 Like

Thank you Nadine. That is very kind of you! :sunglasses:

Thanks Eddie, it did work out OK. My eldest daughter needed open heart surgery at 6 weeks old to repair a congenital heart defect. Sheā€™s 4 years old now and doing fine, but man. That was a hell of a time. It was years before I could even start the process of unpacking that psychological trauma. Back then I did not have any musical skills so writing a song wasnā€™t something I could have done or even considered. Might have been helpful!

As for the recording stuff, itā€™s a deep rabbit hole, and a real potential time and money sink, but if itā€™s something you want to pursue, it can be a lot of fun. You can think of it as an entire hobby unto itself, alongside playing guitar.

If you want to get started, Justin has some helpful info about that in the beginnerā€™s course but youā€™d need at a minimum

• a decent microphone
  • a stand for the microphone
  • an audio interface, probably a 2-in 2-out. This connects your microphone(s) and/or guitar leads to your computer.
  • a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), software tool used to record and produce. If youā€™ve got a Mac, it comes with the Garage Band DAW pre-installed which is pretty decent. There are also free/open source and paid DAWs out there.
  • tens of hours to dedicate to learning to use your DAW, and editing/mixing your tracks.

Iā€™m still pretty new to the whole thing, there are plenty of others on this forum much more experienced, but Iā€™d be happy to help out if you have any questions.

2 Likes

Heartfelt and a great first song. Glad you son is recovering well

2 Likes

Wow thanks for sharing your story Brendan. I am so glad it turned out well for your daughter!! Itā€™s so heartbreaking watching your child lie in a hospital bed. I keep telling Killian that after what he went through there is something great in store for him in life and I hope itā€™s the same for your daughter!
Thanks for the information on recording and it certainly seems that you can get as deep in as you like. For the moment I am keeping it simple and not trying to accumulate much stuff as we are moving back to Europe (after 4 years in Chicago) early next year.
Thanks again for your support and encouragement Brendan! Itā€™s very much appreciated!

Thanks so much Trevor!!

Gosh thatā€™s heart-wrenching Eddie. Fantastic that you can use music so well to help deal with it.

All the best to you and your son

Phil

2 Likes