Paranoid | Black Sabbath

The famous intro riff to Paranoid has always been part of my warm up routine before practicing. I never got further than that so I figured it was about time I made an effort to actually learn this killer song.

On the surface it looked easy enough, with just a handful of power chords throughout the song. But man, am I glad the song is under three minutes because that downpicking is pretty fatiguing. :sweat_smile:

Then there’s the solo, which is textbook E minor pentatonic. But it has everything you want: increasing speed, bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs and a run though the different positions. Overall I’m pretty happy with the result, but what you don’t see are the 347ish takes (and a lot of swearing) that preceded this final one.

I hope you like it!

28 Likes

Great stuff :metal:whenever I see/hear you guys rocking out on a leccy I get a massive dose of G.A.S :joy: you sounded brill, worth every one of those 347ish takes :v:

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
That was very nice and tight rock :sunglasses: :clap:…I think I’m good for the day`s other stuff…looking for peace in the garden work now :sunglasses: :grin:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

There was I thinking Black Sabbath, not my cup of tea, but I will listen anyway. Boy, that was good well done. I have now found that I like a Black Sabbath song.

1 Like

Wow, Jeff! You nailed that one! It doesn’t matter it took 347 nails :rofl: - this result is deffo worth it!
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it. :+1:

1 Like

Jeff,
Nice rendition and play of this classic. All them takes paid off mano! Your play seemed very good and well done!

All the best and keep up the good vibe!
LB

1 Like

Lovely guitar playing!
Rockin’ and rolling!!!

1 Like

Very nicely done @Jeff now you got me wanting to learn it too. Dunno about that solo though, beyond my current level!!

1 Like

Great stuff Jeff, well played. That’s a fun one to jam with.

1 Like

Great song and quite a workout that’s for sure. Pretty impressive playing on the solo too, you sounded amazing. I’ll remind myself next time when I’m at the 312th take for whatever I’m learning that in just a few more takes I’ll have it!!!

2 Likes

:metal: :confounded:
All right!! That sounded tight and on point, my friend! :clap: Fantastic tune to cover and you’ve nailed it! :star_struck:
I’ve tackled this a couple of times in the past and always found the intro a little tricky (despite looking fairly simple) and the solo I’ve never been able to get up to speed (probably only 85-90% at best) so big respect! Nicely done!! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Awesome performance Jeff. The solo sounded great… you pretty much nailed it mate.

1 Like

Jeff smashing job, you nailed this one to the ground! Amazing throughout, well worth all those 347ish takes! I do get the same whenver I record, no matter how simple the tune is :unamused: all the best!

1 Like

Thight Jeff!! :fire: sounds killer! And yeah. There are a few downpicks on this one :rofl:
Great looking
Great looking guitars by the way… the red les paul looks amazing.

1 Like

That was terrific, Jeff :fire::metal::fire:.
Fantastic job. Well worth the time you put into practicing and recording it.
Thanks a lot for sharing. This rocked my day :star_struck:.

1 Like

That absolutely RAWKED!!!

1 Like

Awesome Jeff, sounded great, great playing and great tone.

I play this one too BUT have not even tried to tackle the solo. You did that really well.

And yeah I agree with @nzmetal that the intro is deceptively tricky to get the timing right on.

2 Likes

Cracking recording there Jeff. Super smooth and a great way to rock it. Tone sounded awesome too.

1 Like

Awesome, sounded great - both rhythm and solo work!

1 Like

Really great job Jeff, very nicely played. I’ll add it to my list again but it has defeated me every other time I have tried it. One day I will get it.

1 Like