Peter Gunn Theme

Hi @Richard_close2u

When I started this course, I went ahead and learned all the major chords. While learning the C chord I had trouble stretching the third finger. I had to start with the third finger on fret 3 and make my way down to fret 1. The exercise shown here helped me overcome this within minutes. After couple of days I no longer had trouble with stretching my third finger naturally.

I’m curious, is there are similar daily exercises I can do to separate my second and third finger for the current song. They always seem to attract towards each other at the center like magnets. I’ve read that being able to do the Vulcan salute (:vulcan_salute:) helps. I can do this with my strumming hand but not the fretting hand.

I was able to play the song by slightly shifting the hand to the right when playing the fifth fret with my pinky. However I would like to get them fully separated so I don’t have to do this. I would appreciate any tips.

In the meantime I’ll incorporate the exercises mentioned by @LievenDV to my routine.

Thanks as always!

1 Like

The riff is the exercise. Make your fingers do what you want them to do and every day they will get better and better. Justin has tips in the middle video to help seperate your fingers.

1 Like

my pinky is two inches long…

1 Like

My hand is too small for this exercise. I have tiny kid size hands and fingers and there is no way all my fingers will stretch that far no matter how many stretching exercises I do.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Rebecca
You’ll be surprised how far your hands will stretch given a chance. If you need to move your hand to do it at first that’s fine. The point is to eventually be able to stretch you hand further than it does now. Part of learning is figuring out how to do things that work for you.

3 Likes

The trouble is my pinky literally can’t reach that string without moving my hand. Even then the side of the neck is hitting my hand unless I really bend at the wrist. I was unsure if guitar was really a good choice for me with my tiny hands, but I keep trying.

1 Like

Hi Rebecca, just keep working on those stretches. It won’t be instant results but you’ll gradually see improvements over time. I was working on a really stretchy chord which I thought there is no way in the world am I going to ever be able to fret that chord but with continuous practice over time I was getting closer and closer and eventually was able to fret that chord.

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca, good to meet you. I’m fortunate with my dinner plate hands but nevertheless a lot of the stretching across frets did not come naturally or easily, it really is more than just biology so to speak! Truly a case of persisting and you’ll gradually get there. Do try not to get discouraged, so much of this is discovering what works for you and we are all different, part of the fun(!)

Good luck with it, sending you stretchy vibes!!

2 Likes

if you need to move your hand that’s ok you don’t want to be bending your wrist to much. What make and model is your guitar? Some times people buy guitars that are to big for them and a small body guitar would be better.
Do you have a capo? if so put it on the 5th fret and try playing it up there. The frets are closer together up the neck. It will sound higher than what Justin is playing but it will be easier on you hand and wrist.
It’s also OK if you never can play it. What’s important is that you have fun learning so don’t be to hard on yourself.
Learning to play an instrument is the best gift you can give yourself.

3 Likes

Like the G7 chord i’m learning at the moment which is definitely a stretch!

2 Likes

@dantejms
As Lieven and Stitch have said, it is a question of using the stretch exercises (and adaptations you may make yourself to focus on fingers 2 and 3) plus this riff itself.
I hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

This must surely win the award for best first post ever!
:wink:

5 Likes

Hello, is it OK to play it down-up-down-up ( I think its called alternate) or has the use of down strokes some specific function or reason?

1 Like

@Stepan1988 Down-Up is indeed called alternate picking. If you can do it then go for it. Justin suggests Down strokes here to keep things simple, less to think about.

1 Like

Is it okay if the pinky touches strings 1 to 5 or should I try to only touch string 6 with the pinky?
Thanks

2 Likes

Michael @Karu
First of all welcome to the community :+1:
I think I understand your query, your pinky should only really touch string 6. It took me a while to get used to playing it, so don’t get discouraged.
Michael

3 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply @MAT1953 :blush:
Okay I better start practicing then :grin:

2 Likes

Hello Michael, as (the other) Michael @MAT1953 has already said, yes, try only to touch the 6th string with your pinky. It is not only a great and fun riff to play, but also a fantastic finger practice for other things to come :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Michael @Karu
Nicole @NicoleKKB

If what a laugh see my attempts at this and other Grade 1 riffs

I think this link should work

Michael

1 Like

Hey everyone, I also found this a good exercise to do on the other 5 strings. Good to practise hitting the right string - doesn’t have to be too fast either

1 Like