Pinky Workout

I agree. I think as long as you are get your pinky down cleanly on the string. I think That is the important part. I do this exercise every day. It is great

4 Likes

Thanks for calling out Arek, guys above said it all really so I am a bit late to the party :grinning: keep at it, your muscles will stretch and you will be able to spread your fingers more and pinky will straight itself out :wink: all the best

1 Like

Is it normal to feel a bit of tension in the fretting hand when starting out with this exercise?

Hi Gertjan,
Yes that`s normal,
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Great, thank you very much @Tbushell and @JasonBuk for the feedback :smiley:

So, as long as I can put the pinky close to the fret and the sound is clean it is ok. Great :smiley:

Just last question, to be sure that I get it right.
Is it also fine when I put a tip of the pinky a bit on the side on the string ? Like that:

Yeah, thatā€™s fine.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great, thank you very much :grinning:

Hello people, not a question particular for this excersice but more general:
If you do precision exercises on the acoustic guitar, do you have to repeat them on the electric guitar to get the precision on the electric guitar as well ? Thanks !

Not sure if this question is well placed here - but Iā€™m coming back to this lesson to consolidate and realising that rather than my pinky finger being a problem that my 3rd finger kind of collapses when I go to play the note. Does anyone else have this happen?

Hi @Sound_Bound, Iā€™ve currently got this exercise in my practice routine as well. Could you post a photo of your 3rd finger collapsing? Like others here, I have more difficulty with my pinky. I notice that if I focus on making my pinky perpendicular to fretboard, it my third finger definitely changes position - actually it impacts the positioning of all my other fingers! I expect this will get better over time.

Hi Frans @FraLus, I didnā€™t see that you ever received an answer to this (or a welcome to the community, for that matter!) So first - welcome! Regarding doing exercises on both acoustic and electric, I do practice on both. I start on acoustic, because thatā€™s a bit more physically challenging, then practice on my electric. Of course the neck is different enough between the two that the electric also feels difficult! I figure itā€™s good to get used to finding the frets and strings on various guitars. Iā€™m a Grade 2 beginner, so if you receive different advice from a more advanced player it might be better to give that more weight. :blush:

2 Likes

Hey Judi, thanks for the welcome ! I think I received some enthousiastic welcomes on a another topic so dont feel sorry for me :wink: . Also thanks for answering the question. Because finger memory is very accurate I was wondering if it needs some adjustment when switching guitars. I think this will come naturally/automatically if you have more experience. See you around the site Judi and keep playing !

2 Likes