Play Better Guitar: The Finger Gym Exercise

After doing this exercise, I have found that I can’t get any sound volume from my pinkie finger when I hammer on. To avoid frustration I have had to switch to my electric for this exercise.

I get the best results from my pinkie when I am hammering on to play the the Dsus4 from the D chord in a progression to the Dsus2, but I have a harder time getting volume from my pinkie hammering on with this exercise. Hopefully, I’ll get more strength as I practice.

1 Like

I’ve been doing just the pinky hammers, which seems to be helping with the dexterity of that finger

For me, getting a good HO seems to be more about relaxing the finger, cocking it above the fretboard, and coming down square on the string with the finger tip

It’s more about relaxation and precision than strength

I also find it helpful to lightly touch the string before the HO…seems to really help my accuracy

2 Likes

I think starting with electric is right. Just don’t use a compressor so you’re getting the actual volume. With practice the pinky hammers get stronger.

2 Likes

@Tbushell @jkahn Thanks for the advice. Electric is definitely the way to go for me at this point. I’m using a Fender Mustang Micro amp hanging off the Jack on my Strat (cheaper Mexican made Strat), for grab and go, so I don’t know if I has an inline compressor in the amp models. I am just happy to be able to hear something when I hammer on with my pinky. (I did check and the default amp model on the Mustang Micro does use compression, so I am setting to another amp model).

I will just keep working on it until it feels more natural. I am used to hammering on with the 2nd and 3rd fingers. I am not as use to using the pinky.

I did notice that it is easier for me to hammer on with my pinky two frets over from the index finger instead of the standard 3 frets over. That’s is due to my stretching out my short pinky which may prevent my pinky from hitting the string straight on at a right angle, so continued stretching exercises might help with the pinky hammer ons.

I have also added the pinky exercises from module 9 to my practice routine to increase the control of my pinky.

3 Likes

Isn’t this the same one as in https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/beginner-hammer-ons-bg-1008 ?
Or is there a difference?

1 Like

Did you actually watch them? This lesson is longer, has more depth, and offers further advice.

1 Like

Yes, I did watch them. But the first one was a while ago.
And I just remembered doing the exercise often and thinking “oh, I know this exercise already.”

1 Like

I have my own finger exercise gizmo:

2 Likes

Just finished module 15 (grade 3) and at the end Justin mentions on the website that there is a tab for “pro play along” to help with the finger gym exercise. I just came to the website from the app. Can someone let me know how to find this?

1 Like

It’s under a tab on the lesson, resources I think.

You also need to buy guitar pro to use it.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll look for it. Appreciate the info.

2 Likes

@CaptainBeer @jnhrvy See the 1st post where I have just placed an audio file & tab.

1 Like

That is super cool and very helpful. Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Hello

I had a quick question. I understand the finger pairing but does it matter the position that my other fingers are in. For example when working on fingers 3 & 4, fingers 1 & 2 should they be close the the board or it’s totally just how your hand naturally goes in that position.

Thank you

1 Like

Isn’t this the same exercise from Grade 2, Module 10?

1 Like

Where will I find the GP play along file?

1 Like

@gjlaird
There is no GP file as far as I know, Jim, no Resources in the lesson on the JG website beyond the video and description. There is a tab in the First Post of this Topic and if you have GP should be quick and simple to create your own GP file.

1 Like

Inactive fingers should be in a relaxed curl, more or less parallel to the active fingers, and hovering over or lightly touching the strings.

Not flying up straight away from the fretboard or jammed into other fingers!

If this is happening, you are probably playing with way too much tension. Slow it down, and consciously relax these fingers between each note. If this takes a few seconds between each note, that’s fine. As you learn to relax, speeding up will become mush easier.

2 Likes

Thank you…the funny thing is when I play a song they are fine but when I do some of these drills they take on odd shapes and placing. I’ll work on this thank you again and have a nice day. Appreciate the reply.

1 Like

Hi Tyfelin, I have the same issue. Are you by any chance a lefty playing right handed (I am). I suspect years of writing resting my hand on the page has caused this for me. My finger physically won’t point straight in the curled position. I have just accepted that I will have to use the outer edge of my little finger and work on accuracy as I have such a small contact point.

2 Likes