Play What You Hear Exercise

I also have trouble telling whether the notes are higher or lower. I don’t know if this will help, but I found I could get the first 11 notes of jingle bells after a few minutes (having failed at the other suggested songs), so maybe that is the easiest one to start with. Or maybe it’s just the one I know “in my head” best.

1 Like

First time here on ear training, I mainly struggled with knowing if the fingering I was using was right e.g when I tried Happy Bday on my own, what I thought sounded right ended up not being right when I then watched your demo LOL. I’ll keep practicing! Will there be more to come on ear training? Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the community.

Yes there is a whole Ear Training course

There is also a module in Grade 3 which works on learning to pick out melodies.

@Rockwood I just tried this for the first time with Happy Birthday and fared very badly. I had to watch Justin again just to get the third note! :grin:
I’ll keep at it since that seems to be the point of the exercise but don’t feel bad.

Enjoying this exercise but I am having trouble thinking of songs to try! I’ll run out of nursery rhymes soon.

If it works for inspiration, I’m working on video game themes (like Mario bros and Tetris) and anime/cartoon openings (like evangelion and The Simpson).

@rosslustman @Rumil ever thought about trying real songs. if you already figured out happy birthday and all the nursery rhymes you know try some of the grade 1 song on the website.

1 Like

@Rumil good call on the video game themes, wouldn’t have thought of that
@stitch yeah actually today I tried to the vocal line from a real song and I got, uh, well I got the first 3 or 4 intervals right lol.

1 Like

@rosslustman @Rumil
Justin just uploaded this the other day could help both you guys out

3 Likes

Hey @stitch, thank you for the info! I’ll see the video later, however transcribing is a grade 3 thing, isn’t it?

The Play what you hear exercise is the first step to transcribing.
This lesson is the next step. Very nicely laid out and easy to follow lesson.

2 Likes

There is a lesson just before that one worth checking out too. Looking at the song list to transcribe its a few of the suggested songs from the power chord module you’ve recently completed.

2 Likes

Thank you, @stitch , @Socio I’ll check these lessons

1 Like

Just had a go at this lesson, and found it really valuable. Happy Birthday was a little too much for me (I managed to fumble my way through the first couple phrases, then got lost) but I did manage to figure out Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Took me about half an hour but I got there! :partying_face:

In a sense, it sounds pretty silly to be excited about taking half an hour to play a lame song like Twinkle, but ear training is an area where I really struggle, so this was a big accomplishment for me. A lot more rewarding than interval training because it feels like I’m actually making some kind of progress.

4 Likes

I am long on this community but always skipped this lesson.
Now I’m going to learn it.
Happy birthday is not so easy as I thought. I’m struggling with the ending. Just started yesterday.

2 Likes

@Rolandson I remember also struggling with the end when I first tried…it took for me more time than I wish to admit to get to the all melody :scream: but I got it eventually :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Every day, 10 minutes, 5 days a week. Let’s see how long it takes for me. I can play it on the E string, but not in one place where I need to change strings.

I can play happy birthday.
Ad now marry had little lamp. Took me 80 minutes

2 Likes

Honestly, playing a melody on 1 string would seem more difficult to me than playing it in one position on multiple strings.

1 Like

For me, it is easier, but I learn it in one position, like Justin said.
Chip 'n dale is the next one I want to try

1 Like

I just can’t work out the A team theme. I have the melodie in my head but I’m still at the beginning. Is there a good ear training software that can help me?

1 Like