Playing A shape Barre chords with a pinky

I’ve been playing for years and use my pinky for A shape Barre chords. Even on acoustic. I seem to be able to pull it off. I can’t play it so well using my third finger. Is it worth it to retrain myself to play it that way?

It doesn’t matter really, if you can do it comfortably then that’s ok. I’m trying to think where it could cause a problem but can’t think of anything - someone else might!

Yeah its only a problem if you cant shift to something else as well (aka E barre/powerchord etc).

I am fortunately able to use either 3rd or 4th at will.
I know I must use 3rd if I’m going to play a sus4 whilst in the barre chord position.
Other than that whatever suits.

2 Likes

A shaped major barre chords are the ones I struggle with the most at the moment. I’ve never tried with my pinky.
I must give this a go.

1 Like

Richard, as Richard said there may be times when playing the A barre that you want to embellish with the pinky. So I’d say worth practising with the ring finger.

Another worth learning is to play the 7th using just the ring and pinky, leaving the G string barred.

2 Likes

It’s not necessarily something I’d recommend to someone starting out but whatever works for you is great. and no reason to change that skill. It certainly is worth exploring the option of using your third finger to have something else in your arsenal and for reasons others have outlined re embelishments etc.

1 Like