Playing campfire songs as a rhythm guitar player

Roger, I really envy you, having had that experience. Parties must have been great fun.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your comments. It has cheered me up to know that the reason I couldnā€™t figure out how to put a song across by just playing rhythm was because it is not really possible. The only way of doing campfire songs is to sing or play lead.

I have watched the singing video again and the only hope I have is the ā€˜talk singingā€™, although I have found that hard, but I have only tried once so far.

Thanks again for everyoneā€™s comments.

4 Likes

There are more grammatical (word) errors in that quote than I can actually handle :grimacing:ā€¦

Yes, that was and is certainly funā€¦ now only 1 such birthday per year with really a lot of good musicians and many instruments (although I wasnā€™t there the last 2 times). so this year I am able to joining that group of friends if/when they are playing early on the day :crossed_fingers:
If than than I let my wife video it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Cool :sunglasses:
Try to remember to separate the different skillsets of ā€˜singingā€™ and doing two different things simultaneously. As Josh says:

Phrasing the lyrics in a talking voice over your playing is a skill anyone can practice (and can sound fab). itā€™ll make it a lot easier, if you decide to ā€˜singā€™ later on too :smiley:

1 Like

I love Sudoku, Wordle and Rogier :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Tjeemig de Peemig :joy: I almost choke with laughter :rofl:
serious pressure on my head and bright red :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Check out this guy, amazing, no singing.

https://youtube.com/@KfirOchaion?si=AjV4Ffl9cPHgbStI

A high target to aim for, but you have to start somewhere right?

You could maybe find a few tracks which are melodic on their own, without a rhythm underneath - is there anybody out there springs to mindā€¦

1 Like

Tony, if thereā€™s other people around, and youā€™re at a party or bbq sort of situation, and you have a guitar, tell people what youā€™re about to play and invite them to sing along. Music is communal and even if you canā€™t sing youā€™re providing the musical accompaniment for them to sing. It is joyous. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally, I find singing extremely hard.

There are many layers when adding singing to your playing.

What I notice for me is that as soon as I try to speak-sing-croak anything I suddenly have absolutely no idea what my strumming hand is doing (fretting hand not so bad, maybe because I am left handed?). This is actually quite hilarious, and I am trying to work on it. The keys seem to be to simplify (both singing and strumming) and to learn/ingrain the strumming more deeply first.

Regardless, although some people seem to be able to sing along easily, just like some seem to learn guitar more easily, it is absolutely not easy in my book.

I sit alone in my basement music cave making strange noises as I slowly put this together. It will never be fantastic, my voice is untrained and I am not going to work on it that way, just work on getting a bit out to the best of my ability so that I may be in front of family or a few close enough friends to tolerate me and sing, and laugh, and cry and laugh about it all again (name the songā€¦).

2 Likes

Talk about ā€˜perfecting the artā€™- That cover was so spectacular, I nicked the artwork for Pulpā€™s version, drawn by Jamie Hewlitt (of Tank Girl & Gorillaz fame) and put it on my YT channel.
I donā€™t really pay attention to views, but this one has thousands :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This thread is very timely for me. At six months in, Iā€™ve realized that the songs Iā€™m learning to play really donā€™t sound a lot like the song unless someone sings. Even when they are recognizable, theyā€™re very repetitive.

My mother will be visiting in June, and I know sheā€™ll want a ā€œrecital,ā€ so Iā€™ve identified a few songs that Iā€™ll try to perfect by then, but itā€™s clear that - without singing - theyā€™re really pretty much ā€œdoneā€ after a few bars.

I could say that I donā€™t sing well, and that would be true, but - more importantly - I donā€™t want to sing. Learning to play the guitar is plenty challenging enough; Iā€™m not interested in making it more difficult by trying to do it while patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time. I have zero desire to join a band or perform for audiences. I just want to learn to play this instrument.

So I lean much more strongly toward learning to play songs (or arrangements of songs) that combine rhythm and melody in a way that lend them to being played by a single instrument. The challenge now will be finding those.

As always, I appreciate this discussion. It has brought to the fore and clarified something that was just entering my consciousness.

Addendum: I know myself well enough to know that Iā€™m rarely satisfied with ā€œgood enough,ā€ so itā€™s very likely that, someday, when I get the guitar bit down well enough, Iā€™m probably going to say, ā€œOK, letā€™s revisit that singing thingā€¦ā€ But that day is very far away. Very.

3 Likes

When the day comes that people realise Iā€™m learning guitar (Iā€™ve mostly kept it under my hat because I donā€™t want to play for people until Iā€™m ready) then Iā€™ll definitely be playing with a backing track and I have no issue with thatā€¦ Iā€™m learning rhythm guitar after all. Yeah Iā€™ll look to develop with embellishments over time but thatā€™s where I am for the foreseeable future and Iā€™m fine with that

4 Likes

:grin: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

I feel like doing that to MY GUITAR when Iā€™m playing!!! :crazy_face:

Tod

1 Like

I sure hope no one does that to me! lol

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why I donā€™t let anyone hear me play. My guitars would probably kill themselves if they could.

1 Like

My guitars are all in straight jackets so they canā€™t hurt themselves!!! :crazy_face:

Tod

PS - Brings to mind a name for a really bad bandā€¦.
Six String Suicide!!!

1 Like

Playing with a backing track is a really great idea. You become the rythm guitarist of your favorite band and everyone will recognize the song.

2 Likes

This is an interesting discussion. I enjoy singing but i understand that not everyone wants to sing or enjoys singing. I hadnā€™t thought out the realities of playing songs at a party; how to get people to join along or recognize the song. If you done want to sing, I wonder if you could announce to people next to you what you are about to play to see if they would sing along. Maybe say something like, ā€œHey I am going to play (insert name of song) anyone know this song?ā€

I saw some posts on learning to sing and play in this thread. I leaned the hard way that is it harder than it looks to sing and play at the same time. I learned that I need to practice the singing and playing separately and put it together when I know both parts well. You can also play the song using a very simple strumming pattern. For example, you could play 1 note per measure or quarter notes and that make it easier to sing along if you donā€™t know the song well.

1 Like