Please help me follow a structured path - and help me adapt chord grips and avoid frustration as I have a hand injury

I don’t view this as being ā€œOff Roadā€. Everybody’s learning path is going to vary. Nobody is expected to stick to an exact formula and to play nothing other than that formula.

Here’s a rough outline of the path I’ve followed:

2001-ish - first acoustic guitar, tried (and failed) to learn from a book
2007-ish through late 2008 - lessons from 2 different private instructors. I switched instructors when I moved. graduate school and a very severe medical issue stopped progress
2018-ish - took a group beginner’s class through the local community college. went well to start with but the pace was too fast by the end and I got left behind. ended up with neuropathy in my fretting fingers (persistent numbness/tingling) that took months of no guitar whatsoever before it went away

2024 - took a beginner module from a different online program. some subtle instructional methods got through some barriers that had hindered me in the past and I finally started to absorb stuff and make some progress.
mid 2024 - got a private instructor, who pushed me on a lot of stuff. some probably too early (like soloing) but other stuff was great. one song he got me on is one I still really like to play regularly. others I revisit here and there.
late 2024 thru 2025 - took an online ā€œguitar bootcampā€ class that had a beginner path. like the group class I took earlier, everything went well to start with but by the end the pace of the class was too fast and I couldn’t keep up. I also started to decide I wanted to learn some blues - took some beginner blues modules on another learning platform and did some really basic blues shuffle 12 bar rhythm stuff. also started Justin’s Grade 1. A lot of what I had done prior was included here, but not everything. So I just went through Grade 1 in its entirety. I was doing too much and got overwhelmed. In early 2025 I stopped private lessons because I got laid off from work. I also stepped back from doing online lessons regularly because I wanted to work on refining what I’d been through.
2025 into 2026 - focused on my rhythm and playing with others. attended local guitar jams and local uke jams (with my guitar). focused on just playing songs. learned some chords along the way. got better at ā€œfindingā€ the beat when I’m in a chaotic large group play environment. bought Justin’s Strumming SOS course and worked through some modules to help out there. In late 2025 I bought Justin’s Solo Blues course. I’m no singer, so this is my jam. Took a looooong time working on the piece in the first module. Decided that it’s time I started to shift a focus to learning new material again. Finally managed to use a full F barre chord in a song (AND performed that song in an open mic performance!). Started on Grade 2 courses. Currently working on some early Grade 2 songs. Found a jam buddy and started working with him to put together a few songs to play together at an open mic performance. Bought a baritone uke and have now signed up to attend a weeklong uke retreat (starts this Saturday). Given the similarity between baritone uke and guitar, I expect a good bit of what I learn should transfer directly between the two instruments. And what doesn’t transfer directly shouldn’t be too difficult to transpose/transfer.

My pathway has been circuitous to say the least. I’ve been learning things the whole time. Yeah, I’ve colored outside the lines when it comes to specific courses. But instead of it looking like a big mess, I’m just making that artwork my own. When it comes to the songs Justin lists for different grades, I play the ones that interest me. And I find other songs outside that which interest me. Some of them go beyond the ā€œgradeā€ I’m working on. I’m working on some Grade 3 songs right now, even though I haven’t touched any Grade 3 lessons. Some of the songs I enjoy playing aren’t included in any of Justin’s grades. And if they were, I have no idea where they’d fit.

1 Like

Hi again Camille!

I’m guessing here that you don’t have Justin’s App. I am at the beginning/middle of Grade 3 & have used the app for about 2 years, mainly for the guitar playalong feature… it has the first 3 Grades lessons & a suggested practice schedule tailored for what you’re learning at that time in addition to the guitar karaoke, a tuner & more. I’m not trying to sell you on anything, but for me it’s a ton of fun! Especially those days when I am not feeling like learning or really practicing ~ I just pull up the app, go to my song favorites & play along with a few! Always, always puts a smile on my face! It allows you to filter by chords, grade level etc. & has over 1000 songs, many which I bet you’ll recognize.
Being on the ā€œslow boatā€ to guitar proficiency, I take a lot of time with each lesson & also time between lessons to just play songs with new techniques Justin is teaching as I go along!

With all the musical gear you have, you’re in a good place to keep your hands & mind busy!
Have fun!!! :star_struck:

Tod

P.S. Try not to let all the new terminology & techniques overwhelm you. Keep your pace steady & Justin will hold your hand & guide you through the tough stuff & help you along in the Journey! The Community means well but sometimes I think we can forget what it was like to be a ā€œtotal newbieā€!!!

Mustela, thank you for your response.
It sounds like we travelled on similar paths on our journey to learning the guitar. I am trying to be more patient and forgiving with myself…(I also have a baritone uke (as well as a concert uke).
When I get overwhelmed and/or too frustrated with making what seems like elementary mistakes on my acoustic guitar, I switch to my electric, which is a little easier for me to play. When that gets to be too much, I pick up a uke…it calms me down.
My financial situation isn’t allowing me to purchase any additional programs at this time, so I will continue on Justin’s free path.

1 Like

Tod,
Thanks for your response.
Actually, believe I DO have the app. I just haven’t figured out how to use it (I’m kinda techno-stupid for a college graduate :anguished_face:).
I think my anxiousness will calm down and I will be fine after I’ve gotten through some of the scary medical stuff that is happening this month. In the meantime, I will stick with simple practices in level 1 and leave the more challenging stuff for next month.

1 Like

Silvia,
I will revisit the LL in a week or so. I’m having surgery in a few days and I don’t seem to be able to concentrate on much else at this time. Thank you for the advice.

1 Like

Yay for you for finding inspiration through Django!! :partying_face: I get inspired by the children who play so well.
With12 years of voice and some keyboard training in my youth, I don’t understand why I am not comprehending guitar techniques.
I’m thinking that I may look into some of the music theory for guitar…maybe that will clarify some things for me.

1 Like

I hope your surgery goes well. It does tend to focus the mind somewhat.

Don’t stress about it taking time to learn what is needed to find the chords, or even going off-piste with the training.
As I’ve always said - Unless you’re planning on selling out the Royal Albert Hall in a couple of weeks, what does it matter?

The twisted finger can be an issue - my ring finger is wonky from being broken and it means that some chords are difficult, others just about impossible; but I always add the phrase ā€˜at the minute’ to anything like that.
There are likely to be chords in some positions that will cause a lot of issues, but as it’s possible to form chords all over the neck there is often a way around it.

Plus, learning all the chords is never easy - I took a year to form an F chord, and the nerve damage in my arm means it is still a problem.

I would suggest looking carefully at different guitars. Different scale lengths and nut widths could make a huge difference. I’ve had to order an SG style guitar because I am currently finding it very painful to play my everyday guitar (Jazzmaster style) in the open position, and have had more time off playing in the last 5 years than I’ve had playing.
The SG style has a shorter scale length (same as a Les Paul) and a 43mm nut. the additional mm on the nut means I may be able to put that wonky ring finger down without everything buzzing.

Just take things one step at a time, play whatever YOU want. Use the JG website/app as a guide but don’t be a slave to it or any other system. You’ll recognise when you need to get back on track for a while, before wandering off again.

Oh…I think that surgery probably means that you are in need of an emotional support guitar - I’m pretty sure that’s a rule :grinning_face:

2 Likes

Andy, thanks for your post.

The surgery is done. I’m still having headaches, but no brain bleed so I will live to strum another day (finger style is still an issue).

I’m going to have to research the other guitar models. It will be nice not to have the strings buzzing every time I change chords.

As I recuperate, I alternate between watching mindless TV and playing my 3/4 Yamaha APXT2 and Fender Strat. Since I am self-taught and trying to unlearn some bad habits, I am concentrating on a couple of 3-4 chord songs… mostly to get better at smooth and clear chord changes.

Thanks for your support. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes