Please help us choose the right strings

It’s not just about callouses. It’s also about finger strength. Most people develop callouses in about 3 weeks. Finger strength takes a lot longer than that. If you start a weightlifting routine with weights that are too heavy for you, you’ll injure yourself. Ditto heavy strings.

I don’t understand the reluctance of some players to try lighter gauge strings when they are starting out. They cost between $10-20 a set and should be changed regularly anyway. Buy a few different gauges and learn to change them yourself. It’s dead easy.

3 Likes

Another useful thread. I started learning on an entry level, not well set up Yamaha on 12s and struggled for a long time. When I invested in a better quality guitar I switched to D’Addario .011-.052 phosphor bronze and found it much easier to fret and to get clean sound. After about 6 months, I installed 12s and find that my beefed-up calluses, muscle control and improving technique make it easier to play now with 12s, and to my ear that put out more powerful sound.

1 Like

Yes. I’m thinking that is what I need to do. I’m a “senior citizen” with many years of professional experience as a keyboard player. My fingers are very nimble but as “age factors” begin to set in, not nearly what they used to be. I have trouble with certain chords, the dreaded F, CM and Bm to name a few but have no trouble with single notes, barre chords and melodies. Thus the reason thinking of 10s … might help me play chords. But everyone I talk to who owns a Taylor says Taylor’s are made for 12s, so I’m confused. Fingers hurt from too long practice sessions (my bad) and the fact that they’re “building callouses” so I think, maybe 10s … but 12s are the acoustic standard for everyday players (pros of course might go higher), so I’m thinking of trying the D’Addario Silk and Steel 11s instead of the Elixir Phosphor Bronze 11s to see if maybe the feel might change. Or better yet, learn to play what’s on the guitar. :laughing:

+1 on that. Strings are pretty cheap so try a load of different brands/gauges and find out for yourself. Like all things guitar you’ll get as many different opinions here as there are people. :smiley:

1 Like

So true.

I have the same strings you’re using, the Elixir 11s with the nanoweb coating on most of my acoustics & “like” them but I’m not crazy about that particular string… they feel a bit sticky if my hands are perspiring at all while regular non-coated strings don’t… that being said, they last a long time and don’t tear up my fingers…

Just takes time to perfect technique while building those calluses & finding the right balance when the calluses get rough & need gentle filing so your hands aren’t too rough feeling… it’s just Always Something with guitar!!! :crazy_face:

Tod

Guitar strings are like underwear. They all do the same job, but everyone has to find what kind feels best to them.

I strongly suggest 10-47 D’Addario Phosphor Bronze stings. They are inexpensive, sound good (IMHO) and are easy on the fingers.

Amazon Link

1 Like

Leaning in that direction, Eddie. Thanks for the input.

Definitely worth trying, I tried several gauges and just dislike the feel of thinner strings. The higher strings are like razor wire to me. Maybe I am just sensitive that way.

But as said before, you can get 12s with the tension of 11s or 13s with the tension of 12s, you can buy a. Short scale guitar, or you can tune down a half or even whole step. Do what works for you, but you won’t know what does unless you try a lot of things. It is ok to spend a few $$ testing, strings aren’t much and it is worth the experience.

1 Like

Just don’t get the two confused, especially if you are a fan of wearing G-Strings!

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

ROTFL :rofl:

Another good argument for thicker strings!

1 Like

Same here.

I just wanted to chime in into this discussion by saying that I own a Taylor. A Taylor GS Mini specifically, which came with .013-.056 strings by default.
The guitar was playable okisch, but nevertheless after using it for 2 months I decides to go back to the shop and asked them to do a full setup based on .010 - .046 strings, which they did (after some insisting on my side), and this really made a difference in playability. Not only because of the setup but because of the difference of the thickest string size (.56 vs .46). The guitar sound lost a bit of low end, sure, but I really couldn’t care less. I even like the sound more than before, because it’s more balanced in my ears. For the next two years I will stick with this setup.

This is the personal result of my own testing, and I can only agree with what Joshua and others said try things yourself.

Franz

2 Likes

I completely agree with @franzek . I also just bought a Taylor GS Mini and re-strung it with phosphor bronze 10’5. The string tension feels the same as my Les Paul clone with nickel-wound 10’s>

The guitar still sounds awesome, and I can play it for a long time without finger discomfort.

YMMV

2 Likes