Positive Grid Spark

I guess it may make it a bit better. Frankly, I canā€™t be bothered trying to tweak it to fix the inherent issues it has. Iā€™m keeping mine simply because itā€™s handy to have around and I canā€™t be bothered getting rid of it.

If I knew what I know now back in March 2020, I wouldnā€™t have purchased it.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Interesting, cheers!

I should point out I tend to hoard kit. I have a bunch of amps around that I should sell, but havenā€™t because I think I might eventually use them.

The only amps Iā€™ve ever sold were a Line 6 Amplifi TT and a Laney Tommy Iommi 15W Tube amp which I got along with a bunch of other kit from a friend.

I got the Amplifi when I was travelling. In some ways it did many of the things that the Spark promises, but better (Tone Cloud, better editing, etc.). The main issue I had with the Amplifi was the Bluetooth was rubbish, so I part Exchanged it along with a bunch of other kit when I bought my Katana 100.

The Laney was a great amp, but it was taking up a lot of space and it didnā€™t suit any of the sort of music I would normally play so, after holding onto it for a year, I decided I should sell it.

Cheers,

Keith

I held onto my fender pro185 for way too long after I stopped playing, it was never a suitable home amp anyhowā€¦

I had the chance to plug my acoustic amp into a Positive Grid Spark today owned by a friend. I really liked it but was surprised there was no capability to amplify vocals at the same time. Has anyone been able to use another device (like some form of splitter box?) to put acoustic guitar and vocals through the Spark?

IMO itā€™s not the right type of device for that. And, frankly, thatā€™s the same for most guitar amps.

The problem you will have trying to combine the mic and guitar is that you will need a mixer to do that, and the output from a mixer is not really compatible with the guitar input for the amp. Additionally, any effects (including distortion) that you apply to the guitar will colour the vocals as well.

Your best bet if you want to ā€œhackā€ the Spark (or most other guitar amps) to use a microphone with them is to connect a mic via an external mixer into the aux input. But it is a hack and not really ideal.

If you want to amplify vocals as well, and havenā€™t yet bought an amp, you are best to look for an amp which is designed with that in mind. Thereā€™s acoustic amps like the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro and Fishman Loudbox Performer which have a mic channel in addition to the guitar input.

Thereā€™s also the new Vox Mini Go which looks like a pretty awesome amp for the aspiring singer-songwriter.

The only downside (for me) is it doesnā€™t have Bluetooth, although it has an Aux input so you could connect a bluetooth streaming adapter.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

You probably want something like a buskers amp for that. I have a Laney Alfresco which has two channelsā€¦so you can use one for guitar and the other for vocals. There are plenty of other similar options on the market.

Indeed; I use a Roland Street Cube for that. As the name suggests, it is iseal for busking.
I use it at home for clean vocal amplification with some reverb and I already busked with it several times. The overdrive/dist sounds on it are meh but as clean platform with an occasional mild drive pedal in front of it, it works great! Batteries last long as well.

I hav a Positive Grid programmable distortion pedal.
Programmable like a spark amp but only overdrives and distortions.
I donā€™t use it anymore since I have a MOD Devices Dwarf
The dwarf is more fiddly when it comes to creating tones but it does a lot more, it can host midi controllers, patching is a lot more versatile, you can play, record and loop on it, you can assign the buttons to what you want and the company is real and reachable.

1 Like

Ooooh. Iā€™ve been interested in the Mod Devices stuff since I saw Steve Lawson using one at the LBGS.

Apparently some of the devs involved in it are also involved in the development of LVM plugins and Ardour (which makes a lot of sense).

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a high end AER amp that provides 4 channels. I donā€™t use any of the reverb / delay effects, just clean acoustic sound. Was looking for some way to do similar with the Spark. Itā€™s smaller and cheaper. Thanks for the advice.

I have the THR30II model and can also recommend the THR series. Important feature for me is that the volume can be very low and it will still sound nice with either overdriven or distorted tones. This helps a lot with practice at night if you donā€™t want to use headphones.

I never played Spark though, so canā€™t compare to that. Iā€™ve heard lots of good things about it though.

Iā€™ve got the THR10 blues model, itā€™s a great little amp.

I have a Spark and a THR10ii. I think the THR10ii is better.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Found an interesting comparison on youtubeā€¦Spark seems to win outright

1 Like

Not all reviews go the same way, like this one - last 10 mins is the conclusion!

1 Like

In the end I couldnt hear the Spark and its not officially sold here anyhow so went with another product tho quite a bit more its more flexible etc.

The yamaha looks OK but again here it is quite expensive