Power Chords Lesson on JustinGuitar

good to know. My guitar practice time is limited, so I need to hone what I do. Plus, I don’t want to get dispersed at my age, trying to learn everything, especially when I know that I most likely won’t ever use it

1 Like

My approach is very similar, and after a year of Justin Guitar, I think it’s working quite well for me.

Hope you get similar results!

1 Like

Wouldn’t you know… I decide I don’t want to learn power chords because I don’t think I’ll ever use them and I don’t hear them in country music, then today I discover several songs that use them. I go back to the lesson, start to play them, and am now having a blast with them. SIGH! :rofl:

5 Likes

@brozzerb Hi Benedict, too funny, what songs?

“Boys Round Here”, if you want to play it halfway seriously, is one of them… can’t think of the other ones I found yesterday

1 Like

The nice thing that I liked about this lesson is that it made me learn and pratice the notes on the neck of the guitar while having fun (playing songs) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Watching this for the nth time, I’m kinda wondering to myself if power chords weren’t really just invented by rebel teens who were looking for a reason to give the world the finger “legitimately” for hours at a time :astonished:

5 Likes

Power chord practice really helps me build my left-hand strength, which helps when trying to master the F barre chord too!

2 Likes

Loving the course, but this module has certainly brought things to a standstill. I didn’t think power chords would be so difficult :rofl:

I bought my lovely electric guitar to find out that a natural rocker I am not :grimacing:

Onwards and upwards :smiley:

6 Likes

I was wondering how to do power chords on E and A? If the first string is open I can’t use my first finger to mute any of the strings.

1 Like

E Power Chord: Use one finger (usually the index finger) to fret the A string at the 2nd fret and mute the D, G, B, and e strings. (assuming you want a two-note power chord). For a 3-note power chord, fret the A and D strings with your index finger while muting the G, B and e strings.

A Power Chord - Index finger frets E string at the 5th fret, ring finger frets the A string at 7th fret. Index finger mutes the D, G, B and e strings. For a 3-note power chord, also fret the D string at the 7th fret with your pinky.

There are other variations, but this is what I would do.

3 Likes

Hi,
I also feel that power chords are not that simple as they seem - either I try it in the 3 finger version that Justin showed, then the fifth is not always ringing. Trying it in the 2 finger version as people here do (either using ring finger or pinky for the 5th/octave) then the octave not always sounds good or when using too much pressure, the higher strings also ring… (especially the G-String). So, not so easy… :wink:

3 Likes

@BlackPhoton
The answer that @Fast-Eddie has given - is that what you needed? Your question was a little unclear.
Cheers :slight_smile:

Oh yeah thanks! That was what I was asking for.

1 Like

Does anyone know where I might find a decent chart showing power chords please? I’ve had a look on the Internet but they are a bit rubbish.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Learn the notes on the E and A string and you’ll know all the most common power chords. Once you learn the notes you’ll also know all the E and A shaped barre chords.

7 Likes

Thanks Rick. As easy as that. :slight_smile: Thankfully I know them there note.

1 Like

Does anyone have any tips on hand cramping when playing power chords? I don’t really get that playing barre chords. Is it just a tension thing and I need to relax more?

Dave

1 Like

Is this in your strumming hand? I have just posted about my right forearm aching playing power chords whilst palm muting.

1 Like

I’m guessing here. Perhaps you are changing the angle of your wrist when you adjust finger 1 to mute but not fret the other strings? I had to play around with this for bit and have less strain/aches than I did initially, but that could just be “time in the saddle”.

1 Like