Power Chords Lesson on JustinGuitar

I have finally got an electric guitar and i have finished the module

3 Likes

Just getting into this lesson and practicing my power chords. Seems to make my wrist, forearm, and back of the hand sore after iā€™m done and relax them all. what am I doing wrong or is it just discomfort that goes away as you play more and get used to these chords?

1 Like

Hi Adam,

I had similar issues for a long time with power chords. I still do sometimes. I think itā€™s a little bit that you arenā€™t used to using those muscles and the soreness will mostly go away. But you may just be pressing down too hard like I was. Try and out as little pressure as you need while also being able to ring out the notes.

Another thing I did which helped but not sure if this is proper technique is instead of squeezing or pinching my fingers to put pressure on the fretboard I started lightly pulling without using my thumb too much.

Iā€™d spend some practice time just experimenting.

Alex

2 Likes

Trying to wrap my head around thisā€¦

Iā€™m working on power chords and Iā€™m getting some wrist pain. So after some observation, I realized the wrist pain is coming from my pushing with my thumb up against the back of the neck. As a result i tend to bend my wristā€¦ I guess Iā€™m using my thumb to help with hand placement accuracy? If I rest my thumb length wise along the neck facing towrads the headstock, I feel like the neck floatsā€¦ Just wondering what the proper hand placement should be? Sorry about the blurry picture. Itā€™s early. :smiley:

1 Like

All of us are different anatomically speaking, but at a first glance without having my guitar near I would say your thumb needs to descend a bit towards D string, you need to find a right balance to lower your thumb, decrease tension in your wrist but still being able to press the strings high enough. I sort of push the neck using part closer to the nail leaning towards the middle of my thumb rather than centrally pushing it with the thumb (if that makes any sense).

All I am trying to say is try to keep an angle but lower the thumb.

2 Likes

Try taking your watch off, that might help.

What kind of wrist pain? There will be some fatigue type pain as you learn this and build the muscles.

1 Like

I am a beginner but that hand placement looks very uncomfortable to me.

My wrist is straight. My thumb mutes the 6th string when playing power cords off the 5th string. No pain in wrist at all. I have actually been practicing 2-finger power cords ever since July (I started in June) so I am quite comfy with those, but started this module last weekend so new to 3-finger power cords.

My issue is keeping the 3rd and 4th finger close together when moving quickly between cords, like C and D. They kinda tend to part ways :slight_smile:

Cheers,
St

1 Like

Iā€™ve just checked my hand position and it isnā€™t significantly different to yoursā€¦I am guessing that the difference is Iā€™ve been playing power chords for a long time and Iā€™m not trying to press those strings too hard. The wrist pain probably comes from squeezing the guitar neck too hard in order to try and get a nice clean chord. Try to relax more and focus on positioning of the fingers.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting similar problems. Mostly it seems like just fatigue in the wrist if I hold the chord shape (practicing 5-10 minutes, I need to take frequent breaks!) I assume that will get better as my wrist gets stronger. But I also get an ache in my shoulder - I feel like that may be to do with the way Iā€™m holding the guitar, but I never get similar pain with normal chords, or even with barre F.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Well, itā€™s been a few weeks since I originally posted this, and yes it was a muscle building issue. Where before my wrist would ache 3-5 minutes into playing, that time has increased substantially to 15-20 minutes or.

Removing my watch helped in the short term, but eventually Iā€™ve built enough strength that the watch doesnā€™t influence. Still building strength and yes, even my F barre chord didnā€™t make my wrist or hand hurt like this did.

3 Likes

Up until now Iā€™ve played my power chords with three fingers. The root, fifth, and octave. It seemed to be the right way to do them, and most of the power chord songs I was playing do them that way. Green Day, etc.

Now Iā€™m learning some Metallica and I noticed that the tabs and lessons have two finger power chords - root and fifth, without the octave.

Itā€™s not too hard to play them that way - but why? Why donā€™t they play 3 finger? Is it common for metal to do two finger?

1 Like

When you have the distortion cranked there really is no difference in sound and you can also play what you call three finger power chords with two fingers. Just barre the 5th and Root with your ring finger. Thatā€™s usually what metal player are doing not just playing the E and A strings. It also makes it easier to use your pinky for embellishments. I played in band for over 10 years and Justin was the first person I ever saw play power chords with 3 fingers. Everyone I know plays 3 note power chords with two fingers. Same with A shaped barre Chords.

3 Likes

Spanner in the works time.

You could always play an inverted power chord and just play the 5th and octave, with a simple 1 finger bar across 2 strings (eg A5 - A & D string 7th fret), let the Bass player keep the Root. :rofl:
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hey stitch, yeah Iā€™ve done the ring finger barre before and played three strings, however was more talking about stuff like this with 2 strings (from enter sandman):

Watching a lot of videos, I see all the guitar teachers playing enter sandman with just E and A strings for those riffs. So 2 notes with 2 fingers.

Is the song ā€œwrongā€ if I play 3 strings? Does it sound better with just two?

Iā€™m not ready for an inverted power chord my brain will explode :exploding_head: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, I play the two finger bar version. I learned that way and I see no reason to change. However, if youā€™re learning this now, the three finger power chord will probably help you learn to slide those fingers together which comes in handy on Barre chords.

3 Likes

@jkahn in a riff like that Iā€™d say theyā€™re more like double stops than power chords. If you notice the first and last chords (E) are 3 notes.

2 Likes

Hey JK, Iā€™ve thought about this a lot too, but have always pretty much stuck with just playing the root & 5th/two-finger power chord and excluded the octave i.e. I donā€™t barre that, typically I mute it with my ring finger.
I am not really qualified to give an educated reason why anyone should choose either option, however, for me, I just found the two finger option wasā€¦
a) Easier to play
b) Faster to move around
c) Indicated in almost all the tabs I was using
d) And most importantly, sounded better with lots of distortion (imo)
Also, in most things I have read and power chord tutorials I have watched, everyone essentially says it doesnā€™t matter which (except in specific instances) so I decided to go with what was easiest/sounded best for me :joy:
Just my (highly uneducated!) view, hope that is of some help! :face_with_peeking_eye::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Play a 2-string 2-finger 2-note power chord with a lot of volume and a good dose of overdrive / distortion and you will be smiling at the POWER of your power chord.

:sunglasses:

3rd note not needed.

6 Likes

I agree with Richard here AND I have a perfect example for you JK which I hope you will enjoy.

First listen to RHCP song called Readymade from SA album, specifically chorus. Then pick your guitar, dial in distortion. Play using first 2 notes power chord and then 3 finger one. Compare those both and see which one you like more. And there is your answer :wink: overall again all up to personal taste, I prefer to play 2 notes one although when I played Black Betty it sounded better as 3 notes one.

3 Likes

One reason to use 3 fingers for a 3-string power chord instead of barring is that it makes it easier to use power chord extensions, like the Flat 5 Power chord, or the Augmented Power Chord.

Add variety in your rock playing with Augmented power chords | JS MUSIC SCHOOL.

Cheers

Keith

2 Likes