Questions on electric guitars from a beginner

In my opinion, that “X makes my heart beat faster” factor is important. Don’t dismiss it. Ideally, you want a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it, for whatever reason. It doesn’t need to be a completely quantifiable and rational reason. It could be anything: you like the color or the way it looks, you like that it was owned by a relative, you like that it says “Fender”, or whatever.

There are a lot of less expensive guitars that are quality instruments, and will cost less than a Fender. But if you really like Fenders, I think you should seriously consider getting a Fender. My advice is to look for used Fenders made in Mexico. They’re good instruments. New they’re priced higher than the Squires and less than a U.S. Fender. A used one should be cheaper than new, of course, but you still might need to save up (especially if you want to buy an amp at the same time).

With that said, there’s nothing wrong with starting on something that doesn’t say “Fender,” and getting a Fender later. That’s especially true if you’re really limited by your budget and aren’t sure when you might be able to afford the Fender (i.e., you can’t really save up in a reasonable amount of time). It’s probably better to get started than to wait, in that situation. If you’re considering that, take a good look at the Squire “classic vibe” guitars.

Ultimately, it’s up to you. Just keep in mind the advice to “get a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play it.” That kind of qualitative factor is often more important than it might seem.

3 Likes

Haha, you’re definitely spot on.

Let me tell you the whole story of how I got my acoustic guitar: A friend of mine was stationed in Estonia, got bored and bought a Fender CD-60S - despite already owning another acoustic guitar (which she had left at home). Fast forward to the following winter. My friend had by now fallen in love with piano and frequently had lessons and both her guitars stood there, unused. I wasn’t feeling good and she kept saying that music would help me. I kept repeating that I don’t own any instruments (okay, a Kalimba, but I mostly use that for meditation). She then said: Well, I’ve got two guitars, which one do you want?

I have no idea what the other one was, but as soon as I heard “Fender”, I was in love. Never played the guitar, only heard it through a shaky phone call (and it wasn’t in tune at that time), but I loved it.

So… yes, I’ll definitely keep all those other guitars in mind and I will try them out (if the store has them), but I think you’re quite right. The name might be the thing that will make me take it off the wall. Funnily enough, the name Squire would do that as well. It probably makes me seem quite superficial that the name does something like this :see_no_evil:

Question time: You said that Fenders made in Mexico are good - but how do I find out if it’s made in Mexico or in the States? The store close to me (Zoundhouse in Dresden, if you want to look it up) got quite a nice selection and second hand guitars as well - I’m just not sure if they know just which factory (used) guitars come out of…

1 Like

Hi Estel,
Fender replaces Standard Series with Player Series
Many new Mexican guitar and bass models.
Brand news 19-06-2018
The Standard series, built in Mexico, has been Fender’s entry-level series for many years and is therefore extremely popular. After all, it is the most affordable option with the Fender logo on the head. These Standards are immediately replaced by the Players, which stand out with a pao ferro key and a lot of choice in colors.
I copied this from ‘musicmaker’
Greetings…

1 Like

In the case of electric guitars, you will find a sticker on the back roughly where the neck meets the headstock stating where the instrument was made.

In the case of acoustic guitars and (semi-)hollow-body electric guitars, there’s a label within the body, visible through the soundhole.

1 Like

It will say made in Mexico on the head stock and the serial number will begin with the letter M.

1 Like

Now I want to know what acoustic guitar you declined!

1 Like

Given where you are, this could be a good choice, Ibanez have a very good name and make good quality guitars at all levels!

Alternatively, not as good but OK

For an amplifier I would most likely choose something like this

Or maybe this

Going the other route

Or if you could stretch your budget a bit

1 Like

Sorry for the delay :slight_smile: I asked her and this is it: Baton Rouge 112100 AR11S /D western guitar.

I have no idea if it would’ve been better or not and now, honestly, it can’t be. Because my guitar is my guitar, you know? :wink:

But what do you say?

@roger_holland Thanks! That helps clear it up a bit. Still, I guess, I’ll have to “take what I can get” once I can afford an electric guitar. I’ll try to trust my ears and hands - and hopefully it doesn’t get too expensive…

@DarrellW Thanks for the links! That sends me once again down the rabbit hole of researching gear - what a lovely place to be in :wink:

I have never heard of the Baton Rouge guitar. But it is an moderately inexpensive model sold on Amazon with a quick search. It is probably a fine entry level instrument. Many of those can be just fine if the set up is ok.

I think you probably made a good choice. You felt a bond and that is the most important thing, regardless of why!

1 Like