Radek’s Learning Log

Thanks Toby, it is good to be back.

1 Like

Epic story, thoroughly enjoyed along with your playing! Glad you’re ‘back’ I look forward to future updates

1 Like

Thanks Tom, I’ll do my best :slight_smile:.

Welcome back Radek :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Radek. Thank you for sharing your story. Good that your exploration with gear and genres has allowed you to find how to express your musical self.

1 Like

Yesterday I was restringing my acoustic when our house cat showed up. He had a great interest in all kinds of strings to the point of running away with one of them in his mouth.

4 Likes

A small update on the repertoire (all fingerstyle acoustic).

Songs that I know and work on

“Believe” - Witcher Soundtrack
“Lullaby of Woe” - Witcher Soundtrack
“Wolven Storm” - Witcher Soundtrack
“Lady Greensleeves” - Traditional
“Catherine Howard’s Fate” - Blackmoore’s Night
“Rohan Theme” - The Lord of the Rings Soundtrack
“Sinking Ships” - Trees of Eternity
“Celebrity” - IU
“Stay” - Blackpink
“Way Back Home” - Shaun

Songs that I’m currently learning

“The Ordinary Road” - Pu Shu
“Learn How to Meow” - Xiao Feng Feng
“The Misty Mountains Cold” - The Hobbit Soundtrack
“Davy Jones” - The Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack
“Spanish Romance” - Fernando Sor

3 Likes

New guitar: Lakewood M-35 CP

I was struggling with Takamine for quite some time. Over the 1,5 of quite heavy daily use it developed a problem of cables falling out of the sockets every other week. Putting it back even with loosened strings is difficult. 44 mm nut width was also difficult to manage fingerstyle. I was on the lookout for quite some time and finally settled with German made Lakewood M-35 CP.

The difference in quality of finish and the sound is dramatic, pieces I was struggling with got more clear, clarity and tone sounds amazing. Action is fantastic, this guitar was design for solo fingerstyle players and it really shows. I tend to play in loop my favourite parts just to listen to the sound of this guitar over and over. The nut with is 46 mm which really helps when approaching contemporary fingerstyle songs or classical pieces.

Lakewood came equipped with L. R. Baggs Anthem pickup. I don’t have much experience with the pickups but after test recordings I can say I’m very happy with it, the sound is warm and full, low end is slightly exaugurated but it can be adjusted in editing.

1 Like

Happy NGD Radek, that looks very nice.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Radek. Happy NGD! I’m glad to hear you’re happy with the sound of it.

1 Like

Hi Radek,
Happy NGD :partying_face: :sunglasses:
Looks very nice ,and as far as i can see beautifully finished,…
I wish you a lot of time with this beauty…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks Toby!

Hi Andrés, thank you!
Yes, I’m very happy with the tone and the clarity of this brand and model :).

Thanks Rogier, it is indeed very clean guitar and expertly crafted. I consider myself lucky, Lakewood makes only about 1500 guitars per year, managed to get the last instrument from the store.

2 Likes

Enjoy, Radek, look forward to hearing you over on AVOYP playing your new instrument.

1 Like

Thanks David. For sure, I have already something on my mind, just need to organise myself :).

1 Like

I used to thought that capos are sort of indestructible items. But if you practice hard enough this can be proved otherwise. Customer service at 7th Capo was great, Performance 3 new capo is already on the way, meanwhile I’m using Newport model (also 7th Capo), very much stronger device despite it’s stealthy look.

1 Like

Hi Again,…
What the heck did you do with that thing :flushed: :speak_no_evil: :flushed:,… :laughing:,… I have the same one here, nice to read that they have such a good service, :sunglasses:…things can and may break,… .being delivered too late etcetera,…but how a company (or person) deals with its mistakes, that’s what I judge it on,…
Greetings,…

Nothing out of ordinary, I was surprised myself. At first I noticed that sound feels muted, I pressed the capo and with quiet sound it gave up and I ended up with two pieces of it. Customer service is great, one could only wish people where this friendly and quick elsewhere.

Just from looking at the place where it broke, it looks like typical metal fatigue, perhaps there were some air bubbles in the alloy. Other thing is that this little piece of metal where both parts meet is fairly thin.

1 Like

Not long picked one up, so I hope the blacks ones are stronger :rofl:
Good to know a replacement was offered. Really surprised at that picture, as I was so impressed by how solid my one feels.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

If there is any knowledge from this experience, always have a spare capo :).

1 Like

I always wanted to play something “seasonal” that would be ready in time for the holiday. I could go with something that everyone know or something more personal that I remember from my childhood. I went with the second, “Lulajże Jezuniu” (“Hush Little Jesus” in Polish) is a carol we had to learn in the elementary school in order to pass. We’ve been playing this piece on simple flutes in the group of about 30 kids and I have no idea how our music teacher managed to organise us that we finally played it in harmony all together.

The piece itself is early XVIII c. composition. Frédéric Chopin took interest in it and it appeared as a fragment in his scherzo no. 1 h-moll op.20. Historically it was one of the favourite songs of the Polish resistance movement reminding about home that was lost.

It was challenging to record again after so many months of silence. I never stopped practicing but my professional life was not in favour of being motivated and confident to try. I already published this song in AVYOP but adding at here for the record with some little back story.

2 Likes