Re-Active Listening ™ Lesson on JustinGuitar

I can hear the difference but as I have just noted to Toby to my (plastic) ears (that don’t have a full frequency range) they don’t sound that bad.

Tried that thanks. Must say that the C chord on the machine sounds different to what I play.

You never know.

Thanks for you help this which is appreciated, although I may just have to concede that my ears are not up to the job!

@Stuartw
Hey Stuart, don’t give up on it!
You’ve said to Toby and you’ve said to me that you can hear a slight difference.
I know that you have hearing problems and that you use hearing aids but I’ve also read somewhere (can’t remember where) that physical hearing ability and ‘musical ear’ are different things. I can’t go any further into that because I don’t know about it.

Developing your musical ear is about working on the difference that you can already hear. As you develop and fine tune your ear that difference will seem greater and more distinct.

Maybe look again at interval ear training. Justin’s first two intervals are the 4th and 5th
Compare the two intervals, playing them from the same root. I’m sure you will hear the difference. It may take quite some time but if you keep playing and listening the difference will become more distinct.

1 Like

This was very helpful and good fun.
It would be nice to have some more like this

1 Like

Just went through this lesson and thought it was a fantastic exercise :slight_smile:

As someone said already, it almost felt like an in-person lesson with Justin, in a way that other lessons did not.

One funny thing, on the very first exercises, while Justin was not hiding the chord, I was having a bit of a hard time hearing how the notes felt with the chord due to paying too being distracted by Justin’s ongoing commentary on “hear how does it sound … does it resolve or is it tense? etc…” Maybe this was intentional, because it is actually a good exercise to be able to focus on the sound of the chord and abstract everything else around, but it was still hard, LOL.

On the actual exercises where the chord was hidden, I got them all right, although two of them I had to pause before the “answer” and play one additional time to be sure.

Incidentally, this exercise is not too different from this other one I saw a while ago, which explains a technique to learn the key of a song by ear - and which I though would be hard, but turns out it’s actually quite approachable even by beginners: How To Figure Out The KEY Of A Song by EAR On Guitar | GUITAR EAR TRAINING - YouTube

1 Like

This exercise is really great fun!
It would be nice to have some chord loops (slow with chord changes after a while).
This would allow to practice and as well experiment with walks to the final note.
I fear, a human jam partner gets bored after a while just playing the chords.

Check YouTube…there are all kinds of jam tracks there.

Though I agree - it would be better if Justin provided one that was specifically made for this lesson.

Pf… i only got two notes right and it was by guessing. Every time i actually try to listen and get the notes right i got them wrong and by a lot.

I just dont have a good ear, so this kind of exercise are basically like trying to teach a dog how to talk.

More likely is that you have not developed some more fundamental skill, like pitch recognition.

Can you hear a single note, and then sing or whistle the same note back?

I dont think so.

Based on this video i had already failed by the third question (identify pitches that are very close together).

On top of my lack of pitch recognition you can also add the annoying tinnitus in my ears that just makes everything buzz, lol.

So yeah, in my personal opinion this is just a waste of time for someone like me. I went into the guitar knowing and accepting full well that i wont be able to play anything by ear and that any song i learn is gonna be based on tabs.

Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

1 Like

Hi Medu @Medusaurio,
Don’t despair, I think this is a matter of practice. If you have time, consider working through Justin’s Ear Training course. He suggests spending just 10 minutes per day. I started this just a couple of weeks ago. I’m in the second lesson of Grade 1, and already notice a lot of improvement. It’s even helping me sing in tune - something I thought I just couldn’t do.

1 Like

This is not a pitch matching exercise…I’m not sure what it is.

And guess what…I failed it too! So I guess I don’t have a “musical ear” either. Guess I was born that way, and should just give up.

But in spite of this handicap, just yesterday I was able to figure out two riffs by ear in a few minutes. That’s something I certainly couldn’t do 3 years ago when I started Justin’s course.

And if I can learn how to do it, maybe…just maybe…you can too.

But you seem really invested in the belief that this is impossible for you, so who am I to argue?

1 Like

Medu @Medusaurio
Interesting and bizarre.
Got only the first question right and nearly gave up but kept going, when it got onto the scale part I did pretty well.
I think the conclusion is that I am not very good at remembering notes and intervals, but give me a scale and I know what the sequence of notes should sound like.
Michael :notes:

1 Like

@MAT1953 , you said " I know what the sequence of notes should sound like."
This shows that you CAN do it. I was the very same (I’m no great expert now but I’m a lot better than i used to be). It’s just practice, nothing more. Keep the faith, you got this.

2 Likes

by playing the notes, do you mean like playing the notes the way shown by justin of trying the notes in the 1st or 2nd string and finding the note that suits best with the chord or we should play all the notes of the chord after playing the chord? I don’t really have someone to do this exercise with and found your option helpful.