Requesting expert suggestions for my first guitar purchase

I am looking for an acoustic.

Thank you Richard. I am trying to find the best deal on materials and build quality (I guess everyone is) I am looking for solid wood for sure.

This is reminding me of how music is almost magical and that I apparently need to get myself over to Diagon Alley to figure out the right wand for me.

I have an Inspired by Gibson Epiphone Hummingbird I got last year and I love it. Andertons did a Epiphone IBG vs Gibson shootout on YouTube where they compared both brands with Hummingbird, J-45 and J-200 and they were very similar to the Gibsons. Especially the Hummingbird. There was very little in it. I’ve not played the Gibson myself though. I also have a Yamaha LL16 which is ridiculously great bang for buck and about the same $$ as the Epiphone Hummingbird. Billy Corgan can play anything he wants but chooses an LL16.

1 Like

Hi Richard, few months ago I bought a Taylor c210 (https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/210ce) which is about 1000$us. I bought it used in perfect condition for 675$us. :heart_eyes:LOVE IT :heart_eyes: But to me the master word is try them and go with your taste and your ear. Have fun. Guitar hunt season is fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :upside_down_face: :grinning: :sunglasses: :sweat_smile: :partying_face: :champagne:

1 Like

Note that the Yamaha Red Label guitars that I mentioned up-thread are all solid-wood (not just the top, but the back and sides, too). It’s one of the nice things about them at their price point.

1 Like

If you’re going to go to a store and have a look around then you might also take a look at Breedlove guitars, they’re really nice and not too expensive. Also brand to look for are Furch, Lag and Cort - at your price none of the brands I’ve mentioned would disappoint!

1 Like

Yes, Yamaha and if it is built i Japan is very god value for money but also Takamine. Solid wood is the best for the sound but, especially in dry Texas you need a humidifier and to take care. Go and try as many as possible and you will hear and feel the difference! Another aspect is 12 oc 14 frets wich will effect playability - ask at the store ! ( My daugher is on Takamine but I have two Taylors builders editon - after winning the lottery. I have also played Cort and Samick and som others.) Good luck and you will surely learn a lot from testing different guitars.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this advice. After a lot of good advice given here, I understand better now that each individual guitar has a unique sound and that it is difficult to even compare two of the same models at times. I need to try and find some time to sit and play a good variety a few stores. Sounds fun to me! :smile:

FWIW, “dry” is typically not a problem around Houston… :slight_smile: (DFW might be a bit drier, but nothing like west Texas.)

1 Like

I ran across another guitar line I think is good value for money: the Alvarez Masterworks line. All solid wood, great instruments, beautiful finishes, reasonably priced for the quality of the guitars. I was playing a MPA66ESHB and it feels and sounds excellent. I like the neck carve, too.

Tha k you for that siggestion. I actually have an older Alvarez that I am regularly playing and the more that I play it, the more that I love it. I just wish that it had a deeper voice.