Rmking60 - March 2023 - Can't Find My Way Home (Steve Winwood) + Eli's Coming (Laura Nyro) + So Damn Lucky (Dave Matthews)

sounds and looks good. A nice chord mix with some variation and accents in the strumming with a little melody thrown in. It was musical. As noted, anchoring on the g&d notes is a great pivot.

One unsolicited suggestion I will offer is when playing some melody notes, consider playing over a root note of the chord of the moment, or switch from an anchor grip to a 3 finger grip to free up your fingers for melody while staying on the chord. Actually, just playing 2 notes of the chord and 2 fingers available for melody is even better at times as the moment wants. Root and 3rd usually ….

cheers

2 Likes

Unless my ears deceived me, the OP played G major pentatonic over a G major chord which is entirely correct. Well done.

2 Likes

nothing uncorrect was stated. Nudging toward chord tone targeting.

1 Like

Well obvs but the OP is clearly not at that stage yet…

1 Like

thats what helpful suggestions and kind critique are for…. learning.

1 Like

A really interesting and useful exercise in what can be achieved using just one chord. Well done Robert.

1 Like

Yes, and respectfully I believe what makes the whole thing work so well is its actually 3 chords. G, G/c and G/d. A I IV V in G major.

2 Likes

@bblak Just like in this lesson. I’m also finding the 4 finger G tough:

2 Likes

Though I don’t understand this (yet!) I’m bookmarking to come back to when my practice/theory catch up. Currently I’m also stuck on grips for the stuck 3 & 4 chords. I’d started trying noodle over what sounds good over/around them. There’s a feeling of being stood around the corner from an enormous world of theory that is going to open pandoras box.

2 Likes

enjoy the journey !

If you play the same scale coming down from the G on the third fret high E 1st string but in the relative E minor pentatonic you get the riff from Shakin All Over. Try it.

I don’t understand the words but just picked up my guitar and tried to play what I could hear from the riff, so think I get it. They play notes from holding the G chord, and are then playing notes from the Em that compliment it?

This was my attempt at the weekend of playing on a looper with the stuck 3 & 4 chords. It was a mixture of Big G, Em7 and C add9. I don’t understand scales yet and how to mix them between playing chords. Watching @Rmking60 and hearing The Who is helping a little though. Hearing different examples around the same thing reinforces something - don’t have the words yet for what. But something. Stream Loop6_Em7 by Blue To Golden | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

2 Likes

Sounded cool to me Robert!

1 Like

It sounded good to me as well Robert. :+1:

1 Like

Wow! It sounds really good!!!

1 Like

Hi Sound! Yes the open G grip is just difficult for me. I originally learned a cheater G chord: thumb on the low 3rd fret at G, plus muting the A string, and adding index finger at G position, 3rd fret, on the high e string. I can go there instantly, but the other open Gs are always a challenge. FOGHAT Going to the City is an expeience in E. And A from U2 includes Running to Stand Still and the song So Cruel. I really enjoyed alternate A chords when learning about So Cruel. Cheers! - R

Hi Roger! Yes you are correct. But I’d like to know about the gear vs good music ratio. I have low to average rated gear and always wonder If I should investigate better equipment. On my side, my video presents my difficulty in playing the basic open G chord. Many newbie players can play G without thinking. For me it’s a challenge. So anyway, what can I gain with technically better equipment? Note that I recorded my vid using my cell phone and an 1986 Korea made laminate guitar, one take. Roger, what is the next level up, in terms of gear, for me?!?

1 Like

bblak, i need to sit down with you and rorystrat. Thanks for investigating my playing and giving up some knowledge. I learn from you!

1 Like

rorystrat, I need to sit down with you and bblak. Thanks for investigating my playing and giving up some knowledge. I learn from you!

1 Like