Rolling Chords to Spice Up Your Fingerstyle Lesson on JustinGuitar

My trouble was getting moderately consistent timing and moving fingers in an order opposite to my inclination. See if this helps:

• place fingers on their associated string
  • one by one, do a light pickoff without scooting the others much
  • pick “upward”, like curling the finger just enough to get it to make sound where “upward” is generally toward your palm. This way the fingers are getting out of the way of the next string.

If you can manage that, then you are on your way. For the timing, I practiced by strumming my fingers on the desk or on my knee. I have been able to do it pinky to index since I can remember, but the roll required the other direction. Once I got that kinda working, the roll started to happen on the guitar. At that point I was still moving my wrist too much, so I did the individual pickoff until I had better control of the fingers. I practiced the first few bars of a song I like for weeks. I decided it needed a roll about every 2 bars and I like the way it sounds.

1 Like

Stuart, I can assure you, you don’t need fingernails for this technique! My nails are rather short and I had to get used to do the roll with the fleshy part of my fingers. It took a while, but like everything else, it improved with time. I had my troubles last sommer with picking in general, as my fingertips are never in the same condition, due to watersports. Meanwhile, it’s not so much of a problem anymore. I tried fingerpicks for normal picking, but I don’t like them at all. Lots of helpful advice from @sequences !

This gets me excited because I LOVE FINGER PICKING, but want to add a little pizzaz to it!
I’m also working on Strumming SOS, Grade 2 to TRY to get better at strumming. I’m a much better guitar picker which isn’t to say that I have that mastered either!