Saturday afternoon rock n roll

Indeed I did linked below @DavidP , been starting to revisit it in the last few days!

https://youtu.be/TkSU3jeMsYc

1 Like

Great 12-bars blues backing track youā€™ve created for yourself. I imagine youā€™ll get a lot of practice in practicing to yourself. Thanks for sharing that. It was great!

1 Like

Hey Davidā€¦that sounded so very cool!!! I canā€™t give technical feedback as Iā€™m not into electric guitar and I wouldnā€™t know where to start from in video making, putting together all the layers. Amazing job :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Yeah baby, David & the Ps are in town!! :slight_smile:

What a terrific dayā€™s project for you, you must have enjoyed putting all of that together. All members of the band looked and felt right in the pocket, and some lovely solo loodling. Enjoyed that alot, cracking lead tone youā€™ve got dialled in there too.
:clap:

1 Like

@Socio
James, I have shared the suggestion with my fellow Mods after Mark confirmed your recollection.

@twistor59
Thanks Phil. Keep it simple, follow the chord changes, stay in time ā€¦ often easier said than done but if you can tick these off then you begin to sound OK. And Iā€™d consider this perhaps my best effort.

@Digger72
Thanks Digger (still canā€™t come to terms with calling you Stephen, just to many years have gone by), much appreciated.

:rofl:, at least I have something signature, albeit a hat :grin:

Actually with the right tools, and turns out Reaper does just fine, syncing the video and the audio is not too bad. Trick is to ensure that you have matching audio or something to sync to, like the opening drum hits.

@TheCluelessLuthier
Thanks Mark, glad you enjoyed it.

Biggest advantage of OBS, in this case, may be the ability to pick different audio sources. Iā€™d assume the Windows Camera app would be fed by the webcam, both video and audio, whereas I can configure my sources in OBS. But I may be wrong and perhaps you could still select a different Audio Input device in Sound Settings? Iā€™ve not tried using Windows Camera or any other Camera App.

You can do other things in OBS, such as include multiple audio sources and cameras plus screen capture into a video. For example once I shot a video with an inset of a closeup of the guitar. That was straight forward to achieve in OBS in realtime. Though now I know I could achieve the same thing in Reaper all in post processing.

So many different ways to skin the cat.

@Notter
Thanks Mark, David and the Three Ps. It was indeed a ton of fun and glad you enjoyed it.

As I said to James, Iā€™ve made the suggestion about the GC Topic and shall wait on my fellow Mods for their thoughts.

@Endureth
Thanks John. Glad you enjoyed it.

My first time actually playing and recording the bass part. I confess I thought about you as our rocking bass player when I did that, that you might appreciate a humble first attempt, however simple it may be.

More respect to you, not easy to to play even that simple pattern cleanly and in time. Let along all the galloping lines you play.

@SILVIA
Thanks Silvia. Glad you enjoyed it.

I really enjoy that sort of thing and have been dabbling in recording and then video production over the last few years ā€¦ no doubt at the cost of improving my playing. But hey ho, itā€™s all good fun!

And much like the playing, once one starts, begins to learn and practice, it is amazing what one can eventually achieve.

3 Likes

Apologies if Iā€™m regurgitating what others have said, but I havenā€™t read the already extensive comment section. Iā€™ll keep it short so:

The Good:
First and foremost, I love to see folk stepping out of their comfort zones and trying something new.
This has it in spades :smiley:
Down the video-editing rabbit hole we goā€¦
How many Davids does it take to beat the blues? Well, it looks like four is better than one :wink:
I had forgotten you had jilted your blue beast for a golden PRS. Looks and sounds sweet.
I donā€™t think I have ever seen you playing bass before, so vibes for that as well.

The Bad:
Misnomer city.
This is still bluestown for me, not rockā€™nā€™roll

The Ugly:
Yes, I know you specifically requested none, but I hate following guidelines, so shall simply state that I have still not shaved and need a haircutā€¦ not at all a pretty sight :crazy_face:

Good to see you still have time to dedicate to your own learning, man :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice job David and I enjoyed that. Takes quite a bit of work to put it all together. The only thing Iā€™m missing is some ā€œfatnessā€ somewhereā€¦maybe on the lead tone in particular. Obviously you were pushing the PRS specifically but I reckon it would sound better with a couple of contrasting guitars. Nice job on the bass as well.

David, I honestly think this is part of the game and I think it as a positive aspect of the journey! I love myself to indulge making videos with a pictures collection (photos that I took myself) and my guitar playing as a soundtrack, nothing compared to this ā€¦I donā€™t know about you, but it is for me just a way to divert my thoughts and stay guitar passionate (as the line to guitar obsessed can be very thin, for me at least) :blush:

Great to have your own band now! Enjoyed that very much, you are coming on leaps and bounds with your playing.

@brianlarsen
Thanks Brian. No apologies needed, no need to keep it short.

Yup, the blue beast was sold off for the golden girl ā€¦ nah, a name for the Santana Yellow PRS.

You are right, my first time trying to record something on the bass. Even a simple patter is harder than I imagined to play, which I know says more about me than the inherent difficulty in playing the bass.

I suppose it is more in the blues-rock genre than rock n roll though still not nearly as bluesy as Iā€™d like it to sound ā€¦ chasing a more pure blues noodle.

Like many, I still devote more time to playing and fun, than the learning :grin:.

@Rossco01
Thanks Jason. I did consider adding a layer with my acoustic. I now have only the PRS so have to resort to different amps and pedals in the DAW to create the textures.

I guess from a fatness perspective, I could have duplicated and played with different amps etc on the same lead part. Could also have double-tracked the power chords.

Bass sure was an adventure.

@SILVIA
I hear you, Silvia. Putting together a slideshow with pictures and adding some recorded guitar is fun. If you have a PC/laptop, even a tablet, learning how to produce this is not too bad, if you have some computer literacy. Happy to help you with that if youā€™d like to give it a go.

@skinnyt
Thanks Trevor. Appreciate the positive, encouraging comment

Once one gets into using a DAW a whole world of creativity opens up. Iā€™ve produced a number of multi-tracks using MIDI and digital instruments. Just need a little musical theory and one can have loads of fun.

This was the first time when I decided to try and play the bass rather than composing the bass part and playing it in the DAW with a digital instrument.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to agree with @Rossco01 on this. Maybe something as simple as just rolling off the tone on your lead guitar a little bit would help. Tone is very subjective and it takes time, trial and error to dial it in.

1 Like

This was super cool. The bass line was groovy, i really enjoyed this slow blues vibe.
Impressive as well that you created all this by yourself.

1 Like

@CT

Thanks Clint. And the subjective nature plus the complex interaction of many factors does make tone-shaping one of the most challenging things to work on. And the adjectives also make it difficult.

That is where I think referencing and trying to replicate original lead tones can be helpful as one learns more about the art and science of tone.

Listening again, I hear you that rolling off the tone knob would have have taken some of the brightness, sharpness of the notes played on the B and e strings, warmed/darkened it up a little, which I think would likely have sounded better.

@lilnamida
Thanks, Alessandro. Glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the encouragement.

Now there is a man enjoying his music!

Excellent playing David, what a great groove you had going on. I really enjoyed it.

Hey! Have you got a new guitar? :smiley: :wink:

1 Like

@SgtColon Thanks Stefan, glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the encouraging comments.

No knew guitars as I donā€™t consider the PRS to be new anymore, unless of course this is the first time youā€™ve seen it.

If not the PRS then maybe you spotted something on the wall? None of those are new, some are mine, some my wifeā€™s. The bass is actually my wifeā€™s.

I got a bit adventurous to try me actually playing the bass rather than using MIDI and a digital instrument which is what I usually do in my original songs or other projects needing a bass part.

I was referring to the PRS David. That newness wore off quick. Surely itā€™s time for another new one now then? :crazy_face:

1 Like

It looks like you are REALLY enjoying this beautiful guitar and rock n rolling. :smiley: I enjoyed the performance very much. You are definitely making progress. :+1:

1 Like

@SgtColon
PRS is still a thrill to pick up and play, Stefan, I just imagined youā€™d already seen it in the NGD post or other recordings. Another new one :rofl: I canā€™t imagine that. I now have more guitars than I am playing regularly.

The forth and oldest is Nashville strung and just used when needed on original songs.

As Clint pointed out in his slide guitar AVOYP, I do have that resonator that is waiting patiently for me to get back into finger-style blues and to try some slide.

What else do I need, even want? Nothing really.

@kamkor
Thanks, Kamil, I sure am and appreciate the encouraging comment. If one can be having fun with music and improving then in my book I have it all.

1 Like

Hi David. Iā€™m a few Saturdays late in getting to this one.
That was terrific, a stellar production. Why have one DP when you can have four and all four of you were clearly having a load of fun!

You say youā€™re not sure if you had the Blues vibe. Well it sounded pretty blooozy to me! Some great tones and lots of Blues techniques going on, so itā€™s a big well done from me. :smiley:

2 Likes

@sairfingers
Thanks for taking time out when catching up to watch and comment, Gordon, really appreciate the encouragement.

It was a load of fun and I felt that I gained a lot from those 321 exercises we did. Being able to work bends in I think was a big step forward (irrespective of whether much work still required to get pitch accuracy) and I suppose that plus minor pentatonic helps to sound bluesy.