Sclay's Learning Log

Thanks for the input David. Yes I do notice at times about the wrist, and is something I’m working on. I sometimes think I may need a bit more angle away from the body, or even moving the wrist forward a bit.
Re the sound levels. Its actually been doing my head in. The backing track here, and on a previous one I did - Hurt So Good - appear alot louder than on my previews of it. Not sure what the issue is here, but its been bugging me for a while. Both the guitar and backing track are coming out of a mic’ed amp. Might have something to do with it. I actually did 3 takes on Sister Golden Hair before posting, as the backing track sounded too low. I suppose I want to get to the point where what I hear when I’m playing it, is what others hear when I record it. Will work away at it. Looking at getting an audio interface sometime this year, so that should help.
Thanks again for the input David. Much appreciated.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Good job Shane, great song. I reckon you did well.

As David said, backing track seemed a little high level and a bit distorted. Not sure about the wrist, seemed the camera angle may have made it seem worse than it was.

Rod.

1 Like

Thanks Rod for the feedback. Am gonna work on that sound level issue tomorrow cos it’s really bugging me. Hope all is going well with you mate.

Some good rhythm play there Shane, you’ve got a great strumming action going. That was a real barre chord workout. Lovely song , I haven’t heard it for ages. Well done.

1 Like

Good stuff Shane
Sounded great to me. I thought the guitar levels and tone were spot on (unless that was just the backing track and I couldn’t hear you at all! :laughing:)
It’s nice to see you getting into the groove and I smiled when you gave the little ‘right on’ point at the end :sunglasses:
Regarding suggestions, if you are going down the improv line, it might be interesting to join in a bit of the solo work at times. Also, I’ve never tried it before, but I’ve heard a number of people mention that triads are really cool to use when you’re jamming with somebody. If you treated this as a jam, maybe play some triads (whatever they are :laughing:)
Keep on rockin’ bro, good on ya1

1 Like

Yeah thanks Brian. I promise it was me playing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Need to work on some sound level issues though…will get onto it tomorrow.
Re the triads and improv…yeah totally agree. I’ve invested in em alot in the last 6 months, and they are helping alot. Slow and steady, but movin forward.
Hope all is well with you and you’re not freezing to death.
Cheers, Shane

Thanks Gordon. Much appreciated mate. And congratulations on your 4 year anniversary. Sorry, I forgot to mention it in my post on your page yesterday. Always enjoy your playing and singing.
Cheers, Shane.

That was great Shane, looked exhausting for your thumb muscle, I reckon by now you can crack nuts in the palm of your head :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: no nits from me, you played clean well and in time, now try to mix it up with some lead lines of the song and you are there. All the best.

Thanks Adrian for the feedback, and the tip. To be honest, I didnt give the lead lines any thought, as I was so focused on getting those barre chords and the push rhythm down. But since you mentioned it, I’m gonna have to give it a go now and learn them. :nerd_face:

1 Like

All well with miserable showers on Merseyside- I think you might have my location confused with @Mari63’s? :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting the freezing weather I’m in @brianlarsen or I wouldn’t have seen this gem! @sclay thats a cracking tune indeed, and a fun one to play. It’s a great campfire tune as well, at least for me, folks in my circle all seem to know it. If you want to incorporate some of the lead riffs, if you’re figuring them out on your own, great, awesome, if you want some input check out the lesson on kirbysguitarlessons.com. I also like how at the end of the verses I think it is he goes back to the usual E chord fingering to be able to add the 2nd fret on the 3rd string, to make it an Esus4 (otherwise the E chord fingering is great for switching between bar chords).

Thanks for sharing this one

1 Like

Thanks Mari for your feedback, and tips. Much a appreciated. Will check them out.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Improv in E 1-4-5
As I mentioned in my last entry, I’ve been gettin into some improv, taking baby steps with what I’ve learned so far. The clip below is a simple 1-4-5 in E. I 've tried to utilise some 7th arpeggio shapes and triads I’ve been learning, as well as the surrounding G, E and D minor pentatonic shapes.

Triads and arpeggios are very cool. Feel like they are really helping me to see and hear chord tones more frequently, rather than my previous initial improv endeavours of trying to land on them just within a scale pattern framework. I suppose that’s obvious to some, as that’s what they are, chord tones. For me, I’m still revelling, and fumbling, in the novelty of it all.

I think I’m going to mainly stick with just this 1-4-5 progression for the time being, trying it in different keys etc, to try and really bed down these arpeggio/ triad shapes, and utilise the minor pentatonic to try to add other tones to the mix. Also, keep working on simple bends, pulloffs and hammers-ons.

Appreciate any feedback, tips etc. Keen to hear from more experienced folk too, in how you approached your early steps into improv.

Cheers, Shane

4 Likes

That was sounding great, Shane. Hitting the chord tones, working the vibrato, not over playing, some bends. Beyond me to offer you suggestions on specific pointers to focus on.

I think I should be approaching my early steps into improv just like this.

Appreciate the feedback David, especially from you, as I know you’ll give it straight, without any bs. I was happy with it, given where I’m at. Lots to improve on of course, but I think I’ll stick with this structured, foundational approach for the time being with the view that, paradoxically, it’ll free me up more as it becomes ingrained.
However, I’m also under no illusion that this sort of stuff is years in the making, not weeks or months.
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

That’s a cool little improv Shane. Short phrases, repeated, varied, extended, lots of space. There’s much to appreciate and build on. :slight_smile:

Much appreciated Richard. Yeah, feels like I’m movin in the right direction. And you’ve got more than a little bit to do with that.
Cheers, and many thanks, Shane.

1 Like

That was great Shane. You had all the elements in there. The approach you’re taking to learn this style is clearly working.
I look forward to following your progress on this journey.

Many thanks Gordon. Much appreciated, as I know you too will always give me a straight up, no cuddly, no bs assessment.
Lots of work to do obviously, but those triads and arpeggios are really helping out.

Cheers, Shane

Great job shane really impressed with your approach and the results are sounding very good.