Second Original - Shadows of our Former Selves

Catching up on this one too James. Yes, a very different feel to this composition. You’ve highlighted the volume balance issue yourself. I wanted to listen to your lyric but it was quite fast and drowned out a bit by the guitar.

I felt the different sections didn’t blend together for some reason, perhaps a timing/rhythm issue, but what do I know, I’ve never written a song! :smiley:
However, the song definitely has potential and I’m confident the next edit of it will improve things.
As I said in my post about your other song, I’m most impressed that you’ve written song lyrics and melody. Well done again.

1 Like

@sairfingers

Thanks for checking this one out too, Gordon. Yes, I’m having some timing issue with the fills. It’s worse when the red light goes on. The only remedy I can think of is practice, practice and more practice and try to record myself more. The next edit will be a while as I focus on practicing and improving my playing. Though, I’ve got a couple of other ideas in my head that I’m trying not to let them distract me from learning and practicing.

1 Like

That was really nicely done James. I like how you brought lots of what you have learned into the song and the change ups within the song I thought were good.

Some great advice there from @jkahn but just to add, please buy yourself a mic. :smiley:

1 Like

@SgtColon

Thanks for taking the time to give this one a spin and comment, Stefan. I’m glad you thought the change ups within the song worked.

I really should have recorded this one using the Scarlett 2i2 studio package like I did with the first original or at least tried plugging the microphone into the Zoom H5 to capture the vocals. You live and you learn.

1 Like

Hi James,

Such a shame the vocal isn’t more prominent as there sounds like some really interesting vocals in there. Picked up a nice bit of edge at times.
I was getting a mid/late 90s vibe - Marcy’s Playground (Sex & Candy) feel.
Could well build the track into a full blown production. Tighten up the timing a little. Give those vocals some more spotlight.

Enjoyable song for sure.

Digger

1 Like

@Digger72

Hey Digger,

Thanks for checking this second original song out and taking the time to comment, it means a lot to me. I’m pleased to hear that you found the song enjoyable. I’ll definitely be revisiting this song as my skills develop, tighten up the timing, make tweaks and build the track into a full blown production.