Shaun’s “advancing beginner” log

I’m not really in a position to be recommending anything to anyone, I’m still new to this as well! Advice I was given was to work some F#m and Bm Bar chord songs like Changes in Attitude Changes in Latitude (Buffet), Love Story (Swift) and Hotel California (Eagles) and then work up to Lookin out my back door (CCR) and Brand (Looking Glass) for speed. It seems to be working out ok for me so far, but that’s not my advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally in a position where I’m thinking I could actually be soloing in the next few months which is such a huge motivator.

I’ve spent a good few months working all 5 forms of the minor and major pentatonics and doing basic phrasing around the roots in 8th notes. This has been a really fun process because now I can hear if I’m not resolving it properly versus worrying where the notes are. I’ve also made a point of starting in different positions and different stings in different keys.

Ive got this to a point where I can comfortably do it at 120 BPM. I’ve been learning licks along the way and trying to use them in different spots. I’ve also got the diagonal runs down with the slides.

I also learned all the notes on the fretboard and now that’s memorized I’m feeling like I’m about to make some good progress this year.

Probably the worst phrasing you’ll ever here but it’s foundational to lead so I’m super excited I can do this and not crash and burn :slight_smile: now I can take breaks because I want to instead of being to.

4 Likes

Also splashed out and got myself a Telecaster Vintera Deluxe. Absolutely love this guitar :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coming along nicely Shaun. :+1:
Looks like you’ve put in some decent amount of work, and are getting to know to the fretboard.
Sounds like a 4 chord progression you’re playing over?
Are you doing any soloing/ lead practice over a 1 chord progression, or a 2 chord progression? Great for really focusing on the sound and the phrasing, as you’re not chasing chords.

Another great exercise is to limit yourself to 2 positions only; say, the E shape and the D shape. You’ll find these type of exercises good for developing phrasing.

Yet another is limit yourself to top 3 strings, middle 3 strings, top 2 strings etc.

Of course what yoi’re doing is great as well I reckon. Limiting yourself though will force you to come up with more ideas, so its a win/win.

Its a long but worthy road I reckon, playing lead. I’ve been at it for a 2-3 years now, and still feel very much at a foundational stage.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Yes sir. I’ve been working the limited exercises too. I’ve been as focused as a single note, through to one strong, two strings etc. thanks for reinforcing that the limitation is often where the impact is though. I always remember the most amazing riffs and solos all being in one small section of the fretboard!

This was really just a bit of realization than I can go from 1 to 1 and resolve my phrases without dying a death and getting lost :slight_smile:

1 Like

All good Shaun. Seems like you’re on a good path.

Another cool little exercise is to play over a drone track, and hit the root note every 6th note, or 8th note, 5 note etc, whatever. You can try it with 3rds, and 5ths, b7 etc. The challenge is to maintain good tempo and phrasing, and nail those chord tones on the right beat. Endless musical drills.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

@math07 This is not even close to audible yet, but this is the bar chord workout I’m using with an inversion chord thrown in to get my bars down!

1 Like