Should I start a learning log?

Mine started off in the old forum in the ā€œRoad Casesā€ section which was a dumping ground for any personal learning, performance, gear, or other guitar journey related stuff.

When the new forum was created, this was renamed to ā€œLearning Logsā€ which really didnā€™t fit the content I had in my Road Case, which was more about my gear journey than my guitar learning log.

But I had a lot of content in there which some people seemed to like, so I cut and pasted it across anyway. I couldnā€™t see anywhere else to put it, so it ended up as a Learning Log, even though itā€™s not really that at all.

I donā€™t, personally, have a desire to log my learning journey. Frankly, these days, itā€™s too disjointed and unfocused to be easy to write something useful or interesting.

I can see that it would be more useful for someone near the beginning of their journey, where the course direction is more linear.

Cheers

Keith

Same thing here Keith and I still use my ā€œLearning Logā€ in the way I used the old Road Case and still refer to it as such. Iā€™ll drop a end of year review and planner, along with posts on the gear side of things but donā€™t use it as ā€œlearning logā€ and just rely on my spreadsheet. I did drop a couple of work in progress recording but didnā€™t think it served much of a purpose.

Still never clear why the Road Case were rebranded, as they were all of similar content on the old Forum. It would have been better just to create a Learning Log area for those that wanted it, which wasnā€™t a common thing back in the day. But as Mr Larsen often quotes ā€œif you build it they will comeā€ but rather than a new build, it was just a renaming exercise and the rest is history.

As to the OP, the simple answer to starting a log is, itā€™s a personal choice at the end of the day.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree with @jkahn on this (and much of what everyone else said above too). If you want to, give it a crack, canā€™t hurt :wink: Maybe you only post once every 6 months, but if it seems worthwhile at the time, why not?! For me it has evolved a little and I feel like now it is more a living document I will come back over time to revisit my journey and give perspective on where I am, where Iā€™ve come from and how I got there. Not really in terms of practice as such, but more perhaps in terms of life and how my guitar journey has helped shaped that :thinking: Still unsure exactly, but often I feel inspired to add another chapter and I have no doubt I will look back on them in time and find meaning :slight_smile:

PS checked out that link you posted above in response to @SILVIA and cracked up, thatā€™s me in a nutshell! :rofl: There were even videos in there Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve watched, including the Cannibal Corpse H.S.F. tute which surprised me that it made the cut! Clearly put together by someone with good taste :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

1 Like

I think we all see them as our own personal space for all sorts of guitar related stuffā€¦and more.
I think we all respect each otherā€™s personal space too.

Most of us have used the words ā€œLearning Logā€ in the title. Not very creative eh!
Iā€™d change mine if I could!

4 Likes