So dang discouraged šŸ˜–

Seriously, that makes me feel quite a bit better. I thought I was just a retread. The thing with learning online and alone is that the whole damn process stays so subjective. I sometimes wish I had a live teacher who could be more objective than Iā€™m capable of being

Thanks, Shane, for the encouraging words. Means a lot to me! :smiley:

I worked on HOTRS for a couple of weeksā€¦ I could get the chord changes but honestly, doing the fingerstyle on time was not working for me, so I gave it up. Havenā€™t tried ā€œEverybody Hurtsā€ yet. May give it a look

Brilliant advice! Thanks!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks, Brian! :innocent: :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, but I only have one guitar and most likely will only ever have this one. I did the theory course and it helped me quite a bit. Welcome to the community, btw

Happy Easter to you, too, Roger

Isolate the arpeggios and practice them on their own. Then go back to the song. Gotta get the motor memory to you fingers.

1 Like

Hey @brozzerb I think you need a small break of 1-3 days to sort of recharge.

After the break maybe tackle a solo and once you get good at that and have further developed confidence, hit that fingerstyle bday song?

A secret - I had skipped on that bday song in that module :wink: and just a week after that realised I could have performed it for someone the next day :man_facepalming:ā€¦ so I found this instead Happy Birthday Guitar Lesson - Fingerstyle Easy Folk Guitar Songs [FO-105] - YouTube and spent a good 4-5hrs on it and could play it with a few breaks (with a pick not the fingers) for that person that night. Maybe try this version as it uses normal chord shapes and could prove easier.

Bottomline is do what you find enjoyable and doable for now! Do try and take that breakā€¦ I know that would be hard too. Rooting for u!

Disclaimer - I am just a tiny bit drunk so this reply may be poorly structured :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When that happens I try to take a break and just play along with songs on the app. Then I go back and practice again. As long as you have the guitar in your hands I think we improve!
Like Justin says itā€™s a long journey.
We have to encourage each other!
Best regards!

1 Like

Others have told you already, but in case my example is of some useā€¦

Happened to me as well, but I moved on to Power Chords. I couldnā€™t nail the Happy Bday fingerstyle and decided I had enough. However, I kept practicing while doing power chords ā€œNothing Else Mattersā€ fingerstyle, and even though isnā€™t perfect I managed somehow to make it work for an AVOYP :relaxed: (it took me a couple of months, though :joy:).

The best of luck and take it easy on you :+1:

Thanks for that advice. I will definitely start doing so today! Sound advice and simple to follow for a noob like me!

This may well be the funniest damn thing Iā€™ve heard in ages! Thanks, Sloppy!

1 Like

The theoryā€¦ yes! Itā€™s such a refreshing change if pace and you get a breather while also increasing your knowledge. This helped me too while stuck in a mini rut.

Ha!

What I want to know is, when in our learning journey, will I be able to play ā€œa tiny bit drunkā€? Currently, one beer and Iā€™m fingers of jelly.

1 Like

I still stand by my disclaimer while sober :stuck_out_tongue: and i forgot to mention, those were some pretty rough 4-5 hours and I had just gotten sick of it at that point and not to mention hadnā€™t gotten it perfect. :slight_smile: So just give yourself a break!

Actuallyā€¦ I FEEL I play a bit better while drunk when I see the recording afterwards is a different story :rofl:
F chord changes are certainly faster as I feel a bit less pain :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not certain that I can, or even really want to, take a break. Playing guitar is one of the few things I seriously look forward to every day. It keeps me more or less sane. Otherwise, Iā€™d fall into a life of debauchery like yours!!! :crazy_face: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Hi there:

When things get to be too much, I recommend go back to basics. Build confidence again by playing a song or a riff you do know. Review some of the lesson 1 basics and have fun. Play 7 nation army or la bamba, whatever you feel good about. There is no stop watch going that times your progress to move on. I have been in level 2 for way too long, but in my mind I still have work to do. I am sure your friends and family see your progress and applaud your efforts. It is commendable to share your feelings here and ask for help. We have all been there. The key is never give up. You have that talent inside and you will achieve your goals.
The first goal is what can I do today?

Jeff

I still canā€™t play happy birthday, but it doesnā€™t bother me. No one will crowd around to listen to my take on happy birthday. I will go back to it when I can, but the key is to make progress.

Amen, Jeff. Thanks for reaching out, bro