Socio - 2023 - Blues Studies

Nicely done James and sounding good. Seems Mr Murrin takes a similar layered approach to Mr Hamburger adding complexity bit by bit. Looks like you’re making good progress.
Thanks for sharing.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@stitch
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Rick :smiley: it’s reassuring to know that I am progressing on the right path and laying decent foundations to build upon as I move onto the next piece.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Toby :smiley: yes, its a progressive approach adding brick by brick. I’m finding this sort of approach is broadening my understanding of how the pieces are put together. The proof will be in the pudding if I ever challenge myself to come up with my own arrangement in the future.

1 Like

Sounding good James :+1:

1 Like

@liaty

Hey Dave thanks for the watch and feedback mate, It’s much appreciated. I’ve always wondered if anyone at open mics play fingerstyle blues?

1 Like

Impressive playing james, loved how you did the zoom in to you playing too.

1 Like

This is similar to one of my goals, James, I’d like to be able to create finger-style arrangements of rock/pop/blues songs that I like. Learning arrangements from other people is a big first step towards that, but hopefully I’ll work on doing my own simple arrangement of something in a couple of months or so.

1 Like

Absolutely, there’s all sorts of styles going on.

The best I’ve heard so far was a guy who had made (and played wonderfully) a three string solid body ‘cigar box’ guitar.

1 Like

@alexisduprey
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Alexis. After watching Mari’s solo blues video shot with multiple cameras I thought I’d try out the pan and zoom features on my cheap video editing software.

@Mari63
That sounds like a wonderful goal. I look forward to hearing your arrangements later in the year. I really need to get around to doing some ear training to work on melodies. So many things to learn and work on but not enough hours in the day.

1 Like

Hey James, that second video was pretty good as well. Sounds like your blues is coming along nicely.

That zoom & pan was cool. I reckon it was probably a bit grainy because of the video resolution, I assume you’re recording from a 1080p camera or your phone instead of a 4k camera?

1 Like

@jkahn

Hey JK, thanks for the watch and feedback mate. Yes, I was recording from the laptop camera which is 1080p so that would explain the zoom section being a bit grainy.

For sake of my own understanding, James. The pan & zoom was done during video editing afterwards? I assume so and now I think about it that was probably obvious to all but me.

@DavidP
Hi David, yes the pan and zoom was done during video editing afterwards using my cheap software.

1 Like

Nice, James. Cool Blues! I expect this takes some time to get it down with brain and fingers cooperating with each other. I’m just now getting the real taste of fingerpicking. Concerning getting the brain to cooperate with everything else; reminds me of how much practice it took me to get down some of that Rhythm Guitar Practice with strumming, timing, accents off the main beat and foot tapping. Whew!

1 Like

@pkboo3
Thanks for the watch and feedback Pam :smiley: Yes, the tricky bit is getting the thumb working independent from the fingers but even then it still leaves the brain focusing on fretting and picking the right strings. I’m finding the third piece is taking me a little bit longer to get down as some of the bars are similar to the last piece I learned, so my fingers were getting confused. It’s certainly increased my level of respect for those that play fingerstyle and especially those that can sing at the same time. I look forward to hearing some of the fingerstyle pieces that you are learning.

Great job on starting the blues and fingerstyle. I really admire people who can play fingerstyle and keep that bass pumping. Nice job there.
Love the sound you’ve got going on these, and look forward to your progress.

1 Like

@oldhead49
Thanks for the watch and feedback Dave :smiley: it means a lot to this little grasshopper learning how to play guitar. Keeping that bass pumping was a learning experience along with then telling the thumb it needs to do swung eighth notes instead of straight eigth notes. I’m hoping that I can achieve the same level of progress with blues rhythm and soloing.

Fingerstyle Blues Piece No. 3

Following on from the second fingerstyle blues piece I’ve made some progress with the next piece which builds upon the first piece by introducing the blue scale.

Blues Rhythm #1

6 Likes

Blues Rhythm Piece No. 1

Since I was setup for recording I decided to record a little jamming session where I played the 12BB with the open 7th chords and improvised with the 12BB shuffle riff. The next step on my blues rhythm exploration is to learn and incorporate turn-arounds.

6 Likes

You are making great progress and recordings sound good, James!

1 Like

I love the sound of this piece, James, nice playing. The steady bass hit is perfect and the sound of your guitar is beauty. Very nice.

1 Like