Socio - 2023 - Blues Studies

Hey James, I’ve just listened to a couple of your fingerstyle videos, you’re really good. Have to say you’ve inspired me! Thank you.

1 Like

Fingerstyle Blues Piece No. 4

Following on from the third fingerstyle blues piece I’ve made some progress with the next piece which builds upon the first piece by introducing arpeggios into the mix.

plus

Kindergarten Blues

11 Likes

Fabulous, James, you are tempting me, inspiring me to fololow you down this road.

1 Like

Another good one James! Getting into playing some more complex melody with that thumb going. I might have to give these a shot sometime, I was looking at a Black Keys riff the other day that is picked like this, this looks like a great way into doing that.

1 Like

Hi James,
On a Roll :sunglasses: :clap:

So important for what I want to learn how to play this kind of thing, but I find it so dxmn difficult, that thumb is really good on the way with you, keep doing what you’re doing and it will become your “metronome” by " itself" :sweat_smile:

Greetings…

1 Like

Very bluesy, James, sounding good! Pieces that stack up on each other for learning new skills are great, especially when they sound cool!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

James your progress is shining through with each piece you’re posting, it’s terrific mate! Blues certainly seems to suit you, and you it, particularly well. :+1:

1 Like

tapping my foot to this new one James. really digging all these fingerstyle pieces.

1 Like

@DavidP
Thanks for the watch and support, David. You’ve got the key to the highway so come and join me on this blues road trip.

@jkahn
Thanks for the watch and support, JK. It’s definitely worth giving these a shot as they are fun to play and gradually build the foundations. I’m going to have to check out The Black Keys now.

@roger_holland
Thanks for the watch and support, Rogier. I found it more difficult than it looks to get that thumb working independently. Many minutes passed by just thumbing along to a metronome.

@Mari63
Thanks for the watch and support, Mari. I’m finding that pieces that build up block by block help with laying the foundations whilst providing insight into the development of arrangements. Hopefully, I will be able to take on Justin’s solo blues material in the near future.

@Notter
Thanks for the watch and support, Mark. It is pleasing to read that you can see progress being made through this series of blues studies.

@alexisduprey
Thanks for the watch and support, Alexis. It is pleasing to read that you are enjoying these fingerstyle pieces, hopefully, I can inspire you to learn a few pieces.

1 Like

Oh James that was very tasty. I loved that bass note running throughout the piece. I also loved the laidback feel of it as well.

Now where is my jam jar of mountain juice?

1 Like

@SgtColon
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Stefan. I’m pleased to hear that your enjoying following these short study pieces.

1 Like

Great progress James!

Keep them coming :sunglasses:

1 Like

James, that sounds awsome. Very intersting thread, I’ll stay connected, as I’m planning to go into blues too. Great progess!

1 Like

Making good progress James, just love that laid back Delta Blues. Listening to the pieces the courses is framed very much like the Hamburger one I am following. Just starting the 9th piece so really need to get some recording done ! Just caught the rhythm video, nice and steady all the way through of both parts, Well done sir !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

James, Finally got to take in the last three. Very impressive playing and sound. You are really getting a handle on the blues and making superb progress.

1 Like

Hi James, you’re definitely making good progress on this. Congratulations :clap::+1::star_struck:.
Sounds very cool and bluesy :sunglasses: .
I’m looking forward to hearing more from your Blues journey :smiley:.

1 Like

That sounded wonderful James. Very chilled and relaxed. I need to learn some blues!

1 Like

@liaty
Thanks for the watch and support, Dave. Plenty more on the way as I continue to push for progress. If all goes to plan I may even record another blues fingerstyle piece this weekend.

@Helen0609
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Andrea. Blues is fantastic to explore and as you can see from this study topic their is plenty of scope to learn and build from as a beginner.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Toby. Yes, it’s a very similar approach to Hamburger; you should definitely get some recordings done, I’d be super interested in watching them. Thanks for the feedback on the rhythm post, I wasn’t sure how that one would turnout. It was a great learning experience and made me hungry for doing two guitar recordings.

@oldhead49
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Dave. It’s encouraging to read that others can see progress being made. Hopefully, I can continue to keep adding progressively to those building blocks.

@NicoleKKB
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Nicole. It’s encouraging to read that others can see progress being made. I’ve got the next blues fingerstyle piece under my fingers so hopefully record it some time soon.

@Eddie_09
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Eddie. You should definitely learn some blues. I look forward to watching you play some.

4 Likes

James, I’ve been trying to record the first 5 of 20, plus the first 2 of Justin’s Solo Blues Course but been suffering from severe RBS and keep stuffing up. Really frustrating but hoping to get over the “record button” hurdle and get some posted. After all these years you’d think that had all gone away. If only. :scream:

3 Likes

May I ask you, if you are following Justin’s course or is it another one?