Socio - 2023 - Blues Studies

These pieces keep getting better and better James. You can even see your comfort in playing fingerstyle come through in a the video and feel.

1 Like

Good stuff, James. Man, that thumb is getting to be like a built-in metronome.

1 Like

@jkahn
Hey JK, thanks for checking out my Kindy blues. Itā€™s reassuring to read that you can see progress being made. Only two more pieces and Iā€™ll be on my way to primary school blues.

@SgtColon
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Stefan. Yes, when playing the fingerstyle blues the bass is muted to allow the melody to shine. Though, Iā€™m eager to try replacing some of those bass plucks with some palm slaps or pops for some added dynamics.

@sairfingers
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Gordon. I had a good old chuckle when I read your comment :rofl:

@Notter
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Mark. Itā€™s been a while since I wore a tie so I will certainly have to refresh myself on how to do an oxford bow :rofl:

@alexisduprey
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Alexis. It is pleasing to read that you can see progress being made through these pieces. Itā€™s interesting that you point out about seeing comfort in playing fingerstyle coming through in the video as Iā€™ve noticed that Iā€™m starting to slowly get more relaxed playing these pieces in front of the camera. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s because Iā€™m filming more often these days or if its just with that particular style or level of complexity. The last one I posted was actually a first take.

@oldhead49
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Dave. You gave me a good chuckle with that comment :rofl: Itā€™s good to know that all that time thumbing the bass notes to a metronome while tapping my foot is starting to pay off.

3 Likes

Nice work Socio. You are definitely making good progress here. Honestly, I think youā€™re ready to play with the big kids now.

Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™d still consider you to be a Kindergarten player, because youā€™re checking a lot of boxes already:

• Solid 12 bar blues
  • Shuffle rhythm
  • In time chord changes
  • Minor pentatonic melody
  • Integration of arpeggio / chord tones
  • String bends in tune
  • Fingerstyle playing
  • Thumb muting the E-string

Thatā€™s a lot already! My suggestion for the next step would be to change the 12 bar blues progression (quick changes, slow changes, climb-ups, turnarounds, ā€¦) and see if you can create an interesting melody over the different chords. Good luck! :wink:

1 Like

@Jeff
Thanks for the watch and feedback, Jeff, it is very much appreciated. Those are some good suggestions for the next step and I will be covering them as I work on building and solidifying the foundations.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while since I did any update to my blues study. Slowly getting back into and thought I would end this month off with a recording and continue next month as I finished this month. Surprisingly, I still remembered the next fingerstyle blues piece which I havenā€™t practiced in a couple of months. Though Iā€™m a bit rusty.

11 Likes

Enjoyed all three of those studies, James.

I can imagine having a great deal of fun with the first laid down on a looper and then loodling away.

And the second reminds me a little of a recording I made laying down a bass track in the DAW, some rhythm, and again noodling over the self-made BT.

The third just gets my juices bubbling and reflecting on why I am suddenly in such a playing slump.

Bravo, and keep on keeping on, you are making progress and sounding so good.

PS I was imemdiately on the title update and then saw your request ā€¦ always a pleasure

2 Likes

Hi James ,
Nice :sunglasses: :clap:
Actually I can repeat what David saysā€¦except from the DAW and change the title :grin:
Greetings

1 Like

@DavidP

Thank you, David. Thatā€™s the plan, once Iā€™ve got all the beginner blues skills down including soloing, to put them all into practice using my looper and have some fun consolating them. I totally understand where youā€™re coming from regarding playing slump. Hope you find your way out of it soon and get back to having some fun with your guitars.

@roger_holland

Thank you, Rogier. Iā€™m pretty sure if you asked your magic eight ball what you should buy next it will say a DAW :wink: oh and probably another guitar too :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Ooo I would really like it, but not quite enough to put my time into it apparently, but when I hear the many people here play with a professional sound then ā€¦ ow ow a little novice player quickly sounds like a pro :smiley:ā€¦especially when it comes to distortion/gain rock music

:joy: :rofl: yes yes yes :innocent:

1 Like

Sounding good , James. I just love the steady muted ā€˜thunkā€™ of the bass note - very bluesy!

1 Like

@Mari63

Thank you, Mari. Yes, the sound of the steady muted bass gives it such a bluesy feel. I was just looking the other day at a piece based on Rev Gary Davis which looks like it could be fun to play.

All 3 pieces sounding really nice James. As David said that stop-time piece would be awesome to mess around with on a loop!
I wouldnā€™t call any of that rusty btw, it shows youā€™ve got your fingers programmed!

1 Like

You are building up your tool kit quite well, James. All pieces sounded really good, played very cleanly and as always good to see what others learn in the blues section. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@Notter

Thank you, Mark. Yes, the stop time piece is super fun to play and must be amazing playing a series of hits with a band.

@Helen0609

Thank you, Andrea. Yes, itā€™s good to build up a tool kit progressively with the aim at the end of applying the things you have learned as a complete piece. The stop time one exercise I found to be a good alternative to practicing power chords.

1 Like

Nice James! Very bluesy , with a nice vibe and I see your back on your barre chords for that first piece. Is that also a new guitar in the first part of the clip? Looks nice.

Itā€™s amazing what the brain can retain.

1 Like

@SgtColon

Thanks Stefan. I think that was actually the first piece that Iā€™ve recorded myself playing power chords.

Not a new guitar, Iā€™ve had that one for just over a year now, though, I think Iā€™ve only done a couple of AVoYPs playing it. I really need to start recording more with it.

Absolutely, you would think all the new information would push out all the old information.

1 Like

Super stuff James. Youā€™ve got those pieces down. The first one could have been the bass beat to dozens of 60ā€™s pop songs. Itā€™s all based around blues but who knew it at the time. Until you start learning guitar you just donā€™t realise. Well done.

1 Like

Hello James, these tunes were not only really well played :clap::clap:, but also very interesting to listen to. It shows how many different facets blues can have (and there are certainly many more :smiley:). For example, I was really surprised to see you playing power chords in the first part. For whatever reason, I always thought, this technique were only a ā€˜rock thingā€™ :face_with_peeking_eye:.

Thanks a lot for sharing. It was a pleasure listening to it :hugs:.

1 Like

Hi James, I found all the three pieces very enjoyable to listen to and I particularly liked the Boogie Woogie :star_struck: All the work and practice youā€™re putting into your Blues studies are definetely paying off. From my humble point of view the playing, I mean how the fingers move here, looks very accurate, and you kept time very nicely, I think there was only one moment in the first piece where I thought you were a bit struggling with it, for the rest I found it very smooth and made my head nodding along :blush: Bravo James!

1 Like