Socio - 2023 - Blues Studies

@DavidP
Hi David, yes the pan and zoom was done during video editing afterwards using my cheap software.

1 Like

Nice, James. Cool Blues! I expect this takes some time to get it down with brain and fingers cooperating with each other. I’m just now getting the real taste of fingerpicking. Concerning getting the brain to cooperate with everything else; reminds me of how much practice it took me to get down some of that Rhythm Guitar Practice with strumming, timing, accents off the main beat and foot tapping. Whew!

1 Like

@pkboo3
Thanks for the watch and feedback Pam :smiley: Yes, the tricky bit is getting the thumb working independent from the fingers but even then it still leaves the brain focusing on fretting and picking the right strings. I’m finding the third piece is taking me a little bit longer to get down as some of the bars are similar to the last piece I learned, so my fingers were getting confused. It’s certainly increased my level of respect for those that play fingerstyle and especially those that can sing at the same time. I look forward to hearing some of the fingerstyle pieces that you are learning.

Great job on starting the blues and fingerstyle. I really admire people who can play fingerstyle and keep that bass pumping. Nice job there.
Love the sound you’ve got going on these, and look forward to your progress.

1 Like

@oldhead49
Thanks for the watch and feedback Dave :smiley: it means a lot to this little grasshopper learning how to play guitar. Keeping that bass pumping was a learning experience along with then telling the thumb it needs to do swung eighth notes instead of straight eigth notes. I’m hoping that I can achieve the same level of progress with blues rhythm and soloing.

Fingerstyle Blues Piece No. 3

Following on from the second fingerstyle blues piece I’ve made some progress with the next piece which builds upon the first piece by introducing the blue scale.

Blues Rhythm #1

6 Likes

Blues Rhythm Piece No. 1

Since I was setup for recording I decided to record a little jamming session where I played the 12BB with the open 7th chords and improvised with the 12BB shuffle riff. The next step on my blues rhythm exploration is to learn and incorporate turn-arounds.

6 Likes

You are making great progress and recordings sound good, James!

1 Like

I love the sound of this piece, James, nice playing. The steady bass hit is perfect and the sound of your guitar is beauty. Very nice.

1 Like

Another great set of performances James. My favorite was the finger style piece. You’re really good at keep that steady bass.

1 Like

Sounding good James. I was expecting you to break out into a screaming lead on a third video! That’ll be a future video I’m sure. You’ve also given me some ideas for the future. My only input would be on the levels of the tracks, I’d even them out a bit.

Keep on playing the blues!

1 Like

Progressing nicely still James, raunchy tone on the Rhythm Piece #1, you’re still making me want to get on to this more and more!! The fingerstyle stuff is truly impressive :+1:

Appreciate the rhythm piece was an impromptu recording session but perhaps a slightly less gainy tone for the improv track to shine it through a little?

1 Like

Just to add James, on editing the topic title. As the post owner, you should see an edit button by the title when you’re at the top of the thread.

1 Like

@DavidP @alexisduprey @Mari63 @Notter

Thanks for the watch and feedback. It’s pleasing to read that you enjoyed these blues pieces. It’s great to share this blues learning journey with the community.

I’m really enjoying learning fingerstyle blues and looking forward to working on the next piece where arpeggios are introduced into the mix. Furthering my knowledge and experience of blues rhythm has been so much fun too.

That is definitely on the cards as part of my blues soloing studies. Though, I’ve still got a lot of practicing and learning to do.

To be honest as a beginner I wasn’t quite sure how to approach the tones for two blues rhythm guitar parts but I’m sure that will develop over time with experience. Similarly, on the production side I really need to spend time learning about mixing, levels etc. Especially now that I’ve been toying with the idea of learning multiple parts. This was a big learning curve for me as it was the first time I’ve mixed two part’s that I’ve recorded and the video editing almost got the best of me even though it turned out to be rather simple.

I did manage to update the title that way last time but in this instance it only let’s me modify the post. Maybe us mere mortals can only amend title a limited number of times or I don’t have a clue what I’m doing :wink:

4 Likes

I see you snuck in two more videos. Nice clean playing on both. Steady timing good job on both. Would have like to see a simple turn around in there but that will come with time.

An easy way to start is use the bridge pick up for one and the neck pick up for the other. This way you don’t need to adjust the amp or play with knobs between the two takes, just flip the pick up switch.

1 Like

If that’s the case just wait and see the same question from me, coming soon to an AVOYP thread near you :wink:

1 Like

Great job James! We have fingerstyle blues, now rhythm, I feel lead is coming together very soon in this post :grin: all the best!

1 Like

Hi James,
Nice job :sunglasses: :clap:, I’m allmost mis this … no idea if it matters to you, but if you post a Youtube/Photo/tumbnail it stands out better to me, I miss a link like that much faster when scrolling down a topic,and I often miss date changes in the title, etc but do what you feel comfortable with of course :smile:,it’s probably just me, I miss more lately :grimacing:

You have already received tips for improvement and for the entire process I say … keep it up :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

James the blooooozeman. Great stuff. You’re really getting to grips with all this.

1 Like

@stitch @adi_mrok @roger_holland @sairfingers

Thanks for following me on this blues journey of discovery and supporting me with your feedback along the way.

I was debating with myself whether to record and post the blues rhythm piece now or wait until I had learned a simple turnaroun which is next on my blues rhythm learning list. The next rhythm piece I record will include a turnaround.

Thank you for that bit of advice, it’s much appreciated.

Yes, lead is on the cards. Right now I’ve been focusing on developing my rhythm chops. I have been thinking lately in learning a T-Bone, Albert Collins or Doobie Brothers song. If you’d asked me who they were before I started JG course I wouldn’t have a clue. Or maybe an Eric Clapton song.

Every bit of feedback matters to me. Next new recording post I’ll make sure it stands out.

I blame the three blues brothers for getting me started down this path. Maybe one day I’ll be able to produce a decent rhythm backing track for you three to solo over.

1 Like