Socio's Learning Log

@kravean

Thanks Tom :smiley: The classic course is the old version of the beginners course.

You’re trucking along so well here James, another fantastic update!
It’s been great to read both yours and Edgar’s (@Rumil) logs as I begin to scope out how I want to tackle G2 consolidation, appreciate your inspiration!

1 Like

@Notter

Thanks Mark :smile: It’s a difficult one as it’s not set out like in Grade 1 Consolidation. Justin say’s the essential things to work on are what excites you; to focus on what you enjoy playing; don’t waste time on techniques you will never use. I get the impression you are like me and enjoyed everything that we have learned in the course so far across the various genres, so it is difficult to scope out how to tackle it if you are set on timescale for moving on to Grade 3. I’m just like a surfer enjoying riding the ‘Grade 2 Consolidation’ wave until it turns into a tiny ripple.

Hi James, good you are enjoying your Grade 2 consolidation time. When my time comes I’ll be going in the other direction from Beginner Course [Classic] to select content of Beginner Grades 1 & 2.

1 Like

@dobleA

Hi Andrés I would definitely recommend going through the new Beginners Course Grades 1 and 2 as there is some good stuff in there not taught in the Classic Course. The new course has some nice blues lead and solo arrangements. I don’t recall the classic course having similar arrangements. Though the lesson book that went with the course had similar arrangements in the bonus material. The videos of which are still on YouTube. Good luck completing the classic course.

1 Like

Indeed very similar I think James. I’m putting my plan together atm to then begin after the OM this weekend. I’m thinking 2 or 3 songs in specific categories but with the categories kind of based around the modules. So a couple of songs targeting barre chords, couple of fingerstyle, power chords etc… but all with a goal of perfecting each. I’ll get it posted on my own LL before the end of the month. I’m not going to set a timescale, I haven’t really done that so far through my journey but I have tended to know when I’m good to take the next step.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good plan Mark :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That sounds like a solid plan to me. Structure helps me feel the momentum of moving forward so this is the exact type of thing that I would do. Especially if I were trying to consolidate from each module like you stated.

2 Likes

While the missus is away for 3 weeks visiting her family I decided it was the perfect time to upgrade my Katana Mini Amp to a Katana 100 Mk 2 (with her blessing) to start consolidating rock techniques. The amplifier gets delivered tomorrow. In preparation for its delivery I received today Boss Wl-20 wireless guitar system to eliminate the cables for my dogs as playing in the living room (thats my excuse).

4 Likes

Oh the katana 100 is the big boy. I love my 50 and I know that there are even more features in the 100. Not to get you to buy more gear but I love using the Boss FS-6 foot switch to switch between channels. Great for doing songs like smells like teen spirit where you switch between 3 or 4 different tones.

2 Likes

Time to rock out, volume on loud while the wife is away! If it’s anything like my house you’ll be back on low or headphones when she’s back :smiley:

Thanks, I never thought about that… I do have the Boss FS-7 foot switch that I got a while ago for my boss looper. I presume that I could use that to control the amp channel switching.

That’s for sure, so I better make the most of it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes, it will work. I use the FS-7 to switch channels on my K50 Mk 2.

1 Like

Well its arrived and I’ve checked the software version and updated it. I’ve downloaded the tone studio but not checked it out yet. Luckily I kept all those cables that you acquire over the years and end up in a drawer somewhere with the missus saying do you really need all those cables and reply you never know one day I might.

6 Likes

Tone studio is really where the power is. I believe there are options in the that you can’t do with the manual buttons, or at least I haven’t figured out how to do on my Katana 50.

At the very least it’s really easy to mess around with the settings and create patches in the tone studio

1 Like

Happy NAD… :partying_face: :sunglasses:
Greetings

1 Like

I think Justin has a few lesson on using the Tone Studio on YouTube which I’ll have to check out. The wireless dongles worked well. I felt free. Now I just need to learn how to play decent on the electric, I haven’t played the electric guitar enough.

1 Like

Thanks @roger_holland I should have got a decent amplifier when I got the electric. What a difference it makes… it shows up all my mistakes and imperfections even more :wink:

1 Like

In my experience electric is easier than acoustic so I’m sure it won’t take long for you to get the hang of it.

1 Like