Socio's Learning Log

Having read a few learning logs recently where the writers were very organised and seeing Toby’s wonderful scale diagrams I decided to invest in Neck Diagrams 2 and start using the software to make my own chord books and scale diagrams.

1 Like

Chord book produced in NeckDiagrams 2 covering all the chord grips learned so far on the course and the additional ones that I have picked up from learning songs. The software was very intuitive and it didn’t take much time or effort to put together.

As I’m now learning scales I decided to also develop a scale/pattern book. I used NeckDiagrams to produce the scale diagram and Guitar Pro to produce tab for the scale. I was then embedded the tab below the scale diagram in NeckDiagrams.

I do like how easy it is to add information such as fingerings, intervals and notes. It should help with the practical music theory course.

Happy to share samples if any beginners are looking for ideas for developing their own chord book or thinking about investing in NeckDiagrams or Guitar Pro to give an idea of what someone at beginner level can produce using the software.

Easter weekend was a good one for getting in some guitar practice. That impostor clown going around the community was either on holiday or visiting someone else. First seven practice sessions on Module 11 have drawn to a close. My thoughts so far of my progress on this module:

• F Chord Chord Changes
    The changes are coming along reasonably well but still require improvement. This week I will focus more on developing those changes between C & F, Am & F and G & F.

• Exploring Sus Chords
    I feel quite comfortable using the Sus Chords and have been using them in a couple of songs (Writing to Reach You and Why Does It Always Rain on Me) that I have been working on. The only thing that I am struggling with is achieving positive finger placement of the little finger when applying the Asus4 as an ornament. This week I will add some finger stretching exercises into the practice routine.

• C Major Scale Improvisation
    I’ve enjoyed this exercise very much and know the C Major Scale very well now. This week I will focus on incorporating alternate picking into the exercise and maybe some hammer ons if I feel brave.

• Fingerstyle Practice
    The beginners fingerstyle practice is coming along reasonably well. The volume and tone seem consistent, and timing seems even throughout. This week I will continue to practice the pattern with a metronome. I’ve also completed the first two exercises in the Tommy Emmanual course which was a really good workout on my thumb, chord changes and timing playing the boom chick. This week I will move on the next two exercises that focus on keeping the boom chick going with the thumb and bringing in the fingers.

• Fingerstyle Songs
    In terms of songs I’ve been working on Hallelujah and now have the song memorized (apart from all of the lyrics). This week I will focus on polishing up the song in terms of tempo and chord changes.

• Happy Birthday
    I can now play the guitar riff from memory using thumb and fingers 1, 2 and 3. This week I will focus on improving the tempo of playing the riff.

I think I should be in a good position for moving onto the next grade in a weeks time. I still have enough stuff to work on improving on Module 11 to keep me focused and content for at least another week.

2 Likes

Well done James. Sounds like good progress is being made. You seem to have a good focused approach.

1 Like

Sounds great, James, keep pressing on!

1 Like

Thanks Gordon. Progressing reasonably well but I expect the most progress will be made during the consolidation period that’s if I don’t get too distracted by Layla.

1 Like

Thanks David. Well I’ve got that Am Pentatonic Scale now in my memory all set for the next module. I checked out that Stitch Methods video that you gave me the link to and enjoyed it. I was looking at his other videos on strumming that also grabbed my attention. Cheers for pointing me in his direction.

I was just looking at Justin’s soundcloud playlist and found some nice backing tracks including another one on the C Major Scale. Though it looks like he has an extra finger :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

And they used to say ‘a photograph never lies’ :rofl: now with the wonders of Photoshop :grin:

1 Like

Either that or he moves his fingers so fast the camera couldn’t catch up. I was just checking out the iTunes Store and see that most of the backing tracks are available to buy as an album or as a single. For practicing improvising the Am Pentatonic Scale would it be an Am backing track?

James, I am not an expert, but think the following is correct.

Yes, an Am BT will work. And you can use Am pentatonic over 12BB in A. You could also try the Am pentatonic over a BT in C major since Am is the relative minor of C major.

1 Like

It’s been a fortnight since I did an update and almost a week since I’ve played the guitar.

I’ve been away up to sunny Scotland visiting family. Unfortunately there was no room in the car to take the guitar with me.

I was hoping to catch one of @sairfingers local gigs when I was up in Scotland but it’s very difficult to get a hold of any tickets; they are like the Willie Wonka’s golden tickets.

Looking forward to picking up the guitars this week, reconnect with them and continue to try and make some progress.

My plans for this week is to continue with the Power Chord Module Practice with the aim to move onto the Blues Module at the weekend. I’ll likely spend more time on power chords during the consolidation period once I find a few songs that click with me.

Since watching @SgtColon wonderful rendition of Wonderwall I’ve found myself in an oasis of learning a few Noel Gallagher songs: Wonderwall, Cast No Shadow, Supersonic (High Flying Birds version) and Don’t Look Back in Anger (both the Oasis and High Flying Birds versions).

I’m half the world away from doing another AVOYP but thoroughly enjoying learning these songs that I have heard played live so many times. At least with these songs I don’t need to learn the lyrics so that’s half the battle won.

And thanks to the advice of @DavidP I’m making fantastic performance with Why Does It Always Rain On Me. That Bm is coming along nicely. Just taking my time polishing off whilst I work on other aspects of my learning but will be a wonderful campfire song from a local band.

5 Likes

9th June 2022

9 months into the my learning journey and that’s me completed the Beginners Grade 2 Lessons.

Reflections:

I feel that I have made steady progress especially with my strumming and rhythm. There are aspects of my playing that I want to refine/improve/develop further during the consolidation period.

• ensuring that I am applying just the right amount of pressure when fingering chords.
  • ensuring that I achieve positive finger placement when playing without looking.
  • improving transitioning to the Weak Finger G, F Barre, F Mini and Bm Chords from other chords.
  • develop further my fingerstyle technique.
  • improving power chord techniques particularly palm muting.
  • exploring other 12-bar blues variations and shuffle riffs.
  • developing further improvisation using the minor pentatonic scale in various keys.

The Plan:

I’ve given this some careful consideration and feel a structural approach would work best for me and to avoid getting lost in the process. Therefore, I have developed a series of practice schedules to achieve the above. There will be no time frame for the practice schedules as they will be adjusted on the basis of practice what you can’t do and not what you can do.

So to kick things off I will be starting with the following for the first couple of practice sessions of the consolidation period:

• repertoire revision - I am working on a number of songs at the moment so this will vary each day to keep things fresh.
  • Finger Workout - Spread 'Em! One of the songs I am working has a stretchy chord (stuck 3&4 CmAdd9) so I am hoping including this exercise will help with that chord.
  • fingerstyle - Work on other patterns and styles.
  • Minor Pentatonic Scale - work with a metronome/backing track and embed it more.
  • Play Without Looking Exercises 1 & 2 (A, Am, D, Dm, E and Em chords) - I plan on using these exercises to work on my finger pressure and positive finger placement when playing without looking.
  • Perfect Fast Changes - F Chord - This is something that I need to keep working on.
  • Perfect Fast Changes - Bm Chord - This is something that I need to keep working on.
  • Percussive Hit Practice - This is a technique that I would like to continue on from the last module of Grade 2 to make further improvement.
  • Song Work -
    (1) Three Little Birds - this is a song that I previously covered in an AVOYP and one of the comments that I received was with regards to my finger placement for the D chord. So it makes sense to refresh my memory on this song and work on achieving better finger placement when playing without looking.
    (2) A Girl Like You - this is a song that I learned in Grade 1 and decided it could be an interesting project song. I’ve stripped the guitar and vocals from the track using RipX DeepRemix to make a backing track. The plan is to refresh my memory and record the rhythm and solo guitar over the backing track. The solo is a good exercise to put into use the minor pentatonic scale.
5 Likes

Congrats on the progress made, James. You are making good progress and the plan makes sense.

1 Like

Hi James,
Everything is well organized,good and logical planning :sunglasses:…doesn’t look like the chaotic path I walk,…I have collected hundreds of loose notes around me and in the drawers over the past 2.5 years, and wrote down many things repeatedly because … well yes, because :man_shrugging: :upside_down_face:…but you learn much faster your way and that is definitely worth something… :wink:
Have fun and greetings…

1 Like

Great update, hopefully we’ll see another AVOYP from you soon?

Hi David, Thanks :smiley: Trying to follow Justin’s effective practice lessons on the Playground and avoid running blind through the consolidation period by keeping a practice schedule and practicing in a focused way. Easier said than done.

Hi Rogier, Thanks :smiley: I learned from watching the A Team when I was a kid that its always good to have a plan especially one that comes together :sunglasses:

I always remember from the TV series Twin Peaks the line said by Agent Cooper “a path is formed by laying one stone at a time”. So however chaotic that path that you walk may seem there is a method behind the madness and that path is certainly taking you to good places.

Hi JK, Thanks :smiley: I’m not a million miles away from doing some more AVOYPs. I have a few songs in the pipeline that I can play reasonably well, just a couple of chord changes that are taking a bit of time to get ingrained. But hopefully it will be like waiting for a bus; where you wait for one for a couple of hours and then a few come along at the same time :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
:joy:

I’m 48…so the same school…but picked up on different things,…there were many different types… :innocent:

Twin Peaks never seen, but that’s a nice analogy…
I’m just making my foundation very wide, and when that comes together I’ll go up like a rocket … although I have often been thinking about the words of Lieven in recent weeks that you should not continue to build foundation but also go up in the air … …I just have a little more time fortunately than most people (and the main goal of learning guitar was/is to be tired in the evening, think about this and about schedules and other theory in bed, don’t worry and sleep well).
And if I really focus on something later then… :boom: :wink:
Greetings

1 Like