Socio's Learning Log

And when you’ve learned some songs learn more songs more songs more songs more songs more songs more songs more songs more songs. Simples Just Play. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner And that software DeepRemix has become fantastic for that mate. Being able to rip the songs in my music library and then upload the rips onto my looper to play along with :sunglasses:

Hi James,
You make it easy for me

ctrl-c … ctrl-v
Everything is well organized,good and logical planning :sunglasses:…doesn’t look like the chaotic path I walk,… :joy:,…

But I mean it :sunglasses:(and I had to search for a long time for my text, so it wasn’t that easy :grin:)
Greetings,.,…

1 Like

@roger_holland I tried to follow in your footsteps Rogier but you don’t make it easy for me. I’m looking forward to reading all about your one to one with the boss man.

1 Like

Hi James,
Too much credit :blush:…and I’m rehearsing something I completely screwed up in front of Justin :grimacing:…I do have a recording of the looper from the morning of my hour with Justin (that wasn’t too good and was a big hint to choose something else)…but I really want a video of …Angie …and then tell my story, although there really isn’t much to tell since we’ve just been talking for a long time :smile:… but it has to be fast indeed, I’m going to do my best… :innocent:
Greetings,…

1 Like

@roger_holland

Now about that lesson with Justin, Rogier. We’d all love to hear about it. I think it belongs here: #community-hub:the-1-to-1-sessions-online-lessons-with-justin :wink:

2 Likes

Hi David,
Yes my dear…I just referenced that…I already feel guilty and now you increase the pressure a little more… :blush:
Greetings

2 Likes

Blame it on the heat… hey you were performing in front of the boss man… next time just picture Brian in his dress and wig… that will get you through it with a big smile at the end :smiley: I look forward to hearing what you’re rehearsing :sunglasses: :guitar:

2 Likes
2 Likes

James @alexisduprey @jkahn

Some good Grade2 chat here guys.
I read all the learning log updates as they come in but it’s all too easily forgotten as there’s new updates coming in nearly every day.
I’m thinking of backtracking on your logs to the start of the grade as I’m sure there’ll be some good info back there.
Thanks all
David

Oh and…erm…we guitarists go on adventures these days - journeys are for strictly come dancing contestants !

3 Likes

Finally got around to oiling the fretboard, polishing the body andbchanging the strings on the Epiphone Hummingbird for the first time since I got it 6 months ago. I had Gibson’s tutorial on in the background as a reminder. Still to do the other two guitars, I’ll do them next weekend or so as the strings still feel and sound ok for the time being.

Added a couple of more 90s songs to my practice schedule: Slight Return by the Bluetones, The Circle by OCS and The Day We Caught The Train by OCS. Three songs that remind me of my youth and include aspects that I need to consolidate like using sus chords for embellishments and that Bm chord that’s been my nemesis when it comes to playing songs that have it.

1 Like

Finally making progress on thumb and finger independence. Figured I’d share my learning approach in this log in case it was of interest to anyone delving into fingerstyle. The approach is based roughly on that taught by Tommy Emmanuel and John Hatcher.

It starts off with a warm up using Justin’s finger stretching exercise using the thumb to pick strings 4, 5 and 6, the first finger to pick string 3, 2nd finger to pick string 2 and 3rd finger to pick string 1. All the while ensuring that only the finger plucking moves.

After the warm up I start off with a metronome plucking the 6th string on the beat (or alternatively strings 5 or 6) for a minute.

Then move onto a similar exercise using an E Chord where I pluck string 6 on beat 1, string 4 on beat 2, string 5 on beat 3 and string 4 on beat 4. Alternatively I may use an A chord and pluck string 5 on beat 1, string 4 on beat 2, string 6 on beat 3 and string 4 on beat 4 or with a C chord pluck string 5 on beat 1, string 4 on beat 2, string 6 on beat 3 (fretting 6th string on 3rd fret) and string 4 on beat 4. These exercises I find helps me to drill in playing on the beat with the thumb.

Next up I take the last exercise and bring in the fingers. Whilst the thumb plays on the beats the fingers will pluck strings 1, 2 and 3 on beat 1 in first bar, then on beat 2 in the second bar, then on beat 3 in the second bar and then finally beat 4 on the 4th bar. Then I repeat that exercise but playing on the & after the beat with the fingers instead of on the beat.

Then finally I’ll practice with the fingers playing individually. So whilst the thumb is playing on the beat finger 1 will play on beat 1, finger 2 will play on beat 2 and finger 3 on beat 3. Then repeat but with fingers playing on the & after the beat instead of on the beat.

This seems to be working for me and will see how I get on in a months time.

6 Likes

Sounds like a sensible routine, James. At risk of resource overload, I used the drills in this video for a while: Fingerpicking Tips To Save Years of Guitar Practice - YouTube <ay be worth a look, perhaps adding into the mix for extra variety to keep things fresh.

2 Likes

@DavidP

Thanks David, you could never overload me with resources. I’ve bookmarked it for watching on the computer during the week. It’s always good to mix up the drills not only to keep things fresh but a day off I find helps embed what you’ve been practicing.

1 Like

August 2022

Entering the third month of my Grade 2 Consolidation next week. It has been a challenging and very rewarding period with still a lot to learn and consolidate.

One area which I am quite content with the progress I have made is fingerstyle. I’m feeling confident with the fingerstyle patterns taught in the classic course which I recently realised is now covered in Grade 3 of the revamped course.

The past couple of days I have been thinking of which songs to learn to close out the consolidation of fingerstyle and decided upon learning Wonderwall and Don’t Think Twice Its Alright. So I will add these two songs to my future practice sessions.

4 Likes

We’re really close to each other, I’ll be entering my 3rd month of G2 consolidation the week after. Agree 100% that it’s been both challenging and very rewarding. Such a crucial aspect of the learning experience.

Love fingerstyle, I took a sneak peek at the G3 module and am super excited to get there too! Good luck on the rest of your consolidation. Seems like you’re doing great!

1 Like

Thanks Alexis.

Yes, it’s amazing how fast the time goes by when you’re having fun with it. You are spot on, it is a crucial aspect of the learning experience as you are not focusing on completing to move onto the next module. You’re more focused on ensuring that you have a solid foundation and learning songs from memory that apply what you have learned. I’m looking forward to focusing on going back over rock techniques in due course as I think that’s an area I struggled with a bit. So I’ll be watching your rock study for inspiration.

1 Like

In case anyone is interested and has not heard the stripped back version of Wonderwall. I read an interview a while ago where Noel Gallagher said that they never got the song right and that Ryan Adams was the only person to get the song right which led me to checking Ryan’s version of the song out.

1 Like

Hi James. Don’t think twice doesn’t have to be fingerstyle.

This kind of stuff makes you want to give up! :woozy_face:

1 Like

I wish you luck with both songs! :+1:

1 Like