Someone help me with G to D chord change!

I am unable to play mad world , how to save a life due to this chord sequence. Please help me.

It might be an idea to introduce yourself, tell us how long you’ve been playing and how far through Justins Beginner course you are. Then describe specifically what you are not able to do and ideally share a video of you practicing that sequence so others can perhaps give you some tips.

The G and D open chords are pretty early on in the course and whilst hard for a brand new beginner are not necessarily hard for people have been playing for some months.

A usual recommendation for improving moving between chords is to slow things down and just practice moving backwards and forwards between the two chords until things become automatic.

2 Likes

Hello Rohit,

What Jason says is the best way,… switch slowly and perfectly between these 2 chords and sometimes switch with a chord that goes smoothly to the trickiest of those two…slow and perfect…and at some point like magic. …is it going well.
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

i am on consolidation phase

I remember this being a challenge for me until I realized I could pivot from my ring finger as I changed between these chords.

Notice how your ring finger is on the third fret of the B string in both chords? Keep it in place and use it as an anchor as you move the rest of your fingers. Practice making the change as slowly as possible, focusing on how each finger moves from one chord to the next. Go back and forth between G and D. Feel how your hand and other fingers pivot around your ring finger.

With some practice, this will become one of your favorite and most reliable chord transitions.

Mad world was one of my consolidation songs =). For me I just spent a week of my practice schedule with G and D chord perfect and G to D OMC. If you feel like seeing my attempt here’s a link: Mad world - Chord Progression (Consolidation song 3/5)

It’s not perfect but I got it to that level focusing on those changes in my practice routine.

EDIT: Should also mention that my 10 min of song practice was dedicated to Mad world. I did a week of consolidation per song with my practice focused on the song I was playing.

1 Like

@Rider2040

The OP is in Grade 1 the stuck 3&4 lessons don’t come until the end of Grade 2
In Grade 1 both the 3 finger and 2 finger G chord have open B strings.
So your ring finger and pivot comment will probably be of little help.

2 Likes

Try out the one minute changes exercise.

I still fall back onto these for new chord progressions :+1:

1 Like

Hi @rohitinc and a very warm welcome to the community.
You have already been given so much good advice.

To improve the D to G chord transition, try this:

Start with one of the chords …

• Hold your fingers near to but not touching the strings.
  • Touch the fingers where the chord is but do not press.
  • Once you have all fingers touching at the correct place then press them down.
  • Do not strum - this is a fretting hand exercise only.
  • Release the pressure after a few seconds but keep touching the strings.
  • Then move your hand away from the strings by a small amount. All fingers away.
  • Repeat the process for one minute.

Choose the other chord …

• Hold your fingers near to but not touching the strings.
  • Touch the fingers where the chord is but do not press.
  • Once you have all fingers touching at the correct place then press them down.
  • Do not strum - this is a fretting hand exercise only.
  • Release the pressure after a few seconds but keep touching the strings.
  • Then move your hand away from the strings by a small amount. All fingers away.
  • Repeat the process for one minute.

Then, to improve changes to and from the D and G chords, repeat the above process with one alteration. After the final step of lifting all fingers away, the next move would be over to the chord that you are changing to. Once that chord has been done and fingers are lifted away, go back to the first chord of the pair.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Make this exercise last a few minutes.

1 minute - D alone
1 minute - G alone
1 minute - D and G

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

4 Likes

OMC exercise is most definitely your friend, stick with them and they will come!! Richards advice above is also bang on.
And welcome to the community :raised_hands:

1 Like

Try this open G major chord and then thank me later:
I never play the standard open G with the third finger on the high E string.

You can even mute the A string with your third finger and still have a workable open G chord. That B note is kind of useless, for the most part and in this context, because we get a B note from the open B string.

Switching to all other open chords is easier from this fingering – the chords are all there towards the nut or just below within easy reach.

1 Like

A variation on the above can be using fingers 2 & 3 on the high and low E strings while muting the A string. Then finger 3 would be a little closer to its place in the open D chord.

@CT useful fingering, and whilst it’s good for Em to G, not so easy G to D which is where @rohitinc was having the problem. A change worth persevering with but it isn’t introduced until the next Grade.

I think @Richard_close2u has given the best advice so we don’t confuse Rohit.

2 Likes

I appreciate your opinion. The post from @Richard_close2u does not suggest a specific fingering and does not conflict with my suggestion. I’m comfortable assuming that @rohitinc is not so easily confused and is willing to try another approach at this point.

1 Like

Hi, thanks and I also support your right to give whatever advice you see fit.

Being Grade 1, Richard was recommending just following Justins fingerings so far. This course has been constructed in this way for a reason hence why I don’t feel the “weak finger G” appropriate for the moment. My opinion only, and glad it works for you.

No offence was meant to yourself, and I apologise if any was taken.

2 Likes

No offense taken. There is room for discussion of all things.

I did a search to see if you posted any of your playing and didn’t find anything. I did find this quote that is completely on point:

Play on playa!

2 Likes

Thanks all for such quick and helpful responses and tricks!