Saturno - November 2022 - Somewhere Only We Know - Keane

Been off here for a while. Busy buying a house (stress!). Here’s my version of a beautiful song I really love. I’m working on my strumming at the moment, trying to keep it solid and give it some feeling. Excuse the squeaking at the end. My dog joined in on the last few bars with her squeaky toy :grimacing:

11 Likes

That was beautiful Claudia. Instantly recognizable from the first couple of chords. Also love this song and you played and sang it perfectly. Superb performance!

Thanks so much Eddie. I’m never sure whether I’m kidding myself that I’ve done an okay job or if I’ve just made an embarrassment of myself!

2 Likes

That was really nice Claudia, no reason at all to beat yourself up, it was a really good confident performance to me! Definitely good enough for an open mic night.
Keep them coming :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Claudia, I suppose many of us are prone to those feelings of doubt and anxiety.

Suffice to say, I can’t recall you ever sharing a recording that was not far better than just ‘okay’, never anything to be ‘embarrassed’ about (and even if our shared recordings here are at levels with mistakes, inconsistency etc due to our current level of ability, there’s still nothing to be embarrassed about; this being a place focused on learning not landing recording contracts).

This was not exception, I say you are doing well with your goals for your strumming. Sounded smooth, steady, good feel throughout. And the vocal sounded just as good.

The only suggestion I’d make would be to think about mic placement. I felt the vocal was a little behind the guitar, still quite audible, but not as upfront as I personally prefer a vocal when singing with guitar as accompaniment.

Video perspectives can be deceiving. That said, appears like you have a condensor mic (assuming the mic in shot was being used for the audio) that was positioned head/mouth high and angled towards the guitar. If so I think this results in the vocal being picked up off-axis. I would suggest experimenting with a mic position at the same height but with the mic inverted, facing the mouth, perhaps slightly tilted towards the guitar. I think that may result in a more upfront vocal without losing the tonal quality and projection of the guitar.

I stress, I still heard and enjoyed every word of your vocal performance, and the suggestion is very much my own personal taste.

Good luck with house buying and move.

2 Likes

Hello Claudia, I can understand you, moving house is listed as one of the most stressfull life events! I don’t know the song but I really enjoyed it, the singing went along with the playing so beautifully! :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Darrell. We’ll see about the open mic!

1 Like

Thanks very much, Silvia. Try listening to the original if you have the time. It’s wonderful x

1 Like

Thanks David. I will try experimenting with the position of the mic. I would prefer the vocal to be a bit more prominent (I think!). Thanks for the encouragement.

Hello Claudia, this was wonderful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::clap::+1:. I love this song, too. Somewhere in my old CD collection I should find the album.
Thanks for sharing your video and bringing this song and the band back to my mind :hugs:.

1 Like

I love it! My cats just watch and never join in.

1 Like

That was terrific Claudia. Loads of dynamics in both your vocal and your playing. A super confident performance. Well done.

1 Like

That’s a fabulous chord progression, and quick with it!!
Loved that performance Claudia, your vocals were beautiful with it and you’re clearly digging the song. Terrific AVOYP, bravo! :clap:

1 Like

Not familiar with either song or artist but what I heard was pretty good across the board. Solid timing and as folks have mentioned, nice use of dynamic bring energy and attention where needed. Singing was also fab especially given the range you covered. You should be well proud of this one !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well now Claudia you need to not let that voice of self-doubt creep in there as this performance should shut it up once and for all. A lovely song that I thought you did a wonderful job off. Nice changes, great strumming, excellent vocals. What’s not to love.

1 Like

Superb! Claudia another one of my favourite artists and you played and sang the song very well.

1 Like

That was wonderful Claudia. Great timing on the strumming, clean chord changes, and excellent vocals. :clap:

1 Like

Beautiful. And what a great song :grinning:

1 Like

Well done Claudia. When I read the song title I wasn’t sure that I had heard it before but as soon as you started playing it instantly came back to me. A great song which you played and sung very well. Superb.

1 Like